1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A roadmap to the BCS title game

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by sendbaht, Oct 28, 2010.

1. sendbaht

sendbaht Well-Known Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/BCS-top-12-breakdown-102710

9. Oklahoma (6-1)

While Missouri might be the flavor of the week, losing in Columbia doesn’t carry the same sort of cachet that losing in Madison or at Auburn does. However, the BCS computers that put the Sooners No. 1 in the initial rankings weren’t too harsh with a No. 5 ranking, compared to the No. 11 spot in both human polls. The problem is that the eyes see that this is an inconsistent team that doesn’t seem able to harness all the available talent. However, if it all comes together and the OU that obliterated Florida State shows up over the back half of the season, the entire landscape of the season changes on a national scale.

What Needs To Happen: Win out against Colorado, at Texas A&M, Texas Tech, at Baylor, at Oklahoma State, and in the Big 12 Championship. Missouri needs to win out. Nebraska winning out and getting to the Big 12 title game would be nice, but facing a 12-0 Missouri with a chance at redemption on a neutral field would bring even more attention and more respect. A win over the unbeaten Tigers would all but negate the loss in Columbia. The SEC champion has to have more than one loss. A 13-1 Oklahoma gets into the BCS Championship over a one-loss Big Ten champion and Pac 10 champion, and it probably pushes past an unbeaten Mountain West champion, but it doesn’t get by a one-loss Alabama, Auburn, or LSU.

Lets win out and see.:))

2. King Barry's Back

King Barry's Back New Member

To me, there's still too many 0-loss and 1-loss teams out there for us to start really thinking about getting back into it.

Yes, it's out there, and yes, if we keep winning, good things will happen.

But right now I am thinking that beating all those Big XII brethren on the road will be tough enough w/o adding any more baggage.

3. Dwight

Dwight New Member

I think a 1-loss OU team jumps BSU and TCU

4. TUSooner

TUSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think we need to thoroughly examine all the mathematical probabilities of...
    <16-ton weight drops on head>
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  5. Eddie Money

Eddie Money Active Member

I think we need to beat Colorado. I am not saying we won't throttle them, I think we will, but that should be the focus.

6. tcrb

tcrb New Member

Just win. If it's meant to be, things will fall into place like they have in the past. If not, 13-1 with a CC and a bowl game win would be a pretty successful season imo.

7. TUSooner

TUSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Exactly. One game at a time.

8. Mississippi Sooner

Mississippi Sooner New Member

I'm mostly hoping I can ration out my drinking on Saturday evening so that I'm still conscious and coherent by the time the games comes on.

9. batonrougesooner

batonrougesooner New Member

I-40 west. Head south when you hit Flagstaff.

10. IronHorseSooner

IronHorseSooner New Member

Here's the way that I look at it:

SEC:
    Auburn: @Ole Miss, UGA, @ 'Bama, SEC Title Game (?): Don't sleep on the Ole Miss game. They have offensive talent; defense needs work. it may be a shoot out. The road team has won the last several games in the UGA series, and they are playing better. Mark it down, THEY WILL LOSE TO 'BAMA!!! SCAR had them dead-to-rights, and then let them win a close one. Prediction: Loss to 'Bama and SCAR

'Bama: @LSU, MSU, Auburn: The LSU game might be the lowest scoring game of the year. I see LSU winning that one close, as The Hatter pulls another one out of his arse. Don't sleep on MSU! They are ranked, have won @ FLA (which isn't much this year), and are far more talented. Like I said, they beat Auburn. My Prediction: Lose to LSU, win the last two.

LSU: 'Bama, Ole Miss, @ Arky: As I wrote before, they beat 'Bama. Ole Miss is another rivalry game, and they beat them last year. Lock it: They will lose to Arky. Prediction: Beat 'Bama and Ole Miss, lose to Arky.

PAC-10

Gordon Riese U: @ SUC, U-Dub, @Cal, 'Zona, @OR State: They lose to SUC, as SUC's motivation is that if they can't win it all, nobody will. This is their bowl game. U Dub is a schizo team, and this is a rivalry game. Cal is another big rivalry game, and they do have the offensive talent to compete. Foles should be back by the 'Zona game. OR State would like nothing better but to ruin the Cheaters' season. My Prediction: Losses @ SUC and OR State.

None of the other teams concern me.

Big 10/11:

Sparty: @Iowa, Minn, Purdue, @PSU: Bob's alma mater has helped us in the past, and they will again. Purdue and Minn aren't very good. PSU has ended a lot of Sparty dreams in the past. My predictions: Losses to Iowa and PSU.

None of the others scare me, as our resume would trump Wisky or tOSU.

Non AQ:

Smurf Turfers: Hawaii, @ Idaho, Fresno, @ Nevada, USU: If the game against Hawaii was on the island, I would give them a better chance. Idaho is a rivalry game, and they have been better the past couple of years. Fresno is ALWAYS a big test. Nevada will have this game circled and starred on their calendar; win and BSU doesn't even win their conference.
    My prediction: Loss @ Nevada.

Utah: @ USAFA, TCU, @ND, @SDSU, BYU: They have, by far, the hardest road of any of the Non AQ teams. If USAFA can play close to us @ home, they can beat the Utes in the Springs. I think they beat TCU, as they will look for redemption. We may laugh at ND, but they can beat them. SDSU is a good team, and beat USAFA, and played Mizzou closer than we did. BYU is a joke this year. My prediction: Loss to USAFA, beat TCU, loss to SDSU.

TCU: @ UNLV, @ Utah, SDSU, @ NM: UNLV and UNM are BAD!!! They lose to Utah, and eek one out against SDSU. My prediction: Loss @ Utah.

Big 12:

It is better for us if Mizzou wins out, or they lose to Nebbish, and Nebbish loses a surprise game on the back stretch (i.e. ISU). If Nebbish wins the North with Mizzou as a one-loss team, the final poll will look 2008-ish. Would pollsters take a 1-loss, non Division-winning Mizzou team over an OU team that won the conference? Bottom line, root for the Tigers this week, and our revenge will be served cold to them at Jerry World.

In the end, this is all very possible and plausible. We have some chance for some good wins down the back stretch with Baylor, OSU, and the Title Game.

11. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

IronHorse....

How is South Carolina going to beat Auburn? SEC Championship Game?

12. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

yeah I'd say he's got SCAR in the SEC Title Game.

Of course, he's betting on them not trending the way they have every year and being total fail down the stretch in their SEC schedule.

13. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I don't know how many permutations there are but most years, the teams that make it are not the ones that seem to have the easiest path to the title game, at least in the 8th week of the season.

14. Rickety_Syd

Rickety_Syd New Member

Don't know if I can root for Missouri to win the rest of their games just so we can beat them in the Big 12 title game. Afterall, every team that's ahead of us that loses means we move up.

If USC beats Oregon, Nebraska kicks Mizzou and Michigan St. gets beat at Iowa, then we're back in the top five with plenty of time to move up further.

I don't know, Saturday I'm kind of thinking Screw Mizzou (I'll be making buttons, by the way).

Besides, I'm really hoping for an OU/Nebraska Big 12 title game.

15. jumperstop

jumperstop New Member

I'll get back to about our chances to get the title game in about a month.

16. TXBOOMER

TXBOOMER New Member

This team will not play for a National Championship. They blew their shot last week. I am hopeful we can run the table win the Big 12 and get Pitt in the Fiesta. That is the best case scenario for the year. And that is a very tall order for our 80th ranked defense and subpar kicking game.

17. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Don't mess with him...he's a busy man. LEAVE IRONHORSE ALONE!

18. soonercastor

soonercastor New Member

I'm pretty sure if Mizzou wins they will still be one rank ahead of us (in the humans), the key here is the pack Wisc-tOSU; we should be ahead of that pack. and Nebraska could well move ahead of us and have Neb-Mizz-OU in that order somewhere in the rankings as a pack.