1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The SEC Domination Of College Football Will Soon Be Coming To An End

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by FaninAma, Dec 5, 2011.

1. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

2. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

This is OLD news...but at least you are acknowledging that the SEC HAS BEEN the dominate conference.

I'll repeat it again--oversigning is NOT against the rules and it will continue.

3. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I bet Alabama does not sign an average of 28.25 players a year like they have for the past 4 years(compared to 22.75 for OU)

If you don't think the new limits will have an effect you are stupid. But I will agree with you, if there is a way that Saban can unethically, but legally, skirt the intended goals of any rule he will do it. Its just that now it will be a lot harder.

4. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

It's against YOUR rules now :D

and yeah, it will impact your, or Nick Satan wouldn't have raised a big stink about it.

My guess is that SEC schools will take less chances on talented, but marginally academic athletes and go after more sure-qualifier status players if they have only 25 to give.

Or, they start writing it into their scholarship offer letters that they can only take 25 and we have the right to rescind this offer at any time up till signing day (I think many already do this).

5. Sabanball

We currently have 21 signees for 2012 and about 6-7 more left on our board that are expected to sign. I fully expect us to actually sign 26-28 players, maybe even one more if we can flip Jameis Winston. But at the end of the day, I'm confident with 4 back-counters we will be ok and within the SEC rules.

Again, with attrition you are stupid NOT to oversign.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  6. smackramensooner

smackramensooner New Member

I hope this guy has a kid who gets signed by an SEC school and then gets grayshirted, that way the coach can tell him, "Hey, you'd be stupid NOT to screw people over this way!"

7. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I saw the title and thought it was because the SEC admitted a&m and misery to the league . . .

8. sooneredaco

sooneredaco New Member

Bawhahahahaha!
    That's a knee slapper!

And I'm sure Saban will find a way around it. And I don't fault him for it . If you can find a way to gain an advantage that is not against a rule or find a way to go around it, hey why not.

Guess that's why they have the last 6 titles. It sucks but it's true

9. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

It's all cyclical anyway. I remember when the Big 8 was the badass on the play ground. Whether it's over-signing or not, it's only a matter of time.

10. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There was no such thing as oversigning when the Big 8 was in existance

11. Sabanball

Lol...you're right. Back then Switzer could sign 125 players and some of them just to keep them from going to Okie St or Texas.

12. budbarrybob

budbarrybob New Member

He was mearly trying to keep the uninformed from making a grave mistake

SoonerTerry likes this.
  13. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

You do realize that 25*4 > 85 and 25*5 >> 85, right?

You don't have to sign over 25 every year to cover attrition.

14. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Alabama only began implementing those radical "math" courses a few years back. They're rather backwards down there.

15. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

They're one year deals until they become no year deals. Greyshirting means the kid never actually gets the scholarhip he signed for.

And, for the record, that paper that greyshirted kid signed is binding for him. Once he signs he can't go to another school without sitting out a year - even if that scholarship never materializes.

And, by the way, schools can now offer 4 year scholarships. If kids know this at the time the offer is extended, they're going to think twice before going to a big-time school is isn't offering the 4 years.

16. TulsaSooners

TulsaSooners New Member

It's really a wonder to me that the SEC is able to win at the rate that they do, especially considering the recruiting talent that permeates that conference. It is not rare to see half of the top 20 incoming recruiting classes come from that conference. You would think that they'd have to have years where no one can go above 10-2 at best, and thus other conferences could beat each other in the MNC with the SEC excluded.

For awhile I liked Stoops' logic of remaining in the Big whatever, coasting to the MNC, and hoping to avoid an SEC team, but I'm now starting to think that there is a great deal of merit and recruiting appeal in playing big games week in and week out and coming out battle-tested as a result.

17. soonerhubs

soonerhubs SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I agree 100%, but I'm sure our troll who considers his coach of the highest ethics will call us crybabies for pointing this out.

Attrition, eh? The facts remain: Many of these programs (LSU and Bama) put the actual academic futures of their athletes on the back burner in order to make more money by winning.

"Oh, well he didn't pan out so we gave him a grey shirt and now he's stuck here with no financial support even though I promised it to him."

Hurray for winning at all costs, including the success of the student athletes who put it all on the line for a chance to eventually make it big in the NFL.

The SEC is nothing less than a magnified example of the metaphors perpetuated by Stone and Parker this past year on an episode of their animated satire. So keep on thumping that chest *********ball while other programs actually practice a thing called integrity (making and keeping promises of scholarships).

[Note: There were some big words used in this rant, so if someone can dumb it down for the benefit of Les, Nick, and his followers, it would be much appreciated.]

18. SoonerAtKU

SoonerAtKU New Member

Attrition is one thing. Forced attrition to make way for more productive players is quite another.

The problem is, it's too easy to recruit a star 18 year old and convince him he'll never have to worry, because he's going to be the guy and someone else is going to have to give up their spot for his incredible talent. Then, if you negatively recruit and mention Saban's history, the player has to think "What, you don't think I'm good enough to beat out those other guys? Why should I sign with someone who doesn't believe in my talent?"

soonerhubs likes this.
  19. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think the SEC will still manage to do pretty well.

20. SoonerTerry

SoonerTerry Well-Known Member

You really are not on the right side of this arguement. Wins are not more important that the future of the kids playing the game.