1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morel Mushrooms

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by soonerhubs, Mar 29, 2012.

1. GDC

GDC New Member

2. soonerhubs

soonerhubs SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Flagstaffsooner likes this.
  3. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

We picked about 6 pounds of them on the Deanarosa last week. Momma rolls them in Bisquick, then fries them in butter. You don't need anything to dip them in. And no, they don't taste like a normal mushroom. These suckers are food of the gods.

4. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Damn Dean, Morels? You should have taken them to OKC and sold them to a fancy chef type person. That much is worth some coin.

5. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

OK, hit the creek area today and found some. I first spotted that giant one, then noticed the others nearby. I looked around for another 30-45 minutes, never found any more.

Still, it was fun. Addictive. Are they tough or something when they get this big?

[​IMG]

6. achiro

achiro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

7. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

That's really not that big. If I could post pics again (imageshack ain't working for me) I'd show you some bigger than your hand. And no, they ain't tough. Slice them in half or thirds, roll them in a little Bisquick (or flour with some salt/pepper) and fry them up in butter. I like the big ones better than the little ones. I've also learned from the Iowegian wife that there's yellows, grays, etc. and they do taste a little different. We've got both. I think she said the color depends on how early/late in the season you pick them.

8. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Also, don't pull them up with the dirt all over them. Kinda break them off at the ground.

9. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Are you supposed to only cook the part that looks like a brain, or the stalk too?

I got these things with a garden hoe, because the terrain and briars were so tough.

10. OULenexaman

OULenexaman New Member

This is 100% true.....allows them to come back next year......6 lbs worth?? You lucky bastard....

11. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Cook it all. Don't waste one morsel of morel. I've eaten them for 8 straight days now. I read somewhere you ain't supposed to do that since they could become toxic. I'll let y'all know if I start seeing ****.

12. IB4OU2

IB4OU2 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I had my first Morels this weekend. The wife fried them in butter and they were magnificent!