1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Wishboned, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Wishboned

Wishboned New Member

They're really reaching on "rock and roll" for a lot of their nominees.

Donna Summer
    Joan Jett
    The Meters
    Public Enemy
    N.W.A.
    Albert King
    The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
    Kraftwerk
    Randy Newman
    Procol Harum
    Rush
    the Marvellettes
    Deep Purple
    Chic

2. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

rush - that ought to stir up a little discourse on the message boards

3. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Never been a fan of Rush at all! ...but they prolly deserve to be in.

4. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I was pissed they've passed on Donna Summer twice before... no doubt some disco hate, but she was one very talented singer. Maybe now that she's dead they'll do the right thing.

5. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Kraftwerk and Procul Harem = One Hit Wonders (and that is only if you consider the only song either of them did that anyone in the known Universe can even name a "hit". I cannot stand A Whiter Shade of Pale . . .)

Does any OHW deserve to be in the R&R HOF? I think NOT!

I would allow Rush if Joan Jett, Randy Newman and Deep Purple get in, though some might object to Randy since his music is not rock but movie and television soundtracks moreso than any other genre. But I still like him.

6. CobraKai

CobraKai New Member

I wonder when Dexy's Midnight Runners will be on the ballet?

7. Wishboned

Wishboned New Member

I'll bet money they're on it before Kiss.

8. GDC

GDC New Member

It's about ****ing time Rush was nominated. Now they need to add Cheap Trick.

9. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I'd seen Cheap Trick quite a few times but it had been quite awhile. Same with Rush but I saw their 2112 Concert and have been hooked ever since. Cheap Trick had some songs I really liked but they just weren't the Band that I felt Rush had become early on. I saw Cheap Trick on one the the free channels and they played an entire set of their best songs. I was amazed at how good they still are. They deserve a place in the RRHOF on longevity at the very least. I will always be a fan and as I've grown older....they have a place in my heart too.

GDC likes this.
  10. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

Some groups get in by being highly influential. Kraftwerk is there primarily for that. They also made some highly regarded albums. If you don't like any music with electronic instruments then they are not for you. It's not just about hits, but if you like, you can fill your ballot out for Boyz II Men in a few years.
    Randy Newman isn't just a movie tv music guy. He's been writing since the early 60's.

11. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I really like Kraftwerk at one time. I can't remember what album it was that caught my attention but it was a long long time ago....

Seems like maybe Allan Parsons Project had become famous at the time....I could be off a few years though...

[video=youtube;SqTOwBnNNfc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqTOwBnNNfc&feature=related[/video]

12. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

[video=youtube;QcbmtP_Frd8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcbmtP_Frd8&feature=related[/video]

13. OUmillenium

OUmillenium New Member

I agree, although a few months ago i bought a cd because it has the Rush song that Kerry von Erich used as his ring entrance music in the early 80s. Modern day warrior stuff

I also love joan jett, missed her in tulsa couple months back

14. Sooner24

Sooner24 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The Rock and Roll HOF is bogus as long as The Moody Blues aren't even nominated, let alone inducted.

15. SanJoaquinSooner

wow, i didn't know that. That is bogus.

16. SanJoaquinSooner

Donna Summer. They finally did the right thing.

17. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I had a day to kill when I was in Akron so I visited the R&R Hall of Fame...I wasn't really that impressed...

18. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

She had some very nice songs, too. Glad she made it.

19. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Might as well take away the awards for the Beatles, Elvis and Led Zeppelin, if the Moodys aren't there.

20. OULenexaman

OULenexaman New Member

nope.....me neither....it's an overhyped commercialized work of nothing. No Moody Blues but Donna Summers is up?? They can go **** themselves..