1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The kickiing game.

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Dan Thompson, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Dan Thompson

Dan Thompson New Member

I noticed that we have someone that can place a kick off in the endzone, while most of them seem to land around the 10 yardline.

The fieldgoal kicker that replaced Jimmy Stevens, after he missed the extra point, looked like he has a pretty strong leg.

So all in all, is our kicking game going to be better this year?

2. papawlambert

papawlambert Member

Not really. It would be nice if it were better.
    Papaw

3. PSK2080

PSK2080 New Member

I don't blame the missed PAT on Jimmy...it looked like our new holder (Nyko Symonds) turned the laces towards Jimmy instead of away from him...but on another occasion it looked like Nyko did a good job getting a high snap down and we hit the kick...

4. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Sooo... we have five kickers on scholarship now, don't we?

That is just befuddling. But, I trust Stoops.

5. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Was anyone else happy to see the kick-off coverage work? I've become accustomed to getting nervous on kick-offs...I hope this is a trend that will stick around a while.

6. thecynic

thecynic New Member

Merv was complaining on the radio that we have kickers that can kick it into the endzone in practice but don't do it during games. And that the depth of our kickoffs was exactly where people practice for them to go, so when they don't go into the end zone, then we're letting them have the ball in a comfort zone.

7. badger

It's because we're screaming OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO too loud. Please refrain from OOOOOOOOing in the future and we will kick the ball through the endzone more often ;)

8. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Makes sense to me. However, I still prefer a kick out of the endzone.

9. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

Yes. Last year's coverage was cringe worthy. Same thing with our kicking game last year. The missed PAT gave me a "not this year too!" moment.

10. thecynic

thecynic New Member

I really wasn't clear. I meant to say the kicks were going to where the return team practices getting them. so when they go to the 5 or 10, the return team is receiving it in their comfort zone.

11. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Finally! A poster that understands physics.

12. BoulderSooner79

Jimmy was 53/53 on XPs last year, so it was the converted XPs that should have given you the "not this year too!" moment. The missed one was a new twist.

13. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So being benched surely was a bit of a blow to Jimmy's ego then.

Hunnicutt has a very strong leg... not sure about his consistency with field goals but I guess we're about to find out. O'Hara out for good?

14. GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride Brewmaster

I was watching at a bar and couldn't see that much detail, but that would explain a lot.

FYI, I was laughing at the KU fans at the bar who were expecting to watch their game and couldn't figure out why it wasn't on TV. :D

15. BoulderSooner79

It would interesting to know if Jimmy was benched. He kicked a couple more XPs after the missed one, so it wasn't an immediate benching for that one. It could have been just to give the 2nd line guy some reps. There was also rumor in other threads that he pulled his hammy on the missed one. I guess we'll find out, but regardless of the kicker, it doesn't appear this team is going to win games on long FGs.

16. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I must have had too many beers to notice him back on the field. Hunnicutt kicking a field goal stood out in the second half... must have been the beer then.

17. badger

I don't think Jimmy was benched. A lot of backups played in the second half. Drew Allen played. Does that mean Landry Jones was benched? ;)

18. BoulderSooner79

I just peeked at the box score on ESPN and it shows Stevens kicking 3 more XPs after the miss before Hunnicutt kicked a FG and 1 XP.

19. PSK2080

PSK2080 New Member

I read right after the game that Jimmy may have tweeked his hamstring, but I haven't seen confirmation of that...I'm sure we would've seen Hunnicutt and O'Hara regardless...I believe we only have 2 kickers on schollie (Way and Stevens)...I believe the rest are all walkons...all of the others were walkons, but it's possible that one of them could've been awarded a schollie since last year...

20. agoo758

agoo758 New Member

I thought that extra point went off the cross bar. I saw the replay again and realized that it went off the bar of the net. :eek: