1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on the seismic exploration in Lincoln County.

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by cleller, Jan 30, 2012.

1. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

A few months ago I posted a question about what to expect when a big company wanted to do seismic exploration on our land for a mapping project for oil companies. Since then guys on four wheelers have been all over the area, flagging and staking places for the project. Last week, we heard a bunch of racket, and found two machines like this chewing thru a path on our place:

[​IMG]

These suckers don;t knock down trees, they chew them up, leaving behind mulch and a few medium sized chunks of tree branches. We were startled, but it turned out pretty well. They are clearing areas where a vibration truck can enter to do the soundings. The crews have been good to try and stay on areas where I already had some trails.
    Way back on one corner of our property there's a wooded area so thick and tangled you can hardly hack your way thru. I now had a road through that I can drive my tractor on. Even made a creek crossing.

[​IMG]

So far, so good. Hopefully they'll get their "vibe truck" in and out before too long, and it will all be over. I may have to find out who owned those big tree eaters. It can clear in a few minutes what it would take a man with a chainsaw days to accomplish. And no brush piles left behind. Just one day with that thing, and I could get all my clearing ideas done.

2. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

I see a good spot for a tree stand....!!!

3. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

I hired a guy in one of those machines a few years ago to clear some underbrush and all small trees 6 inched diam and smaller. The price was $250 per hour or $500 per acre. When finished we had a nice 6 acre area of mature, scattered trees.

4. I Am Right

I Am Right New Member

I want one, by the way do not sign a seismic unless you have signed a lease, a good way to
    reduce your mineral values is seismic without a lease.

5. Petro-Sooner

Petro-Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Those vibe trucks are cool to watch. Had a chance to be up close to a few during a shoot for a class. They'll shake the ground pretty dang good. If your around the days they are doing the shoot ya might want to check them out.

6. IB4OU2

IB4OU2 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It's amazing how those vibe trucks work in unison and the depth of the reflections produced and the detailed data they provide the geophysicist.

7. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

You guys are telling me this thing
    [​IMG]

Can just virtually eat up forest(Oklahoma sized trees, obviously) area like its no big deal?

That is awesome. What are the capabilities of a machine like this? How big can the trees be that it eats?

8. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Goats will clear brush cheaper but you'll attract Aggies if they find out you have them. Once that happens, your horses ain't safe either.

9. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Dude done said up to 6 inch diameter
    Pay Tention

10. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Do a search for Prentice tractors and they have lots of vids on the various attachments...they make logging eq...

11. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

6" seems to be the Standard with Goats and Horses when Aggies are involved.

12. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

:tan::drunk:

13. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I was talking with the kid running the thing, and asked him what the basic operation was. He said smaller trees, they just go right thru them. Trees with a trunk around 12 inches in diameter, they start about 10 feet up the trunk, and chew thru it pretty quick, they then mulch down whatever hits the ground. They then return to the trunk, going up and down, and chew it all gone. Takes 2-3 minutes.

I pointed out a mature, old post oak, and asked if they can go thru those. He said they usually avoid them if possible, but could still take one down in about 5+ minutes. These operators clearly had a good feel for what they were doing, and picked the logical routes.

The cutters on the front end spin around like a sawmill. They can be raised up probably 10-12 feet. The machine is so big, it can shove down just about anything they'd encounter around here. Once its on the ground, they can grind it up into nothing if they take the time. Generally, the closer to the house and civilization they were, the more ground up the debris was. Like large mulch. Back in the deep woods, they'd leave bigger chunks, a few good sized limbs etc. I'm going to collect the good hardwood to cut up into firewood.

In one area, they cut a road around 1/4 mile long thru dense woods in around an hour. I'd never seen anything even close to this for clearing timber. Nothing like the damage a dozer can leave behind, and much, much faster.

14. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Lincoln County can fall into the earth for all I care.

15. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Did they put you in the little holding cell?

16. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

Good God! That is amazing!

Sure beats the hell out of Napalm.

17. 47straight

47straight New Member

Not much scooter parking in Meeker.

18. OUDoc

OUDoc ..............

You have lots of anger. Strangely placed anger at that.