1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elephant in the room? Haven't seen anyone mention the defense

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by BigTip, Sep 4, 2011.

1. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

Giving up 400 yards?
    Giving up big plays?
    Missed assignments, missed tackles?

Is anyone concerned as I am? Will Travis make up the difference?

Dang it! I was looking for perfection!!!

2. LVSOONER15

LVSOONER15 Getting it done

The defense seemed to play well. Harris messed up on two big plays. Hell we held this good Tulsa team to 14 points, I give the defense a lot of credit.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  3. 1890MilesToNorman

1890MilesToNorman New Member

I recall 2 blown assignments that account for 100 of those yards and one score. Coaches about blew a gasket from what I saw.

4. UTgradOUfan

UTgradOUfan New Member

Tulsa was a ten win team last year(exactly twice the wins the whorns had) and is no patsy.
    We did have some glaring busts but by and large it was an impressive effort by the the D and the team as a whole. For a first game is was impressively mistake and penalty free.
    I did not see another team yesterday who we could not have beaten.
    It's early in the season but I think we are deserving of our #1 ranking.
    Great effort by our players and coaches!

5. Soonermagik

Soonermagik New Member

Lol.. they only gave up 14 points to a solid team. They had a few busted plays, but it was game one, so that's not insane. The defense looked really good.. like 2 picks, sacks, hurried the QB etc..

To hold Tulsa to 14 points was very impressive!!!

6. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Tulsa was one of the best offensive teams in the nation last year and they have many of the key offensive personnel back this season including Kinne. They moved the ball on everyone last season, other than some blown assignments which resulted in the scores the defensive played an overall good first game.

7. kevpks

kevpks New Member

Did you watch the Utah State game last year? This defense is way ahead of where we were a year ago and they improved throughout the season. The defense is physical, athletic, the defensive line (supposedly a weak point) played really well, and Tony Jefferson is the best open field tackler since Roy Williams. The blown assignments are a correctable issue through two weeks of encouragement on the practice field.

8. agoo758

agoo758 New Member

It's really hard to imagine we gave up that many yards, but all that matters is that we kept out of the endzone for the most part. Hopefully Harris can fix whatever problem it was last night.

9. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Some people are clueless.

10. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

this

11. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Fire Venables!!!

Theskipster likes this.
  12. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

I repeat

13. PLaw

PLaw Well-Known Member

True that, but they were without their 2nd team AA wide receiver / kick returner and they were breaking in a new coaching staff.

At this point, we are not a championship defense. A coverage bust in a big game can be the difference between a W and a L, the difference between winning a BCS title and winning a BCS bowl game. We had two on the same wheel route and there was another that caused a big gain.

All in all, the D played good, but they still show the cabability of giving up big plays. Hopefully, they will continue to improve and grow into the type of defense needed to win a MNC.

BOOMER

14. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

No one gets perfection in the first game. You could at least wait till Lewis gets back to have ridiculous expectations.

15. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It was the first game of the year against a passing team..

16. BudSooner

BudSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And they had Kinne the C-USA offensive player of 2011 that made some good throws, and can take off at will.
    It's just first game rust, no huge concerns.

17. CBUS_SOONER

CBUS_SOONER New Member

I'm more concerned about kicking field goals. We may lose a game because our kickers smell

18. PSK2080

PSK2080 New Member

Tulsa's NCAA ranks for total offense and scoring offense the past 4 years:

2010 #5 total offense (505.62 ypg) & #6 scoring offense (41.38 ppg)
    2009 #35 (410.08) & #44 (29.25)
    2008 #1 (569.86) & #2 (47.21)
    2007 #1 (543.93) & #6 (41.14)

Tulsa's offense has been (and will be again this season) very good. Alot of Tulsa's yardage came after OU had a 30 point lead and came on a few plays. Last year TU was 10-3 and scored 28 or more points in 12 out of their 13 games. They scored more than 40 points 7 times. Our defense played pretty well, all things considered.

19. SoonerFan303

SoonerFan303 New Member

Jefferson stood out like crazy. Very excited about this kids ability. He has 1st or 2nd round written all over him for sure.

20. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

miscommunications will be fixed during these two weeks.