1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our fans suck....

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by PhiDeltBeers, Sep 19, 2010.

1. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I never understood how standing made a bit of difference in cheering. I also tend to be one who gets more wound up on the inside and is a little more "focused" on the game than someone screaming their head off. The ones screaming their heads off is fine with me in the proper situation (like on defense) but don't chastise others because they may not "support the team" in the same fashion as you.

Now leaving early for no apparent reason is a different thing entirely with me. I have left two games early that I can remember like USC in 1982, it was disgusting, we went back to the dorm (Walker 6 West) and drank. The other was the season opener against North Carolina were the field was almost flooded. I have been there till the bitter end win or lose for the rest of them.

Piware likes this.
  2. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

The reason folks sit down is the fault of the folks on the front row. Once they sit down....it starts a tsunami all the way to row 60. It's their fault! In the South EZ it's the Handicap Sections fault. Some of you need to go over there and straighten them out next game. :D ;)

3. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

In defense of our fans, I can't count how many times I've seen a few jumbotrons this season remind home crowds to STFU when their team is on offense. You will never, ever, see that at Owen Field.

For example, in the almighty SEC yesterday (Arky at Georgia), there was a big display on their Dawgvision (or whatever they call it) exclaiming "Quiet Please! Offense at work!" It's like... awwwww, all that SEC football and no football knowledge :p

4. sooner59

sooner59 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I can't believe that there is a debate as to whether or not people should stand (at certain times) or make noise at a college football game. That is baffling. Never equated college football to a tennis match before.

5. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It isn't standing every so often, it is the Aggie "you have to stand the whole game" attitude of some fans. I know that it was difficult for my dad to stand up/sit down a lot the past few seasons before he had knee replacement surgery this past summer on one knee and plans on other the other done after the season so it shouldn't be an issue for him after that. Him having to have help getting up and down from the seat to be able to see what's happening grew a bit tiresome for him and he didn't go to a few games last season opting to give the tickets to my sister and nephew or a friend. Considering how long he waited to get season tickets I know that was a killer for him to do. I can understand the fans down low needing to stand up to see and the tsunami effect going up, given how low the first rows are (and I have sat often on the first row of Section 1) it is just a fact of life but the attitude of having standing up to make noise is just bogus to me.

6. OUwinsagain

OUwinsagain New Member

Yeah, I have heard a lot of crazy loud crowds that were sitting down! Get off your *** and make some noise when the other team is on offense and the game is close. Fans can and do make a difference all across the country. Sit down while our team is on offense or when we are up by 3 touchdowns or more.

7. sooner59

That is completely understandable. No reason to stand up the whole game if you aren't in the student section. Just on big plays and what not, people will stand and others tell them to sit. That's bogus. But no need for folks in the entire stadium to stand the entire game. And as long people make noise, they don't have to stand, but if the person in front of them is standing on a big 3rd and 2, then I say, tough. If you go to the game, that is to be expected. But if the person in front of you stands the entire game when others around them are sitting, that ***hole needs to sit...at the very least when we are on offense when we are blowing someone out.

8. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

The Monster has an attitude. If the Monster is giving 17.5 points...they expect Stoops to give them and 18 point + win before halftime. Then they can go down to O'Connells and get a table and start lining out shots.

9. Leroy Lizard

Leroy Lizard SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Old people with bad knees should be able to enjoy the game too.

10. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

People pay to have the right to sit or stand, that doesnt bother me. My issue is and always has been when people try to tell me or other fans what to do, those people are the a-holes

Boomer Mooner and sooner59 like this.
  11. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I would love to have a crowd as loud as what we had during the Nebraska 2000 game in Norman. My ears were ringing an hour after the game was over. Thing is...not every game is gonna be like that. If it was...I'd probably have to hire a stunt guy to scream for me the next 20 years Bob is Coach. Ten years of very few folks becoming new Season Ticket holders is bound to have an effect on how loud folks are. The Student section is the one that has to keep up the traditions IMO. The rest of us must continue to tell them to step it up.

The guy they gave kudos to Saturday that had been going to games since 1947....

WOW!

Great guy...Great Sooner!

12. sooner59

I know, that was amazing.

13. cdlbdd

cdlbdd New Member

They can, from their couches or recliners at home, or from the handicap seats.

Boomer Mooner likes this.
  14. Piware

Piware Well-Known Member

Well, guess what. The people who stand in front of me hack me off. Since some of us have been season ticket holders longer than some of the newbies have been alive, did you ever stop to consider the person sitting behind you hobbled 8 blocks on a newly replaced knee, are uncomfortable in the early season heat and STILL make as much noise as the kids?

We stand on defense but have enough sense to sit down and shut up when we are on offense. Most of us know when we are in the audible zone - see lots of students that don't. Over the years we have donated thousands of dollars to the program and have put a couple of generations through OU?

We "sometimes sitters" want everybody to have fun. I for one don't appreciate the alcoholically overindulged who puke when they get hot or have to be removed. Gratefully that is the exception rather than the rule.

Before you bash other fans it would be helpful to remember that this is NOT just about you. Thanks - I feel better now.

Collier11 and oulucas like this.
  15. Collier11

And it is not about you, you have the right to sit down just as much as I have the right to stand up. If you dont like people to stand up in front of you, STFU! I wont bitch at you for sitting down and I expect the same treatment.

And I could care less how long you have been a donor or had your seats, I paid my dues. I have a degree and paid my $50k in tuition

Now, having said that, I have respect for my elders and the people around me so If I notice that someone behind my is having a hard time, I wont stand just for the sake of standing but when I choose to stand, I dont want to hear it. Fair enough?

16. sooner59

My opinion matters more than yours because OU will have more of my money because I am in my 2nd year of OU grad school after 6 years of OU undergrad. And I will strive to have more kids than you just so I can put more through the OU system. :D

Piware likes this.
  17. Collier11

Yep, we are paying far more for our education than those cats ever did, lol

18. Piware

Piware Well-Known Member

I think I may have hit a nerve. My point is we have all paid our dues and, some of us have been paying as long or longer than others. I try to be polite but in your case, you can STFU. Incidentally, there has been one time that I asked the big doofus standing in front of me to sit down - he fell backwards onto me because he was so drunk then promptly staggered to a standing position again.

I don't care if you sit, stand or cartwheel around the stadium. You sound pretty disrespectful about other people's rights. I will respect yours but you respect mine and others. That's what I think is fair enough!

19. Crucifax Autumn

Crucifax Autumn SoonerFans.com Elite Member

20. sooner59

FAIR ENOUGH!!!

[​IMG]