1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big 12 to add FSU and ND (for 3 years in olympic sports then full member)?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by OU_Sooners75, May 21, 2012.

1. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Oh really?

Got this from a freeboard for West Virginia:

http://westvirginia.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=33&tid=155329942&mid=155329942&sid=891&style=2

What do you all think?

2. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I can't say that would surprise me. At this point, anything is possible.

3. soonerboomer93

soonerboomer93 Dirty bastard

I'm fine with ND as long as they're bringing Football. It's okay that they have 3 years left on their TV for FB but they have to be bringing FB at some known point.

4. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Exactly. They need to hitch their wagon just like everyone else.

5. Phil

Phil Administrator Staff Member

Articles:
    Swaim? That Aggy? He's got no credibility whatsoever. Love to see it, but I'm not putting any stock in what Swaim has to say.

6. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

IIRC, Greg Swaim is that OSU mouthpiece (but I could be remembering wrong), so I don't put much stock in what he says since, if he's the guy I'm thinking of, he's made some pretty outlandish (and wrong) predictions.

That aside, if that's the case, then to land FSU and ND to fill out the 12 would be as heavyweight as it gets. I mean, wow.

That would mean, in the last few years, we've traded:

* NU (only real loss of the group)
    * CU
    * Mizzou
    * Aggie

for

* TCU (a little meh, but lately they've been worthy)
    * WVU (very respectable, better than anything we've lost but NU)
    * FSU (powerhouse)
    * ND (powerhouse)

That just blows my mind to consider.

And, yes, football *must* be part of the deal for ND, as long as the entrance season is agreed to up front, and not something ridiculous like 5 or more years. If the 3-year thing were the case, I'd have no issue with that.

7. Penguin

Penguin SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Olympic sports? What? We only get their fencing and ballroom dancing teams for three years?

8. OU_Sooners75

If Swaim is correct (which I agree with Phil, I doubt he is) then they would join the conference in all sports but football for the remainder of their NBC football contract (3 years). Then after the 3 years is up, they would be a full member in the conference, which means all sports, including football.

If this is the case, and like I said coming from Swaim, I doubt it, it would be a huge development!

9. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Just think, if Byu had come over, in time we'd have the Baptists (Baylor), the Catholics (ND), the Mormons (BYU), the Christians (TCU), and the atheists (Texas).

10. soonerboy_odanorth

soonerboy_odanorth New Member

FIFY

***cow worshipers

11. soonerboy_odanorth

soonerboy_odanorth New Member

Speaking of cow worshipers...

All this rumor and innuendo is, well, just that... rumor and innuendo. I wouldn't put any stock in it... for the time being.

However:

Should the coup of the century take place, and FSU and ND do both join to bring the conference back to XII, then the 800 lb gorilla goes on a serious diet.

Picture this... we are at a full XII, with OU, ND, FSU, WVU, and other strong programs bolstering the conf including TT, KSU, and oSu.

Texas says, "Hey yo... we're thinking about going independent again or playing footsie with Cali. How 'bout you give us more money and let us show Texas high school football on LHN."

Can you imagine the collective response? I can. It would be somewhere between "I'm sorry, did you say something?" and "I hear BYU is still independent. Maybe you can start your own conference with them."

Which is to say... this has about 100,000,000 to 1 odds of happening. Texas likely will fight this because they would have to yield too much power.

Remember... DeLoss is pretty adamant that 10 is a nice number. And contemplating this brings clarity as to why he likes 10. Because at 10, with OU the only other true all-time power, they can call the shots. ND comes aboard, not to mention another power program like FSU, and that goes away in a big hurry.

12. OU_Sooners75

LOL

You do realize that each school has equal say and equal veto power as it is now, right?

13. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm Swardboy, and I approve this FIFY.

14. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Why that didn't happen:

BYU: We're as valuable a brand as Texas!
    Texas: No you're not.
    OU: You're really not, sorry.
    Boone Pickens: Where da hell is Provo?!
    BYU: :mad:

And... that was the end of that chapter.

15. setem

setem DTF

Notre Dame is going to get throttled in the Big XII! They will lose to OU, Texas, OSU, KSU, WVU, TT and TCU pretty much every year! Then add FSU if they join...it will not go well for them!

16. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

ND would be throttled right now, that's true. But i have to wonder if they would adjust their admissions standards as part of conference alignment. I also wonder if the association with the conference will give them a boost in recruiting. I know they're as big a name as you can get as in indy, but that has to also carry some burden. I look for WVU and, if they join, ND to enjoy some increased performance within 3-4 years due to conference strength.

17. budbarrybob

budbarrybob New Member

ROR!

18. budbarrybob

budbarrybob New Member

I would put my money on FSU and Thug U, before FSU and ND to the B12

19. setem

setem DTF

Not sure what you meant by your last sentence? You look for WVU? WVU already joined...not being a jerk just trying to understand.

20. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

The way I understood it, he looked for WVU to get better by joining the Big 12. Kind of like I look for Baylor to suck next year, I look for Poke State to barely make a bowl, I look for OU to win the Big 12 again, and I look for Texas to be mediocre by Texas standards again :mack:

But... I disagree. West Virginia has enjoyed a status in the Big East that it won't so much in Big 12 as far as football is concerned... a status where being ranked in the 20s will not prevent you from going to a BCS bowl.

EDIT: The couch burners were ranked 22-23 in the BCS, Harris, AP and Coaches polls and finished the season 17-18 in the AP/Coaches polls, respectively. Of course, they proceeded to throttle Clemson in the Orange Bowl, winning 70-33. If you thought our Fiesta Bowl against them was bad, can you imagine losing 70-33? Uggggghhhh

Last edited: May 22, 2012