1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaching Changes

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by TopDawg, Nov 7, 2011.

1. oumartin

oumartin New Member

Fuente was a head coach already? WOW, maybe he needs another shot.

2. mdklatt

mdklatt SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The Bob Davie announcement surprised me. Dude's been out of coaching for a long time. But it is New Mexico.

I guess Urban Meyer is over his "health problems"?

3. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The trend continues.

4. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I wonder what those fired coaches are thinking... maybe they're like Charlie Bucket watching the golden tickets get snatched up by those that already seem to have so much compared to him... and then when he finally does get a golden ticket himself, what do they tell him??? This.

5. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

You can add Mike Leach to Washington State which was announced today that a deal is pretty well done on the radio. Another coach not currently coaching.

6. badger

How could we have missed this? Howard Drunkieburger is retiring at season's end! FAU will have a coaching vacancy shortly. Add to master list, plz

[​IMG]
    Howie: TWO martinis, please!

EDIT: Oh wait, it's already up there, hehe

7. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

An idea for schools suffering through multiple one or no-win seasons, host an NCAA Football 2011 tournament with the winner named their Offensive Coordinator for 2012 in exchange for sponsorship by EA Sports (say something in the low 7 figure range). This person would be responsible for naming starting lineups and play calling for all games, and be paid a salary commensurate with what the school paid the previous OC. Of course, it would be a stunt and the results probably horrendous record-wise, but it could not be any worse than what they were already used to and there would be an infusion of cash on par with a mid to upper tier bowl game.

8. Jason Alexander

Jason Alexander New Member

There's only two plays you need to call in NCAA Football....

Hail Mary and punt block

9. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Houston Chron announced The Pirate to Wazzu by official presser today...

Sherman is 50/50 according to The Chron. The loss to the Horns and losing a half -time lead may doom him. He has the backing of the AD however.

AM1560 (Houston OU radio station) had a round robin about Sabin taking over at UT because many people are tired of Mack...

10. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Sherman out at A&M.

11. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Kevin Sumlin has been mentioned as a candidate that a&m would be interested in but I have a feeling that they are a year late. Their stock has dropped while his is at an all time high. KH has already been mentioned in connection with the Arizona State opening but perhaps he should look to the east . . . Penn State.

12. SoCal

SoCal Member

Gus Malzahn reportedly front-runner for Tar Heels job

At various points last December, Gus Malzahn was reportedly on the verge — or had become — the head coach at Vanderbilt and then Maryland. Malzahn ultimately stayed with Auburn as its offensive coordinator, albeit with a bit heftier bank account.

Nearly a year later, it’s déjà vu all over again.

Malzahn’s name has been connected to the opening at North Carolina for weeks, if not months, and is viewed by those close to the situation as a very viable permanent replacement for Butch Davis. Now, AuburnUndercover.com is reporting that Malzahn has emerged as the clear front-runner for the Tar Heels job.

There has been speculation that a new head coach at UNC, whether it be Malzahn or another candidate, could be named the first week of December, if not sooner.

In addition to UNC, Malzahn has also been mentioned in connection to Ole Miss as well as Arizona. The coordinator was asked about all of the speculation swirling around his coaching future, and, as expected, said he was only focused on the job at hand.

“You know the only thing I’ve done, we’ve got two more games and I’ve got to do the best job I’ve done since I’ve been here and that’s my focus, my only focus,” Malzahn said.

Along with Malzahn, Houston’s Kevin Sumlin and Southern Miss’ Larry Fedora have been prominently mentioned as possibilities. Rivals.com reported Wednesday that Boise State’s Chris Petersen was far and away the top choice for new athletic director Bubba Cunningham, but that appears to be nothing more than pipe dream for the university.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...hn-reportedly-front-runner-for-tar-heels-job/

13. badger

Holy shizzle... Carl Pelini is taking over for Schnellenberger at FAU?!

Link

Now to see if I spelled Howard's last name correctly and the word filter changed it to those three words still :D

EDIT: Either I spelled it wrong or it doesn't auto-correct to "that old drunk" anymore. Lulz

And as for Carl... big temper, big ego, can't believe any school, even hapless FAU, would want him. Guess they're desperate to not go back to being a Bottom 10 part of F_U

14. oumartin

oumartin New Member

Is mark stoops getting any looks?

15. 8timechamps

I haven't seen his name mentioned, but I would think there would be some interest out there for him.

16. badger

He shouldn't take any little offers. Build your resume at FSU (or at another top school) as a coordinator and get a top job for top dollar.

The Tulanes, Memphises and FAUs will always be there. The top jobs for big bucks come up infrequently for coordinators, unless they're the top ones in the nation.

17. badger

PS: Top Dawg, add North Carolina. They are NOT keeping their interim guy, no way.

18. 8timechamps

Supposedly, Malzahn has interviewed for the UNC job.

19. badger

[​IMG]

I just wanted to share that with anyone else who might think Pelini is a coaching candidate anywhere :eek:

20. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My philosophy for this thread is to wait until it's official. All signs point to Pelini at FAU, but it looks like it won't be announced until Monday, so I'll wait until then to list it. I'm even really picky with what rumors I post.

Ehhh...what the heck. I'll go ahead and add UNC.