1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morel Mushrooms

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by soonerhubs, Mar 29, 2012.

1. soonerhubs

soonerhubs SoonerFans.com Elite Member

1st time hunting them Tuesday. Enjoyed eating them today.

Any other Morel hunters?

2. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If I knew where to find them, I'd be out look'n...

3. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

I don't know how you can find any mushrooms at all with as little rain as we've had (the last big storm notwithstanding).

4. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

You better be careful....!!!!

5. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I don't do mushrooms pusher-man. :D

6. soonerhubs

They were so good. I want to go hunting again.

7. achiro

achiro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I've never gone out specifically looking for morels but I usually find a bunch when I'm turkey hunting. The soil around here is pretty sandy and no matter how much I clean them there always seems to be some grittiness left in them. Never have that issue with the ones I find in eastern Oklahoma or Missouri.
    I love them though, not much better to eat from the outdoors than a plate of grilled turkey breast with a side of morels.

8. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Poor turkeys...

Seriously, there is nothing more exciting than when you are calling in a gobbler...enticing him into your lair...you can hear him getting closer and closer...but don't move, don't even blink....

9. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I ran into a couple of mushroom hunter walking along the road about about 2 weeks ago. They had only found a couple, but it go me interested.

Even though I don't really like mushrooms, I wanted to find some. Read all about it on the internet, and hit the woods. Never found one.

Since the big rains, I've seen lots of toadstools, so maybe I ought to try again. Of course the ticks are getting going good now, too.

10. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

They are good and we used to hunt them all the time with my father. West of Hominy on a certain creek is a sweet spot. I can't believe they're out already.

11. IB4OU2

IB4OU2 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

One of my employees brought me some just yesterday. Any recommendations on how to cook them?

12. picasso

My mother used to batter and fry them. The Oklahoman had an article this past week of a local chef cooking German schnitzel with them. He said he plucked them that very day.
    Normally they aren't out until the first rain of April.

13. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I watched some junk on youtube to get an idea, anyone know any tricks to find them in these parts? Creekbanks, deep woods, roadsides?

Are they under leaves, usually?

14. IB4OU2

IB4OU2 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Sounds good pic. I'll try them this weekend. Thanks!

15. picasso

Thick woods near a creek. I always looked in the shady areas during daytime. It's like finding gold.

16. 12

12 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I ate a bunch of them before the 1984 Van Halen concert.

Good times.

17. 12

12 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Oh, and I always found them around heaping piles of shade-protected bovine excrement.

I guess that would explain seeing Mötley Crüe when they weren't opening for Ozzy.

18. Flagstaffsooner

Flagstaffsooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You folks from tex-***, eat these.

[​IMG]

soonerhubs likes this.
  19. soonerhubs

Morels  Woot.jpg

These were very delicious breaded, fried, and dipped in Ranch. I'm a Morel newb, but I think I may pursue this hobby annually.

20. picasso

Yes! I've actually found them growing out of a cowpattie.

Awesome Hubs. I'm jealous.