1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garth Brooks won over Integris

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by badger, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

Riiiiight... Integris had those facts as a defense and just didn't use them, right? Saving it for the appeal?

There was a jury which saw all the evidence and was so PO'd by Integris' behavior that they dinged 'em for punitive damages. That's a pretty rare move for a jury in Oklahoma.

2. CobraKai

CobraKai New Member

Yes. The OJ trial taught us that a jury always gets it right.

3. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

The OJ Trial taught us that even being a bad actor with a lot of money could buy you freedom from a mass murder conviction in California.

Not sure what it had to do with an Oklahoma Jury.

It's more to do with an Oklahoma jury getting this right and you pointing out that California is really messed up.

4. sooner59

sooner59 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The thing that got me was that I couldn't believe the behavior by Integris. Who in their right mind would have gone to the lengths to make this that public and against an Oklahoma icon for crying out loud. People have important jobs that normally keeps this stuff from happening. The only sane explanation is that Integris was so angry at Garth (for whatever reason) that they said "**** it"....they knew he was going to get his money back because he wanted it back and he was Garth Brooks. So they made him at least work for it. What doesn't make sense is....why? Garth had to have done "something" to make them act like that. Otherwise, they would kissing his *** and doing everything they could to make him happy in hopes that he subsequently donates more. That's how the game works. That...in and of its self...is why I have an extremely hard time believing that Integris just acted as an evil corporation trying to steal money from a simple Oklahoma man (who happens to be maybe the most famous Oklahoman alive). It just doesn't make sense. I absolutely believe that the "articles" about the trial don't tell everything about what actually happened. We won't ever know exactly what happened, but I will forget this whole occurrence aside from believing that both parties probably acted in a way that would make me shake my head and they made a dispute very public that never needed to be that public. Both came away seeming somewhat justified and somewhat petty. Whatever. OU just beat K-State in bball. That is a bigger headline in my book any day.

kbsooner21 likes this.
  5. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

The same thing that's wrong with a lot of businesses. They are mismanaged by people who think their poo don't stink and think they have the clout to just cost the Company a half million.

When they suddenly have the board of directors call for their resignation they realize they will be sitting in the park M-F talking to the squirrels about that job they used to have that that Damn Garth Brooks cost them.

Either that or they find a hobby and start riding horses in Glenpool and later Garth writes a funny song about them and gets another Country Western Award for his Third or fourth Comeback Tour and then buys a Hospital and puts his Mother's name on it.

6. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Dude, I'm sure you've made some cogent points in your last few posts, but it's hard to tell. Why? Paragraphs. They're your friend.

7. sooner59

sooner59 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I was pretty drunk. I'm amazed that it even made sense.

8. Ton Loc

Ton Loc Well-Known Member

You guys are funny as hell. I've never seen so much acceptance of a story in our crappy newspaper about a guy who has been known to be a bit of an ***, is an aggie, had the trial in his backyard, and has been known to have money problems.

He gave money without understanding the rules.
    Integris tried to help him out.
    It got out of hand.
    The rest is just pure nonsense.

No way in hell he should get another 500k in punitive damages. just give him his money back and everyone go their separate ways.

BTW - Turd - you don't know your first name about this story.

9. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

It showed that lawyers are sometimes worth every penny.

10. badger

That email about making Garth work to get his donation back was probably what pushed the jury over the edge in punitive damages and a 100 percent return of the original donation. I'd say that guy that wrote it might want to get his resume updated or just resign before he's personally held responsible for this award.

11. Okla-homey

Okla-homey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Then please tell them your family members, next time, do not take something like this to trial. You settle it, as early and as quietly as possible. sheesh. Now I'm gonna have to check and see who Defendant Integris' lawyer was. Because he sure as hell ain't no Okie trial lawyer. I'm guessing he's some kind of transactional lawyer.

12. Ton Loc

Ton Loc Well-Known Member

This could not be more true.

13. badger

As a complete aside, I will never donate to any non-profit that solicits via phone... not only because phone solicitors are annoying, but also because those non-profits usually use a company that keeps a portion of whatever you donate, so a good chunk of your donation isn't even going to the non-profit.

14. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

that and they sell your info to other non-profits, because then you start getting called by every other place that knows you are on the sucker list

15. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Homey....did you miss the part where they wanted Garth to work for it?

Funny as hell they put the judge and some Jurors to work too......LMAO.

Is this one of those trials they will use to teach law students about? You know like "Garth Brooks vs Guys who thought they had integrity"?

16. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I think this sums it's up pretty well. Although, I'm not giving Integris a pass, because they clearly could have handled it better.

17. CobraKai

CobraKai New Member

Exactly. Those saying otherwise are ignorant of the facts, or are just Garth fans and don't really care what the real story is. Garth wanted naming rights for $500,000. Integris said naming rights on a new building costs $14 million, but you can get a wing for $500,000. Integris should have given the "anonomous" donation back.

Just like in the OJ trial, juries don't always get it right, particularly when you are dealing with a local legend and icon.

18. CobraKai

CobraKai New Member

Integris' attorneys are Oklahoma-based Crowe & Dunleavy. I think it is safe to say they advised a settlement. Obviously both parties must agree to settle.

19. TheUnnamedSooner

TheUnnamedSooner Well-Known Member

I'm just posting because Garth Brooks is mentioned in my sig.

8timechamps likes this.
  20. Oldnslo

Oldnslo Radioman

Homey is right. Integris was rep'd (in part) by a guy I know. He's a transactional/business lawyer. I'm not aware of anyone at C & D who is known for trial skillz. (That isn't to say that they don't have someone; it's that I don't know if they do).