1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shootings downtown after the Thunder game.

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Sooner24, May 22, 2012.

1. Sooner24

Sooner24 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Anyone heard any details?

2. Cheerin' 4 OU

Cheerin' 4 OU Member

I read at newsok.com that they have two suspects in custody - arrested at Harkins.

3. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Idiots.

Were they community watch program volunteers?

Probably just looking for people wearing hoodies.

5-0

4. Okla-homey

Okla-homey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Thuggery at an NBA game? I'm shocked!

5. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

Probably LA fans....Where's Metta World Piece of $hit....???

6. Sooner24

Sooner24 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Probably Tulsa wnba fans. ;)

7. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

OKC > Tulsa?

8. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Or vice versa.

Nah, they were probably wearing NBA jerseys.

9. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

this is why we can't have nice things :mad:

Chuck Bao likes this.
  10. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Sooo... should I no longer root for the Thunder to win the championship? I originally thought I'd be happy if either NP's Spurs or Oklahoma's brand new pro franchise won it all, but now I'm not sure I wanna see OKC go full-on championship riot :(

11. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Local Country DJ this morning said that OKC has now proven they can support an NBA team...

Hoping for a fast and healthy recover of the injured. DP to the perps...

12. badger

The latest newsok update says that 6 of the victims are in good condition, one in critical. No arrests for the shooting yet, although they did post a video of someone getting arrested... my guess is that it wasn't a shooting suspect, but rather, someone just getting in the way.

13. XingTheRubicon

XingTheRubicon SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There may be no more useless type of human than a Laker fan that lives in the middle of the country.

14. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

no need to qualify ;)

15. AlboSooner

AlboSooner New Member

I was there last and was close to the incident.

I didn't hear the gunshots as a train was going by at the time. I was still under the bricktown train pass when it happened.

Cops have a stressful job and it's difficult to control crowds, and truth be told OKC PD deserves some criticism for the handling of the situation last night.
    For some kind of reason you had groups of 15-20 cops just hanging out together close to the arena. As we walked towards our car, the fewer cops we saw. I don't know why they don't spread out.

NY City police handles a million people for new year's. Crowd control is never about numbers, but about the perception of power. Cops need to be seen everywhere and they need to have people in street clothes walking around.

I type this criticism with the tremendous respect for police officers. I know they have a tough job.

16. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

it's not like there were THAT many people. Norman handles way more than that for football

17. cleller

It is also likely that most of the police you would see where actually working for the arena, and not on-duty officers. In those type of situations the arena would be footing the bill, and exerting control to keep the officers close, to protect their arena, etc. The further you get away would be the responsibility of on-duty officers being pulled away from their normal assignments.

NYPD is a totally different setup, with many times more police, and foot-beat officers due to the high concentration of the population. OKC doesn't have that kind of manpower.

In the end, this is kind of shooting wouldn't be unusual in NYC, LA, Las Vegas. No way to stop it when you've got those types of people smashing together these days.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  18. badger

Two arrests now. Methinks that OKC PD are gonna be out in greater force during the Spurs series.

19. cleller

Better crowd! :surprise:

20. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Update on perps?