1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If OU finishes 12-1

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by soonervegas, Nov 12, 2011.

1. AlbqSooner

AlbqSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

nueter dame in Norman 1957.

2. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

That 2001 loss to OSU was pretty bad.

3. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Arkansas

4. PSK2080

PSK2080 New Member

Under Stoops, the loss to a 3-7 OSU team in 2001 was equally bad. Under Switzer, the loss to a bad Kansas team in 1984 28-11 was very bad, but OU was playing without Danny Bradley and was forced to play Troy Aikman before he was ready. The 1975 loss to Kansas was also bad, but not quite as bad. Under Gibbs, the 42-40 loss to a really bad Iowa State game was bad. I won't go into the Schnellenberger or Blake years. I was barely alive when Chuck Fairbanks was around, so I can't go back further than Switzer.

There have been several close calls too, such as the 2000 OSU game, the 2005 Baylor game, the 1985 Iowa State game and the 1987 Missouri game, that OU pulled out wins against really bad teams.

This Texas Tech team reminds me a little of OU's 1995 team. Both teams simply imploded.

5. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

The difference being that the 2001 team just wasn't very good. It had a stellar defense, but a miserable offense.

6. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I don't even think it would make the top 10, heck maybe top 20. It might make the top 5 of Stoops' regular season losses (behind Colorado 2008, OSU 2001 and maybe OSU 2002)

7. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

It was anemic offensively because of injuries (Jason White ACL Tear, Nate Hybl broken collarbone, 1/2 the OL with injuries). That team at the start of the season would shut this team out.

8. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Bingo. Every Home Game Bob has lost always has one of these threads pop up. It's laughable.

That one was late in the year and after watching Jason White go down with a knee injury and losing the Nebraska Game on the road our Team rallied back and won every game up to that game. We were still so much better than oSu that year and the loss at Home devastated Fans that saw a National Championship the year before. We went on and over came the loss in the Cotton Bowl against a good Arkansas Team. The very next year we lost again to oSu and have put them down every year since.

That was one of the toughest losses at Home that I was sitting in the stands for.

Still.....every time we lose at Home it's bad. Most people no longer come to Norman thinking they can walk out with a win. Tech is one of the first Big XII Teams I've ever seen not act like World Beaters after they pulled off an upset like they did this year. They really suck bad right now. It's really hard to understand how bad they are right now unless the win took every damn thing they had. From the looks of things they peaked that week and then flat lined on the Emergency Room Trauma Table.

9. Sooner Born Sooner Bred

Sooner Born Sooner Bred SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This.
    I will never forget those *******s storming our field and chanting "this is our team." Afterwards Gundy said "it makes our whole season."

10. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Not a chance. The Defense barely got by K-State in September. The Offense nearly got Hybl killed. 38-37 that day. We were lucky to win that one at home.

11. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

We all know which Bowl Game was the worst.....the only thing good about it is that per the NCAA they were a bunch of cheating a-holes and got their Trophy and Hiesman yanked.

12. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

That Kstate team had the roberson as a QB and mobile QBs were the ONLY thing that hurt it. Our offense this year more resembles Cliff Kingsbury's team at the end of hte year.

13. mightysooner

mightysooner New Member

What I remember about the KSU game, and I was there, wasn't Roberson. It was Sproles ripping us a new one play after play.

14. Keller Sooner

Keller Sooner New Member

It was bad, but we've had others that leave you shaking your head.

15. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

You are thinking of the 2003 game. Not even sure Sproles was on the 2001 team as their feature back was Josh Scobey.

The 2001 game was really weird. It was the first game after 9/11 and we hadn't played in 3 weeks (Tulsa (moved) then Bye). Second, we controlled the thing until right at the end of the 3rd quarter when we let up and they pounced (right about the time they killed Nate Hybl).

[video=youtube;w-R1Jf9a9TM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-R1Jf9a9TM[/video]

16. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Add in Walker and Habern. I think we had 6 starters out for that game.

Pluse a home crowd that forgot to show up after he rain delay.

Still should have won.

17. Sooner95

Sooner95 Well-Known Member

The simple fact we had several key players out against TT is a big reason why we could not compete..

18. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

Oh and btw, if we finish 12-1 with the injuries we've sustained this year, this may be Stoops' best coaching job yet.

19. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Flemming, Harris, Wort, Whaley, actually Jefferson also went out with injury...and an oline guy...FAR from healthy...

20. Plexis22

Plexis22 New Member

That 2001 season we had already lost to Nebraska on the road (a team that eventually lost to Miami in the NC). We were going to play Colorado which had just beat Nebraska in Boulder when the 3 win OSU team came into Norman and won 16-13. The following year 2002 was when OU was #1 and lost to A&M in College Station and then lost to OSU 38-28 in Stillwater which our last time to lose to OSU. We won the Rose Bowl that season.