1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official MMA Thread***

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by stoops the eternal pimp, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Knippz

Knippz New Member

It's funny you say this, because Fedor's camp has been REAL classy in defeat.

Team Fedor Needs to Move on Instead of Making Excuses for Loss
    Posted Feb 16th 2011 11:42AM by Mike Chiappetta
    Filed under: Strikeforce
    Fedor Emelianenko lost on Saturday night, and while a doctor's stoppage is not the most conclusive way to win or lose a bout, there's no denying that Emelianenko got decisively beaten up in the second and final round. Antonio Silva took him down and smashed him up for nearly the full five minutes. Even if Fedor himself says he could have continued, fighters agree to compete under the care of the referees and doctors in regards to their long-term health and protection, and the ringside physician feared for Emelianenko's vision after seeing his right eye completely closed.

It's only a few days later, but coaches on his team have been quoted many times in the Russian sports media talking about the loss. It's their right to explain what went wrong, but what about when they start floating conspiracy theories?

The most ridiculous one floated? One by his trainer Vladimir Voronov, who claimed in an interview with Lifesports.ru that illegal methods of psychological warfare were used. His claim? Hypnosis.

According to a translation of Voronov's interview, he believes certain "technologies" were used on both fighters from a distance that negatively affected Emelianenko's performance. His reasoning for the wild theory? Fedor did exactly the opposite of what they practiced beforehand. Also, before the fight, he thinks Fedor looked "a little depressed."

Of course, Voronov has no real evidence for the claim, and his only reason for it is the fact that Fedor lost. He also doesn't address how or why the hypnotists allowed Fedor to win the first round on two of the three judges' scorecards, risking their whole insane plot.

Hypnosis as an excuse? Now I've heard everything.

Also getting in a say was Emelianenko's striking coach Alexander Michkov, who spoke to another Russian site, Championat.ru. Michkov was asked about the size differential between Emelianenko and Silva.

Guess what? He pretty much accused Silva of juicing.

"Think about it, how can the normal human being gain 10 kilograms in 24 hours?" he said. "There is something fishy here. The fact is, all our fighters, I am talking about Russian fighters, that are fighting under the banner of M-1, train on their natural abilities. Of course, they take vitamins, but that's it. Meanwhile, all the foreign fighters, I think about 99 percent of them are taking chemicals. Obviously it was not a problem for Silva to make weight without problems. He weighed 264 pounds on the day of weigh-ins, and the next day, he was already over 280. He gained 10 kilograms. It's very hard to fight with a fighter like this."

Michkov's statement isn't so factually true. First off, not all of his M-1 fighters train on their natural abilities. Kirill Sidelnikov was busted for steroids in 2009 and served a one-year suspension.

Of course, Silva infamously tested positive for the steroid boldenone after a fight in July 2008, so the accusation is an easy one to make against him, but the size thing, well that's just puzzling.

Silva has always cut weight to make the 265-pound limit, and fought well over that on fight night.

Here are his weigh-in results of his last five fights before he fought Fedor: 263, 265.5, 263, 267, 261. Silva has always flirted with the very top of the heavyweight scale, and he's put on more size in the last year or so. Silva said after the event that he weighed 285 on fight night.

That should have come as no surprise to Emelianenko's team. Even if he had only gained five pounds, to 270, he still would have had a 40-pound weight advantage. Would that have made a difference in either fighter's performance? If this was going to be an excuse after the fight, it should have been a complaint before it.

Re-hydrating 20 pounds is not uncommon in MMA, and Emelianenko has certainly faced others who've done the same thing in his recent past, including Brett Rogers and Tim Sylvia. Are they really that flummoxed by something as simple as weight-cutting?

Michkov went on to talk about steroids testing in the tournament, charging Alistair Overeem with using steroids and saying that Strikeforce declined Olympic style testing "because everyone will get busted but Fedor."

Emelianenko's team had a right to demand an even playing field, and given the lengthy period during his re-negotiations process, they certainly had every chance to get it. Now, with Emelianenko essentially eliminated from the field -- barring an advancing fighter's injury withdrawal and reconsideration from the tournament committee -- all of this sounds like a lot of bluster and misdirection.

Emelianenko himself handled the loss with dignity. He congratulated Silva and walked out of the arena shaking the hands of fans on his way to the locker room. His camp hasn't handled it quite as well. Losing is never easy, and it's probably even more difficult when you're so used to winning, but accusing everyone else of cheating is hardly behavior worthy of the team of one of the greatest champions this sport has ever known. It would be more helpful if they took a page from their fighter and simply moved on.

2. Knippz

Knippz New Member

The actual quote, LMAO -

"We believe that forbidden psychological technology was used… It seems to us that not everything was right, and that certain technologies were used. Not ones that could be seen by the naked eye but psychological technologies that worked on both fighters at a distance," he said to Russian website LifeSports.ru

"That is why during the fight Fedor was just not like himself. It seemed very strange behaviour from Fedor. He stepped into the ring and did everything exactly the opposite of what we practiced before the fight. We were all shocked! Fedor had never previously done such a thing.

"Now nearly a week passes, everything settles, and we understand why all this happened."

3. Sooner_Bob

Sooner_Bob SoonerFans.com Elite Member

They actually said that?

4. tbl

tbl SoonerFans.com Elite Member

His mgmt is about as bad as sports mgmt can get... and they have complete control of him. It's very odd...

5. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

I'm sure that's what it was.

6. Knippz

Knippz New Member

Fedor can't f*ck with no Jedi

7. KC//CRIMSON

KC//CRIMSON New Member

Funny how when Silva gets blasted for an entire fight you make every excuse in the book for him, and when someone else gets beat its all the reasons and harsh words above.

You're just a typical mouthbreather fan with a closet full of TapOut T-shirts and a poor sport attitude.

8. Knippz

Knippz New Member

Lol, FYI my closet is full of Polo and Brookes Bros, and would never touch a Tapout or Affliction shirt.

I have a poor sport attitude? You call people names because try point out facts. If my guy has a bad fight, you attack him and say he's not the best, and claim he got his *ss kicked. I don't even have to say anything about your guy - he embarasses himself. But I surely remembered how, even though Fedor has taken 10 times more damage in fights, and has been in serious trouble numerous times in fights, that he didn't take a beating for 4 and a half rounds. So he just got the living sh*t beat out of him, as well as the heart. So bad, in fact, that they called the fight.

You're the typical Fedor and Pride fan who hates anything Dana White says. Fedor is a cyborg who can't lose. Anyone who says different is a UFC nuthugger or an *sshole.

The thing is, Anderson won his fight, and other than a small amount of swelling on his cheek, looked just fine afterward. Fedor...not so much. Looked like hell and had the fight stopped to extend his losing streak to 2.

I also posted Anderson's excuse for his performance right after his fight. It happened to be a pretty legit excuse - rib injury. Fedor's excuse? Professor Xavier was in the audience and decided to take his energy and give it to Silva.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  9. Knippz

Knippz New Member

I've got to continue this rant.

Really with the poor sport thing?! How many times have you directly insulted me because you didn't like my opinion? Don't hate me because your hero got tooled twice in a row. I don't hate you because you don't like Anderson Silva, but you most definitely can expect that if you blast him, I'll blast Fedor right back. Unfortunately for you, mine's setting records with every fight, while yours is blaming Darth Vader for his beatdown.

10. KC//CRIMSON

KC//CRIMSON New Member

Exhibit "A" ladies and gentlemen.

11. Knippz

Knippz New Member

Do you realize you're a hypocrite?

12. KC//CRIMSON

KC//CRIMSON New Member

Do you realize there is a difference between saying "yeah, my guy lost, it happens, to saying "no he didn't! he's the best fighter ever! he's still the best even after he got mauled for five rounds!"

Again, humility is lost on you, TapOut.

13. Knippz

Knippz New Member

I haven't really had that chance, since my guy hasn't lost. And if you actually read my posts, you'd see that I credited Sonnen for a great fight.

But I'm sure you'd be pissed too if people constantly bashed Fedor for winning a fight with hurt ribs against a guy on steroids who talks TONS of smack.

Oh but by the way, my guy is still the best - has been since I first posted in this thread.

14. KC//CRIMSON

KC//CRIMSON New Member

Good grief, you're the most "less" humble fan on here. And yes, your guy has lost, 4 times. You've even tried to make excuses for those too. A loss is a loss. Some people just know how to deal with it better than others.

15. northspeter

northspeter New Member

i know its a little late in this discussion but forrest is bigger than fedor and he makes the cut to 205 for every fight... like i said before if fedor wants to get back on the winning track against top competition he needs to change something... come to the us or go to brazil and get a new perspective on the game... a cut to 205 would probably be most beneficial for him... he hits harder than anyone at that weight, plus strikeforce is not all that deep at 205 anyway so he could be at the top of the division rather quickly...

16. Knippz

Knippz New Member

I think "least humble" was what you were looking for. If a loss is a loss, then a win is a win, right? Because you sure make a lot of excuses for Anderson's WIN.

Aside from the argument, I would like to know what you think about Fedor's camp's excuse. (Really, I'm not trolling you)

17. northspeter

northspeter New Member

i've read it on 3 or 4 different mma sites today... it seems to be a legit story...

18. Knippz

Knippz New Member

You know, Fedor and Anderson both are mysterious people. For example, I really think Fedor is a part of every decision, and his management takes the heat. I also think that Anderson trolled us all in the Maia fight.

They're the two fighters in MMA that I just can't read, or aren't completely truthful. Gotta give GSP credit here, he has yet to really annoy me with his decision making. I mean, I hate that he constantly decisions people, but I understand why.

Random thoughts

19. northspeter

northspeter New Member

the thing with gsp's decisions is its not like he's struggling and sleepwalking thru the fights... he completely dominates those guys and doesnt even lose rounds and often goes for finishes he just doesnt complete them...

20. Sooner_Bob

Sooner_Bob SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I know I may get bashed for this . . . but if Randy can get by Machida I'd love to see how his style would fair against Anderson. If he can keep from getting Matrix kicked I think he can control Anderson as well or better than Sonnen.