1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tobacco ban at ALL of Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by badger, Jan 23, 2012.

1. rekamrettuB

rekamrettuB New Member

Did you post this in the wrong thread? :sneakiness: Love your point but are you saying smoking/dipping is being productive?

2. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

im very anti-tobacco overall, but this seems a bit excessive.

3. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I know that the regents are gonna rubber stamp this regardless, but if you could offer an alternative plan to them than a blanket ban on the entire stadium, what would you do? Please consider:

1- The rest of the campus, aside from a corner of Dale Hall and the LNC parking lot, will be smoke-free, regardless of what the stadium policy is.

2- The existing policy reads: "Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium is a non-smoking facility. Designated smoking areas are located at gates 1, 5, 7, 11. (West Side ramp for Santee Lounge & Upper Deck Patrons and near Section 234 for those in the upper deck east side.)"

4. I Am Right

I Am Right New Member

Alternative Plan- Freedom!

5. rekamrettuB

rekamrettuB New Member

You have the freedom to not go to the stadium, or any place for that matter, that you don't agree with their policies.

6. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I don't know how I would address the campus issue, but for the stadium, allowing re-entry would go a long way in making the smoking public okay with this ban. As for the chewers, it's going to continue to happen anyway, so there's no real effect.

7. I Am Right

I Am Right New Member

Good Post!

8. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

And Yall have the FREEDOM to hold yer breath while I smoke :very_drunk:

9. badger

Is there any room to expand Oklahoma Memorial Stadium to include a pavillion of sorts with restaurants, shops, etc?

If so, a bar and smoke area would probably be a good alternative... but it might involve forcing Molly Shi to give up part of the lawn north of the stadium... which is a swampy mess most of the time after rain anyway, so no major loss.

I know we have a mini-Washington Monument on the north lawn now, but eventually, i see us adding cheap upper deck seating to the north endzone bowl (or expensive luxury suites...hmmm) and below that area can be the pavillion with a warming/cooling area (the Packers added a heated area like this when they last expanded the stadium) that people can use not only to cool off, but perhaps also, get a tobacco and alcohol fix.

10. prrriiide

prrriiide New Member

[​IMG]

11. Sooner5030

Sooner5030 Well-Known Member

man.....I miss the days of taking hits from my duggout (sp) before walking to class. Not sure what it has to do with smoking cigs in the stadium. But it made me remember those days. Going to class with a little high sure is better than the reality I deal with these days. Of course my job pays better though.

12. badger

As expected, the regents rubbed stamped this. Tobacco-free by July, except two corners of campus.

I wonder if students are gonna have some smoking/tobacco events before then to protest... and, you know, not litter any cigarette butts or tobacco refuse afterward, of course :)

13. FirstandGoal

FirstandGoal New Member

Disclaimer: I used to be a smoker

I have mixed feelings about the ban. While part of me thinks that this kind of thing oversteps boundaries, I can't help but be glad its happening. I became a smoker in college. Why? Not for most typical reasons. My personal reason was because a couple of people in my study groups were smokers and they would go on and on about how smoking could give you great mental focus and calm your nerves. So.... I lit up with them. Gimme a pot of coffee and a pack of Marlboros and I was good for an all-nighter.

Seriously, I was that stupid. If smoking had been banned from the University of Oklahoma, I would have never started a habit that took me nearly 17 years to kick. It would be different if smoking weren't absolutely positively linked to about a million health problems, but because it is, I support the ban.

14. 1890MilesToNorman

1890MilesToNorman New Member

Why don't we just ban the game? It's a violent sport where kids get hurt. Ban the concession stands from selling foods that may or may not harm you? Ban the vehicles that supposedly pollute the air from parking on campus.

Get you heads out of your asses and stop being hypocritical about things you don't participate in. We are supposed to be a free society and that includes your freedoms as well as mine.

SoonerTank likes this.
  15. SoonerPride

SoonerPride Collector Emeritus

You are free to smoke off campus.

Have a nice day.

16. badger

Smoking is a spectator sport too, my dear, except there's no barriers between a smoker's fumes and my nose, unlike that brick wall separating the football field from the fans.

17. SoonerGibb7

SoonerGibb7 New Member

As I am reading this thread, I have a pinch in.

8timechamps likes this.
  18. AlboSooner

AlboSooner New Member

It all sounds melodramatic and all, but the simple fact is that smoking causes cancer, heart disease, and high blood pressure.

Regardless how we spin it, nobody has the right to cause you cancer. Your freedom ends when it infringes upon mine. It is quite a stretch to say that people don't have personal freedoms because they can't smoke everywhere they like.

19. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

Nobody is causing you cancer smoking at a football game. It is different to say, hey, I'm working in the food service industry all my life and advocate a total ban at restaurants and bars because I'm around smoke all the time. I find that stance extreme, but at least I understand it. It's another to say you can't smoke at football games in the concourse because the 2 seconds of smoke I inhale for 6-7 Saturdays a year are going to give me cancer, heart disease, and/or high blood pressure. That argument isn't just extreme, but also fallacious.

In any case, I see OU did the expected thing and wussed out, so my point is largely moot. The Smoking Nazis win again.

20. tennsooner

tennsooner New Member

I honestly hope you don't believe all that crap. I have had a number of Dr.s over the years tell me their worst fear is that one day everyone will quit smoking and when that time comes they will have to come up with a new excuse for why people have diseases. I think you have OD on the hype. If you believe all that crap go to a hospital like Vanderbilt and see how many Dr's are lighting up in the parking lot.