1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why ESPN Gives LSU and Alabama more attention than us.

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by agoo758, Nov 19, 2011.

1. agoo758

agoo758 New Member

They don't commit false start penalties on critical two point conversions.

Their secondary's don't blow fly routes a half a dozen times a game.

They don't continue to run prevent 3 man line package and hope that the best quarterback in the big 12 happens to make a mistake.

They don't have defensive coaches who do less with more than any other team in the league.

Bottom line, I know I am not gonna convince Dean and stooptroup that Venables isn't an elite coach and that they may never get past the 10-2 hump with them, but the results are clear to me.

That is all, we have blown yet another shot at the title game, but I will always love this team.

BOOMER!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. Okie35

Okie35 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

They go against mediocre offenses almost every week and don't go against spreads all the time. If it is a spread its a spread option w/o a QB that can actually throw. I'm not saying its not possible but there is a reason why we went undefeated in 2000. We didn't go against spread offenses week to week. Sure LSU has a great defense but they got gashed by West Virginia. If they went against that every week they'd lose a game or two.

3. boomersooner28

boomersooner28 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm over it. We will never win another National Title with Stoops. We will lose 2-3 games a year even though we have superior talent over the competition. I'm glad I don't this is seriously as I used too. Thats about it. It is what it is.

TUSooner and landrun like this.
  4. agoo758

agoo758 New Member

I am not going to go over every little point as to why our defense wasn't great tonight, but I am too tired to deal with it right now, but the fact that people on here believe that this was the best possible performance we could have given tonight makes me want to puke on a cute little puppy and **** its in mouth.

5. sortiz1965

sortiz1965 New Member

Correction: we will never win another title with Venables. Stoops has to awaken at some point.

6. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

That's about where I am. When Stoops called the timeout. I said to the guy next to me in the stands, "He's just given Robert Griffin a free shot at beating his secondary again."

I've gotten to the point where Big 12 Championships and BCS bowl games are good enough. I've learned over the past 24 months that our leadership at the schools isn't all that concerned about it...or much else other than making money.

We're happy to dominate this conference, but let Texas call the shots. We're content to let knee injury after knee injury pop up year after year and not question training methods. We're fine having the majority of our losses have the same pattern year in and year out, getting beat deep in the secondary.

No one gets fired. Everyone is loyal. In short, OU football has become as much of a corporate sell out as can be. We win most of the time, so don't ask questions. Money is coming in, so don't ask questions. OU is becoming the equivalent of the American auto industry in the late 1960s through the 1970s.

It's fine. My wife and kids have fun at the games. I just shake my head. By the time I pass the season tickets down to the kids, a new crew will be in charge. Hopefully one that will give a damn about losing to mediocre teams. It ain't the bunch we have on board now.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
    TUSooner likes this.
  7. Tear Down This Wall

Really? Stoops role is working with the safeties. That's his calling card, remember? It's generally the safeties that are screwed up in our losses. Venables is the linebacker guy.

If we're going to criticize, let's get it right once and for all.

8. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Interesting, because from my vantage point that false start penalty saved us. I don't know if you noticed but we missed a block on the edge and there was a blitzing safety that would have had a clean shot at bell in the backfield.

9. rainiersooner

rainiersooner New Member

Maybe I'll feel different in the morning...but right now ^^^ this is how I feel.

10. sooner59

sooner59 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

OU needs to just do away with the football program.

11. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm not going to go all absoluty on Stoops not winning one. Tom Osborne didn't win one for like 15 years and then reeled off 3 in 4 years (Bowden was like 20+ years). Switzer had 10 years between 2 and 3, etc, etc. What I will say is that my expectations aren't the same as others on this board because of the guys we have on the field. That doesn't mean that in the next 2 years they pull their head out and get better players, it just means that as of right now they haven't.

If you had told me in 2000, that Cale Gundy - the guy who only had one back on campus that could pass block - would end up being the best talent evaluator on the staff 10 years later I would have told you you were crazy.

12. colscuba

colscuba New Member

I just want to see Venerabls cone and Mike Stoops, perhaps back. We can't win when we have defences allowing 45 points against us.

13. agoo758

agoo758 New Member

Well quite frankly, our linebackers suck too. In fact, it has been a bigger problem than our secondary with the exception of last night.

14. TMcGee86

TMcGee86 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

15. SoonerinSouthlake

SoonerinSouthlake Well-Known Member

Alabama and LSU do all of these things. you must not have watched the "game of the SECntury"

16. rekamrettuB

rekamrettuB New Member

We can all thank Mike Leach for bringing the spread and its success to the Big XII...the man probably most responsible outside of Stoops for getting OU number 7. It really evens the playing field.

17. Sooner91ATL

Sooner91ATL New Member

This. I love Oklahoma and OU so that is why I care about the football team. I spent tens of thousands of dollars getting my 2 degrees from OU and I am proud to have my diplomas on my wall in the office, out here in SEC land. I work with a bunch of ivy league muckety mucks and I am proud to be an Okie.

But I cannot stand, in life or in football: incompetence, give-up, lackadaisical attitudes, excuses, and making the same mistakes over and over. No excuses for this coaching staff with this talent. So, if this is where the university wants to be, I will vote accordingly with my pocketbook. I love the kids and the school and the team, but I cannot support underachievement. If this makes me something negative in the eyes of some, well, ok, I am good with that. These may be the same people who are ok with an average job performance appraisal and then bitch when they don't get raises.

18. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah New Member

The same Mike Leach whose 7th ranked TX Tech team lost to 25th ranked Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl? Yea that really evened the playing field :rolleyes:

It seems the SEC has little problem defending the spread teams of the Big 12, as well as other finesse type teams that put up big offensive stats (Hawaii vs UGA?). IMO, OU needs to return to its "roots" of a dominating defense and a more balanced, ball control type offense.

19. rekamrettuB

rekamrettuB New Member

On a game by game, week by week basis. Month off to prepare for bowl games are not good to make judgements on. Let me ask you this...if it didn't give the less talented team a better chance to win, why are most colleges utilizing it? And again, who brought the spread to the Big XII?

20. Tear Down This Wall

Oh, yeah...I completely forgot it was the linebackers who gave up all the touchdown passes to Tech. Silly me. I thought the corners and safeties covered receivers. What an education.