1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stoops. The most over rated coach in all of college football.

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by landrun, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oumartin

oumartin New Member

yeah, cuz everyone knows how important NC appearances are ten years from now..

dumb

2. Trophy Husband

Trophy Husband New Member

So "doing something" for the program means he gets a pass?

3. toast

toast New Member

must get there first in order to win them, so it means he's doing something right.

4. Trophy Husband

and none of this means a thing, today, right here and now. Until Bob overhauls his coaching staff (get rid of Patton, BV and Martinez) this same thing will happen EVERY year. We will lose 2-3 games to teams with inferior talent. The T Tech game should have thrown up a huge red flag.

5. Trophy Husband

The fact that we "got there" does not have a damn thing to do with what is happening right here, right now. BV HAS to go, but Bob wont fire him because he's Bob's lil buddy. Instead he will blame the players, blame the fans. We'll here "daaa, we've had a geat deal of success with BV".

6. PhilTLL

PhilTLL Active Member

People won't be happy until we overhaul and go 7-5, 6-6, 4-8 for a stretch.

Edit to put on flame-retardant suit: I still think the 2008 title game was an insanely lost opportunity. THAT one kills me.

7. toast

toast New Member

yup, and all of these football geniuses who have everything figured out will still be griping. defense was horrid last night, we understand that. but to sit back and bitch about what this staff has done is stupid, there are a handful of teams at best that have had as a good as run as we have. should there be some shake-up in the defensive staff? probably so.

8. BudSooner

BudSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I was going to say something, but i'm going to shut up.

9. PDXsooner

PDXsooner Formerly OregonSooner

Alight, can someone please name me a program you'd like OU to be like, and we'll compare results over the last decade.

10. TMcGee86

TMcGee86 Well-Known Member

The sad fact is, Switzer didn't have a single season where he won a championship the way Bob is forced to do now. In 74 he didn't have to play a bowl game and never faced the #2 team that year, in 75 he lost to Kansas and played the #5 team in the bowl game as the #3 team, he wouldn't have even been in the NC picture with the BCS, and in 85 he beat the #1 team, but wouldn't have been in the BCS championship game as he was #3 and had lost to #2 earlier in the year.

This is a different era. Under the old system, Bob probably has at least 3 championships right now.

That being said, the defense sux. Fire Venerables.

11. SoonerinSouthlake

SoonerinSouthlake Well-Known Member

THIS

12. 70sooner

70sooner High Plains Drifter

shouldn't all this be on the Meltdown Thread????

jes sayin.....

13. BudSooner

Ok, i'll bite....LSU.
    The reasons, CONSISTENCY on defense, solid offenses but the team does not seem to ever fall off on D, how many championships have they won? Since 2000 how many times have they been in the 25? Inside the top 10? Top 5?
    And are you going to tell me that Les is a better coach than Bob? He's lucky.....but there is NOBODY that damn lucky.

14. proudsoonergal

proudsoonergal New Member

I'm curious about that as well. I get why people are upset about last night - I am too - but seriously, people. Please name me a coach in the last two decades that has consistently won (conference championships or MNCs), stayed there, and run basically a clean program?

Options off the top of my head:

Since I happen to live in Austin, meaning I've gotten to witness the implosion that is UT football for the last two years (which, btw, has been delightful), I doubt anyone will pick Texas.
    USC?
    LSU?
    Alabama?
    Florida?
    Ohio State?
    Michigan?
    Notre Dame?
    Penn State?
    Nebraska?
    Miami?
    Florida State?

15. proudsoonergal

Okay. LSU. Since 2000 (and this is from cfbdatawarehouse.com):

2000: 8-4, no championship (under Nick Saban)
    2001: 10-3, SEC West
    2002: 8-5, no championship
    2003: 13-1, SEC & MNC
    2004: 9-3, no championship
    2005: 11-2, SEC West (under Les Miles)
    2006: 11-2, no championship
    2007: 12-2, SEC & MNC
    2008: 8-5, no championship
    2009: 9-4, no championship
    2010: 11-2, no chamipionship
    2011: 11-0 and counting

So, since 2000, they've had two coaches, won 2 MNCs, 2 SEC championships (in the same year as the MNC), 2 divisionals, and lost 33 games.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  16. proudsoonergal

And, in the polls:

year AP Coaches
    2000 22 28
    2001 7 8
    2003 2 1
    2004 16 16
    2005 6 5
    2006 3 3
    2007 1 1
    2008 not ranked
    2009 17 17
    2010 8 8

17. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You're right...we are spoiled in thinking we should be better with the consistent 4 and 5 star recruits we get.

We are spoiled in thinking that we should be able to beat Baylor...****ing BAYLOR...and 5-6 Texas Tech at home.

There are more overrated coaches out there than Stoops...but until he commits himself to being the best football program..,.until he embraces the tradition and expectations of the fans like he did when he first got here...until he wins another national championship...he will be overrated in the eyes of may Sooner Fans.

I for one do not think he is overrated. But I do think he is complacent and willing to stay that way unless forced to change!

It is time our fans, OU administrators, and BOR hold Stoops accountable for the complacency and say no more raises until he wins another national championship.

Hell, if I was the HMFIC of things, I would redo his contract (and all coaches contracts) and make it an incentive base contract.

Say something like this:

Base pay $1 million
    win 10 games in a season +300K
    win 12 games in a season +500K
    win conference title +750K
    Win National Championship +5.5 million
    Go undefeated +500K
    Lose to a team with 5+ losses -200K
    Lose to a team with 3+ losses -100K

I know these are not real numbers....just an example of my thinking. And yes, I am aware no one would want to sign a contract with the last two points...LOL

But instead of being guaranteed 4 million a year, I think any and all coaches should not be guaranteed a certain amount...but make it where they can make that much or more by the teams performance.

Guaranteed contracts always spawn complacency!

18. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

In everyone's but whoever was stupid enough to give him a head coaching gig. But don't worry cause there isn't anyone that stupid.

MamaMia likes this.
  19. BudSooner

And ya know what? They are about to get another MNC. We as OU fans expect greatness every year.
    Long term excellence, versus the average SEC short term "grab the gold and get the **** out" type of run even if it means not having a season of greatness.

20. BudSooner

Yeah it puzzles me that his name gets mentioned, it makes you wonder if the people who want him(in a great way, lol)ever pay attention to the defenses he puts on the field.
    If last night is anyway of telling the future then those deep balls we were burnt on should help him get a job elsewhere.

Those phones are about to ring off the hook. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.