1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recruiting is the life blood of the program. A look into the shaky 2012 Sooners:

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by goingoneight, Oct 4, 2012.

1. ab5sr

ab5sr New Member

And aside from all of the attrition of those players, do the same analysis on their overall recruiting ranking. (Yours looks at only body-count...who came and who left). We haven't lit up the recruiting world, nationally, over the past seven years or so.

2. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

For 2009 at least, it looks like Oklahoma fared much better than OUr biggest rival, which had a success rate (such as it is) of only 24%.

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2012...ive-alex-okafor-kenny-vaccaro-garrett-gilbert

3. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think you are discounting some of the 2010 defensive recruits. There are some stars in there that are just lost behind some upperclassman.

DE Chuka Ndulue (backup DE has yet to make a big splash)

Best run stopping DE on the team. 13 solo tackles is tops among the DL and is 2 more than Tom Wort (who has like 50 assists). The problem here is that he is a blue collar guy who sticks his assignments and is in position every down. Those are the things that fans never notice (think Corey Heinecke here).

LB Rashod Favors (moved to DE... plays sparingly)

This kid is a beast off the edge at getting to the passer. Unfortunately, he's playing at the deepest position on the team and is behind a guy who is at this stage much better against the run -> David King.

LB Corey Nelson (starting OLB)

Quietly having a very nice year and seems to be getting better every single game. Tops on the team in TFLs and 3rd in PBUs

DB Aaron Colvin (Great all-around DB who excels in cover skills and tackling)

Potential All American here. Currently playing at as high a level at corner as anyone I've ever seen here.

DB Tony Jefferson (Great all-around defensive player who excels at tackling, reading and disrupting opposing offenses)

Agree. Our 5 secondary players have as many tackles as our starting front 7. He lacks the size to be a TGRW next year, but he could come close in the new scheme. Potential Early Entrant

DB Julian Wilson (shares time in nickel and dime packages in new 2012 defense)

Dude looks pretty stout at the nickel especially at stopping those short drag routes

4. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

Stars and rankings don't mean as much as having guys on hand to develop and produce. We don't have to have a Jimmy Clausen if we get a Sam Bradford and we don't have to have XLK if we get Steven Coleman. The point of this thread is how we're weak in numbers. That more than anybody's opinion on high school talent is why OU has struggled at times. It's easier to reload at QB, WR and RB than it is to reload in the trenches and that's where we've been hit the absolute hardest. Even if those guys ended up just being steady contributors, it's a completely different ballgame than having to borrow a scout team defensive end and make him a starting right guard.

5. redkid

redkid New Member

I thought if a college honored the scholly of a injured recruit that could not play anymore ,,that it would not count towards the limit?

6. goingoneight

Honestly, I never looked into medical hardship athletic scholarship details like that. All I know is the reason why they were brought to OU and they couldn't participate when all was said and done. Unfortunate for all parties

7. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

Been saying this for a long time. You have to account and plan for attrition--it's GOING to happen.

You guys are currently ranked 33rd on rivals for the 2013 class and have 11 commits. How do you think that you will finish and what are going to be your biggest needs after this season?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  8. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

prob finish in the top 15..usually start slow.
    Oline/Dline...big time.

9. goingoneight

Problem is "planning for attrition" is what recruiting is all about. It's getting four star linemen to say goodbye to their mama and keeping five star athletes out of jail. The only way to make up for those kinds of hits is to sign more players. I don't believe OU can do that or if it's just Stoops's choice not to oversign.

10. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Am I blind? I don't see Caleb Gastulum in your lists....I think he's getting some special teams work.

11. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Interesting how the right coach can make a shaky roster play pretty well.