1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN: Coaches on the hot seat

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by badger, Aug 15, 2012.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Fun read... unless you are named in this story.

Link

I agree that Cal's Tedford, Rocky Top's Dooley and Florida's Muschamp are in trouble.

In the Big 12, I really thought Mack Daddy was in trouble till whorn gave him a lucrative extension. Silly whorns.

2. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Okay, so I never played Div I college football. For the very simple reason that I was not good enough. So I have never experienced life inside a major program. That being said...
    So much is being made this year about Saban and 'The Process'. And I think Saban does a great job; but is 'The Process' really that unique or special? Doesn't any good coach (or manager, or commander for that matter) try to prepare his or her people and then make their tasks easily comprehensible and achievable? It seems like pretty straightforward manufacturing operations philosophy in any successful org these days. Am I missing something?

3. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Having "the process" and managing "the process" are 2 different things. The former just requires a bureaucrat while the latter demands a leader. There will be many attempts to copy Saban's process, but few successes.

8timechamps likes this.
  4. webfoot

webfoot Member

profound.

5. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

Unless they too, can manage to bend the rules successfully as Saban.

6. ictsooner7

ictsooner7 New Member

Two things to look at with Alabama and LSU are they sign 25-27 kids year and and year out - with an 85 limit. Second how many juniors and seniors do they have that are not playing. Not many, if they don't produce they get cut. We don't cut players for non-performance.

7. badger

Ah, so you do venture outside the Obamafest forum occasionally :p

I would normally agree with you on Stoops not cutting non-performers, but we just had too massive of an exodus for there not to be some Stoops-mandated attrition. Whether they were non-performers or just team cancers that needed to be Komen-for-the-cure'd, I do not know.

Oh man, wouldn't that be awesome if team cancers were forced to wear pink? That would shape em up fast, hehe

8. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Kanto, if by "process" you mean ending scholly's for poor performers and forcing them out or grey shirting, then yeah, we all could enjoy the fruits of the process. I happen to think it is not ethical or fair. If college football has gotten to that point, then we don't need college football, just make a semi-pro minor league to feed the NFL.

9. SoonerAtKU

SoonerAtKU New Member

Oh I don't think anyone doubts that Bob has had to have tough conversations with players and tell them their services are no longer required. That's going to happen at any program. However, when a website can accurately predict EXACTLY how many players will leave the team in the offseason, through some combination of medical or transfers, then you know that it's more than just smoke.

10. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Until the NCAA decides to put a stop to skirting the rules, then nothing will change.

When that time comes, and it will seeing as not all programs do it since it does give those that do it an advantage, then the coaches like Saban and Miles will start to falter.

Eventually the NCAA will put a stop to it, but not until the rest of the programs get tired of it and force the NCAA to do something.

11. badger

To the university presidents (and NOT the head coaches) of the SEC members' credits, they voted to limit the number of signees in a class (while the coaches voted against it). They had the final say (surprising, I know) and now, SEC programs cannot sign more than 25 in a class.

Alas, even this can have some negative impacts.

12. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It seems obvious the over-signing/culling is a factor. Sabanball would respond that it's legal, so to not take advantage is other the schools' problem. He is right to a degree and OU could probably get better by doing this. But it's not that easy as most schools don't have the recruiting draw to do this. I'm not even sure OU has enough - I'd say borderline. As OU_Sooners75 said, the NCAA needs to somehow stop or at least limit this practice or the entire sport will suffer from the lack of true competition.

13. SoonerAtKU

SoonerAtKU New Member

I don't know how you combat it when he's "encouraging" players to transfer to get playing time. In some ways, it's even in the kid's best interest, but it's clearly to Saban's benefit. Sooner or later, a rule is going to be put into place that punishes this behavior, but will also punish good coaches who have a run of bad luck with injuries or transfers. It's a tough situation.

14. 85sooners

85sooners New Member

Chip kelly

15. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I would agree, but, and take this at face value, I'm not attacking anyone, is that the root of Saban's success? If not, what is? Is it this mystical 'Process' the sports journo's keep writing about?

16. cccasooner2

cccasooner2 New Member

The SEC coaches followed Jerry Tarkanian in the first link but went the other way in the second link.

17. Jason White's Third Knee

Jason White's Third Knee SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Saban produces championship teams. That is good enough for most people. I think he is a ******.

I am proud of the program that Stoops runs. He doesn't over-sign. He cuts the thugs. Can't say that about Saban, Lester, or Pete Carroll back in the day. ******s, the lot of them.