1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End of the BIG XII - THREAD FOR ALL REALIGNMENT DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Ruf/Nek7, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Keller Sooner

Keller Sooner New Member

Re: A&M, Mizzou, FSU & Clemson to the SEC

Pin all your hopes on Dan Bebee and Delost Odds. I KNOW I'M EXCITED!!!!!!

2. Sooner Eclipse

Sooner Eclipse Well-Known Member

Re: End of the BIG XII

BYU - fine. TCU, F that. The SWC died for a reason. That reason was texas inbreeding. 4 texas schools was too many in 1 conf to begin with. Ut has been trying to teabag everyone in the big12 since its inception. **** texass.

3. Veritas

Veritas Moderator

The SEC *is* a cesspool of academics and recruiting, period, full stop.

Chuck Bao likes this.
  4. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Brainstorming:

If I was an ESPN executive, and I'm not, but if I was I would be intrigued...

The West Coast is not, and never has been a hotbed of college athletics' television viewership. Just because the Universities out there participate in all the fringe sports like Water Polo and Skiing doesn't mean anyone cares.
    In fact, the West Coast has never really been a hotbed of Sports, period. Sure, you have your old-school 49er dynasty and Raider Excellence...yes, the Dodgers had their run and the Giants are defending WS champions. But after living on the West Coast for many, many years, sports are but a flashbulb on the culture.

Case in point: The NFL is trying desperately to get a team into the largest metropolitan area in the country. That is still an amazing sentence to me.

College football out west has meant almost exclusively SUC. Lately, Oregon and Stanford have had their moments, and UCLA/Cal/Arizona share the stage from time to time. SUC literally plays Notre Dame each year just so the national media pays attention.

Fast forward to a time when the early game on ESPN/ABC would be something like FSU/Tennessee, followed by the second game in the evening between OU/Stanford, or Whorn/USC. These games would bring in tons of west coast viewers, and keep a great deal of the die-hard NCAAF viewers in the east.

I've listened to enough KNBR (SF, The Sports Leader) to know that bringing in a tradition-rich program like OU to play teams the Bay Area would create an incredible amount of interest to what is typically a 49ers-dominated fall conversation.

Having these traditional Heartland power programs rotate games in the LA area would give ESPN a market-share boost they simply don't have when SUC plays Cal. Whorn has the viewers and OU has the tradition that brings eyeballs to the games they play in.

This also plays out the same when SUC/Oregon/Cal travels to Norman, etc.

Again, just brainstorming. I'll admit, not too many peeps will be watching when OU plays in Pullman.

The return of a CCG is interesting, but I have never liked rematches and wish there was a way to eliminate them. A PAC-16 would HAVE to have a rotation, it would be moronic not to have all the teams play each other over time, but CCG rematches seem diluted to me, especially for the team that won the first meeting.

Again, I'll admit I have a west coast outlook and when OU played in the Rose Bowl and also in Seattle, those were two of the most enjoyable away-games I have ever attended.

Sure, the geography really doesn't make that much sense, but if we want to keep playing for the MNC we need to keep winning in a conference that gives us a computer advantage in the BCS formula. A watered-down BigXII does not do this...just ask undefeated TCU or Potato State.

Veritas likes this.
  5. Scotty

Scotty New Member

I would like to hear the argument from a fanbase standpoint about moving west instead of a move to the SEC. SEC makes more sense to me from a competitive standpoint and also our fanbase seems like it would be a better fit with the bamas, arkansas, and georgias of the world instead of the oregon, washington, and ucla's. While the pac 12 would be a lucrative option, SEC is just a better fit in my opinion.

6. silverwheels

silverwheels SoonerFans.com Elite Member

At some point, hopefully soon, Texas is going to have to put their humongous ego aside and admit that they've blown up two conferences and need to tone it down. Get rid of the LHN or re-work it into a regional network with Texas Tech, and head west to the Pac-number with OU and OSU, and keep their traps shut for at least a while.

Veritas likes this.
  7. silverwheels

We'd have to cheat so much harder to be able to stay an elite team in the SEC. Our rebuilding years here have been tough for the fanbase to take, and it would get worse when we don't get to play Iowa State or Kansas State or Baylor anymore.

8. mightysooner

mightysooner New Member

I think if we moved Big XII south teams to the PAC 12, our tradition, rabid fanbase, and on field bullyness would have a positive, overall net effect on the interest in college football out west. It would transform their entire football culture. Do you really think the addition of BIG XII south teams to their league wouldn't get their neck hairs up across the board and give them an immediate boost in conference pride against the SEC dominance? Don't underestimate the impact we'd have on their entire conference.

9. Muno

Muno New Member

I agree but I'm just not sure they can comprehend the trouble they are causing. This is why I'd like to see OU take the lead and tell Texas it's time to go. The Big 12 can't exist without OU and I'd like to see us continue to partner with Texas but let them know that it's time to join hands and join another conference.

10. Lott's Bandana

Ok:

1. We can wear Thunder t-shirts in Seattle on Friday night.

2. We can asswhomp Lane Kiffen.

3. We can asswhomp Oregon.

4. Mike Stoops again on the sideline of Owen Field.

5. Red State fanbase invading Berkeley.

6. I like Boulder. Hate their fans, but like the place...admittedly, I miss it.

7. Palo Alto is teh allsome.

8. Utah away games means Park City fun.

SEC?

Night games in Red Stick. No thanks.

11. northspeter

northspeter New Member

as much problems as the LHN has caused already... it still doesnt have a single national carrier...

i have no idea what's gonna happen with this conference... but the longer this stuff goes on... the tighter UT, OU and OSU seem to become... as they say... keep your friends close... and your enemies closer...

12. SoonerofAlabama

SoonerofAlabama Actual Poor Student

Sorry to post Tejas Fight lyrics here, but they are just so fitting.

tejas Fight, tejas Fight,
    And it's goodbye to A&M.
    tejas Fight, tejas Fight,
    And we'll put over one more win.

13. Lott's Bandana

heh.

14. silverwheels

TIGAH BAIT! TIGAH BAIT!

15. sooneredaco

sooneredaco New Member

While that should be done, they really do think their sh!t smells like roses.

16. SweetheartSooner

SweetheartSooner New Member

Houston???? Really??? We can't do better than Houston? Smh. We need off this sinking ship.

17. mgsooner

mgsooner New Member

Believe it or not this is about more than just who you want to play in football. Boren has spent mucho time, effort and resources trying to build OU into a "brand" from an academic standpoint. That is why the Pac whatever would be a much more appealing option to those that actually have the decision making power.

18. brainpimp

brainpimp New Member

Imagine the reverse of that and how much they would love coming into a rabid Owen field. Trust me it's no pick-nick coming into Norman.

19. silverwheels

No purple and gold corndog scrotum would be safe.

20. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

You are correct. Last night on the CBS Sports message boards, people from the Big 10 and other conferences said the decision to go to another conference rests with Oklahoma not Texas. They talked about how Texas is out front but the real power rests right here in Oklahoma for any decision.

Then last night the Oklahoman reported that OU has been working behind the scenes.