1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melatonin...

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Turd_Ferguson, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Quit run'n your mouth and brew some more jelly, since somebody stolt my pint ya gave me:culpability:

2. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

So you about as smart as that broad that conned the Tax folk out of 2 mil, then got caught cause she was stupid .:watermelon:

3. Turd_Ferguson

Anytime I get caught...it's cause I was stupid...pay tention:D

8timechamps likes this.
  4. 3rdgensooner

3rdgensooner What?

Yeah, I don't think it falls into the "herbal" supplement category.

I've never had any difficulty sleeping. But when I recently changed jobs, I needed to start getting to bed earlier. I've used Melatonin many times and I can definitely feel it kick in and help me sleep more quickly and soundly. Contrary to the above, the dose I'm currently using is 5mg.

I don't use it every night but I have heard that if you take it every night, it is good to take a break every 6 weeks or so.

5. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Melatonin works, but you don't want to use it, or any other sleep aid, as a nightly thing. It works best when you take 5 mg 30-60 minutes before bed for a few days to get your sleep patterns right. After that, I know you won't want to hear this, but you just need to do more "natural" things like; remove TV/computer/electronics from bedroom, lower temperature in house, go to sleep at similar time every night, don't use electronics right before bed, find a routine such as reading before bed, etc. There are a million different things I could list, but you can just as easily google them.

But yes, melatonin does work. The more you use, the more tired it makes you, but the harder it is for you to get up in the morning. I use 5 mg when something has completely jacked up my sleep patterns and there is no way I will get to sleep when I want. If I'm just not quite tired enough, I'll probably use closer to 3 mg.

6. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Who'd have thought a thread entitled "Melatonin" could be so hot? This is not an ego booster. "Fiber" could be the next big winner.

7. Turd_Ferguson

Don't try to **** on my parade...OV had a birthday thread that went about 97k pages a few years ago...I'm trying to out do him:bi_polo:

8. olevetonahill

Heh. Speakin of which got another coming up next month. Doubt we will ever hit that record again tho

9. Turd_Ferguson

Heh. They said we couldn't...and by God we did...didn't we:D

10. olevetonahill

Heh,
    what was it well over 1000 posts that night 40 er 50 pages

11. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

red and blue tuinals, lipstick-red seconals

chew some valerian root and get more exercise

12. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

on a serious note, have you tried breathing?

it sounds like a dumb question, but i've read the same beginning instructions to relieving stress, slowing your heart rate, controlling pain, and lucid dreaming. basically breathing deeply in through your nose, and out of your mouth, just focusing on that action for a few minutes. i've actually tried it with things like a toothache and insomnia. it takes a fair amount of patience though.

i'm generally not one for drugs very often, so i'm not one to pop pills, etc... to try to sleep. if i did, cannabis is a pretty good one :)

13. Cheerin' 4 OU

Cheerin' 4 OU Member

Firstly, I need to mention that for over 20 years, I had horrible sleeping problems and finally (just last year at Christmas time) decided to start seeing a sleep doctor at Integris. The doc, himself, isn't the nicest of people, but he knows his stuff about sleep and has been the only doctor that's ever been able to help me sleep.

I use melatonin fairly regularly right now and I can tell you that it's the absolute only thing I've used that has ever allowed me to sleep in a predictable manner. I used to take melatonin when I was going to OU 20ish years ago and it was really fantastic, but I had heard some terrible things about how it would most likely kill me and turn me into a seal-eating zombie that tortured little old ladies with chest hair, so, I gave it up. When I started taking it again a couple of decades later, I found that it just wasn't working for me.

I told Dr Evil Integris Man about my history with melatonin and how it just didn't work for me any more, and he roughly told me that I was full of crap and didn't use melatonin properly and then he proceeded to give me a buncha sleep diaries to keep up with and taught me how to properly use the melatonin.

Turns out that Dr Evil Integris Man was correct: I was using my melatonin improperly. He had stated that in order to use melatonin properly, I needed to take it 3-4 hours before I wanted to be asleep. He gave me buncha information about how it works and taught me about sleep cycles and all of that. So, the day I started taking the melatonin 3 hours before I needed to be asleep, I actually had no problems falling asleep (even after napping earlier), and actually waking up feeling completely refreshed.

He never said anything about getting off of it for a couple of weeks after a period of taking it regularly, but due to putting myself on a very regular sleeping pattern, and getting rid of the tv in my bedroom (I turn out the light at a certain time and close my eyes instead of reading a book or watching tv), I've found that I really don't have to take it every single day. I think I use it once or twice a month now and it's awesome.

8timechamps likes this.
  14. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Ive heard melatonin had something to do with adjusting hormones. Once they adjust you are immune to it and it doesnt work anymore?

I used to take it and i found that I did build a tolerance to it. Worked good for a little while though.

Luckily now I dont need sleep aides. Just needed to get up earlier and be more active. heh.

15. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

I've tried it a few times. All it did was give me the dry heaves in the morning.

16. OULenexaman

OULenexaman New Member

Ambien should have a warning label that includes "if bedroom is up stairs and you want to sleep in bed...do not take while downstairs having a beer."

8timechamps and Turd_Ferguson like this.
  17. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

You people. Here's what you do to get a good night's sleep:

Pay your bills. Don't lie. Don't steal. Don't cheat. Don't gossip. Don't kill anyone (except the ocassional hooker). Pray. Work hard. Very hard.

Works for me. If you can lay down knowing you didn't hurt anyone, don't owe anyone, are thankful God gave you another beautiful day to breathe in fresh air, and that you've given a solid day's work then sleeping comes easy.

Blue likes this.
  18. OULenexaman

OULenexaman New Member

but sometimes even when all that is done.....along comes an agency known as the IRS. Even if you have done nothing wrong....they will **** up a sleep pattern.

19. sappstuf

sappstuf New Member

Bad news for Ambien(zolpidem) users...

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000850.full?sid=f0956753-511d-4e70-9230-c1e8aa5df0d3

20. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Only stuff I use to help with jet lag and sleep time problems. All natural...