1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, I didn't go with the iPhone.

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by 8timechamps, Jan 21, 2012.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Today was the day I had made the decision to get a new phone. Since I started looking into a new device, I've flip-flopped a hundred time between an iPhone and a Droid (OS) phone. As with anything, anytime I asked someone their opinion, if they were an iPhone user, the said "get an iPhone", if not..."don't get an iPhone". So today, I went to the AT&T store and looked (played with) at both of them.

I settled on the Samsung Galaxy S. The only real difference (for my use) is the iPhone 4s has Siri, and the Samsung allows Flash. So far, I'm loving it. I can't believe how far out of the loop I fell since my last new phone.

Anyone that uses a droid phone, what are the "must have" apps? So far, the coolest one I've downloaded is a baseball score book (for my son's youth baseball team). It's a traditional score book, but it compiles all of the information and spits out all the season stats. (I know I'm getting old because I'm excited about this app).

2. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i feel like i'm always looking for the home button when i use an Android phone

3. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well, the cool thing about Droid is, if you go read the Droid forums, you can learn how to make the Droid into whatever you want. Layout and function is up to you.

If you have unlimited data, Sprint is truly unlimited. I would get PDAnet. It is a work around that allows you to use your phone as a modem, even if your provider prohibits tethering.

As I am on the road so much, I use this for streaming Hulu or Netflix on my laptop.

Sensorly will show you VIA a map were the 4G service is.

I use about a dozen others that are automatic, and I don't even remember the name of.

Just think of what you want to do, and search the marketplace.

If you are ambitious enough to root your phone, you can use add blockers or really change anything about the phone.

8timechamps likes this.
  4. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

scorecenter from espn is a free way to quickly check sports scores. I use that one all the time when I can't watch games for whatever reason (out running errands, at get togethers without tvs on, etc).

there is also a sf.com android app that I use to participate in game threads while watching on tv but don't want to also camp in front of a computer :D

8timechamps likes this.
  5. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

you can't use an app to add a physical button though :)

PDANet is there for the iPhone too. i want to like the Android and the flexibility, but i just can't make the jump yet. i'm kinda getting close though

6. delhalew

What button do you need that doesn't exist or can't be created with a widget?

7. dwarthog

dwarthog Well-Known Member

The NFL's droid app is pretty good.

Yahoo's sportacular app is ok as well, particularly if you don't care much for ESPN.

Taptu is a good news aggregator if you are interested in something like that.

Angry Birds if you want to spend a bunch of time playing a game.

One app that's kind of handy is Google Voice. You can set it up such that you can use google voice from your PC to send text messages through phone. Probably want to be sure you have unlimited texting before doing that. Doesnt' work with multimedia messages though.

8timechamps likes this.
  8. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Advice? Go buy a ga-giant battery. My experience with the droid sucked the large one. Battery life was like 7 nanoseconds. My iphone battery lasts a couple three days if I don't go wild surfing the net. If I go wild, it lasts 2 days.

8timechamps likes this.
  9. delhalew

There are ways to make the battery last much longer. If you activate GPS, Bluetooth, ect and start using the web without being plugged in...what do you expect?

10. delhalew

Also, on the topic of battery/charging, one of my favorite things about my Droid and every other one I've seen, is the use of micro usb for charging. That connection is used for tons more stuff than that proprietorory iPhone connection (if they are smart Apple would have changed that with the "S".

No doubt, the other end of your cable is full size usb. So that fits your computer or included wall plug. The best thing I ever bought was a generic charge cable that included a 12v plug with fold out wall plugs. Obviously, you could use one of those with an iPhone also.

Something like the one pictured here. Available in every gas station.
    http://www.alternativewireless.com/car-wall-cell-phone-charger-mini-micro.html

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  11. 8timechamps

Thanks for the input.

As far as battery life, the phone I got (Samsung Galaxy II S) has some great features that allow me to see what is using my battery, and the option to turn those things on/off (i.e. WiFi, GPS, etc). However, had I not discovered that function, I could have easily drained my battery in about 6 hours.

Apparently, this phone can be used as a mobile hotspot, so I'll have to figure out how to do all of that. I have AT&T, so they don't have an "unlimited" data plan. I went with the biggest one they offer (I think it's 4GB a month) and it's $35/mo. I wish they would be more competitive with Sprint and offer the truly unlimited plan.

The SF.com app was one of my first downloads, but it's going to be a while before I feel comfortable enough with the keyboard to post much from my phone.

I also figured out the text to speech (Google) feature. I was actually surprised how accurate it was. But, once in a while it spits out some crazy ****.

12. delhalew

Yikes. I don't even want to think about the charges I would be hit with if I had AT&T. I'd burn through 4GB pretty quickly.

13. 8timechamps

Other than actual calls and texts, I rarely use my phone for anything else (that would require data downloads) during the week. On the weekends, I'll use more data, but even then I don't think I'll go through 4GB. I still hate that they don't offer unlimited, because I hate to feel like I'm constrained. I'm hoping they will go that way soon. It took forever to get unlimited talk and text plans, then suddenly everyone had them...I'm crossing my fingers that will go the same way with data plans.

14. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

they started that way...

15. 8timechamps

I know, that's what doesn't make sense. They should at least offer that as an option...I'd pay for it. DAMN!

16. afs

afs New Member

I also picked up a galaxy s ii this week. Love the phone and AT&T carried over my iPhone unlimited data plan. Not too excited about paying $20 a month as the only text option. It does have a home button, it's in the shape of a house and you can program it to go to whatever screen you want. I'm happy with it being an iPhone replacement.

17. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

it's just so disorienting in my old age ;)

18. delhalew

Yeah, that big house is confusing as hell:)

It's funny, the few minor disputes I've had with Sprint, my threats to go to another carrier are completely empty...until someone can match their unlimited plan.

During the week I stream like crazy at night, and surf half the day. On the weekend I might even download a torrent. My phone is so effective as a modem, I haven't chosen any of the awful internet options available were I live. I just use my 3g, which is fast enough to stream movies. 4g is blazing fast. If I wasn't unlimited, I'd be boned.

19. 1890MilesToNorman

1890MilesToNorman New Member

I have a Droid, my suggestion is to turn it off and go about life!!! Good stuff when you need it but get back to your pre-droid time.

20. delhalew

I got a set of harmonicas for Christmas. Low tech!