1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here we go...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Scotty, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Mississippi Sooner

Mississippi Sooner New Member

They will hereafter simply be known as The Odd Conference.

2. Scotty

Scotty New Member

$$$$$$$$$$

UT wants the Big XII to stay together so they could pursue their own TV network. Money talks, and the type of revenue that a pac-16 network would bring in would be hard to ignore for any BigXII school, especially OU. This is just my opion, but the prospect of UT getting their own deal and being able to keep all the revenue while the rest of the BigXII hovers around ~$10 million a year is enough motivation for the Big 6 (us, OSU, TT, aTm) to bolt for the Pac-16 and the $20 million a year that comes with it.

My opinion is that the only ones that want the Big XII to stay together are the ones that are afraid of being left out (KU, KSU, BU, ISU) and the ones that could increase revenue without changing conferences (UT). Everyone else is just along for the ride.

3. HBick

HBick New Member

fixed. because in all likelihood, the reason Texas does not want the Big XII to break up right now is because they aren't ready to launch Texas Television.

24 million possible cable subscribers speaks more than a Pac-10 invitation.

4. HBick

HBick New Member

Oh and what happens if Texas launches their own Television Network? Sure it's cable, but you are pretty much guaranteed it will be carried in the region. A lot of Longhorns living in Oklahoma these days with more moving every year (see Devon, Chessy, Sand Ridge). It would be interesting to see what Texas would do, they would need some sort of conference affiliation for sports other than football, but it is interesting, and I'd be curious to see what some of the UT fans who browse this board would think about this.

Also, if that happens, I would assume that the SEC would be a likely landing spot for OU and OSU, unless both Oklahoma Schools decided to make one network (please, god, no).

Just throwing out some points to add to the discussion.

5. MeMyself&Me

MeMyself&Me New Member

:confused:

And I thought it was either we had the Big 12 and Texas got their own network or it was six of us (OU and UT included) went to the Pac 10 and Texas didn't get their own network.

6. GimmeRed

GimmeRed New Member

Was it Texas' discussions with the Big 10 in April or their bringing in the Pac 10 2 weeks ago that lead you to believe this crap?

They have been working harder then any school to get out of the Big XII and are still trying to take the highroad.

7. Herr Scholz

Herr Scholz SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Dodds is just making sure UT is covered if Nebraska and Mizzou and CU leave. They're the ones driving the breakup of the conference, not UT. Some people want to blame Texas for everything regardless of the facts.

If everyone said they were going to stay at this point, Texas would be perfectly happy. You can believe that.

8. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And if Texas could triple its TV revenue by going independent they'd be perfectly happy too. This isn't a knock on Texas, it's simply business. If they had the chance to do it, they should do it. Now I'm sure the dildos that comprise the Texas state legislature won't let their beloved Aggies try and stand on their own two feet, but if any school on the planet should consider being an independent entity in foozball right now, it's Texas.

9. HBick

HBick New Member

This is true. But I think the Pac-10 hypothetical (which it is at this point because the Pac-10 Commish said they have not extended invitations yet on CFL today) could force Nebraska's hand. But also there were reports today that Notre Dame's Board is split. Those in favor of the move to the Big 10 would prefer the Big 10 to add only one team (ND). This puts dampers on Mizzou and more importantly Nebraska.

That said, the only thing worse than all the conference expansion talk, was the summer of 2009's NBA Free Agent discussion regarding players after the 2010 season.

Conference is poised to overtake that level of hatred I have for NBA free agent discussions over a year in advance.

10. prrriiide

prrriiide New Member

That's because * wants the revenue from their own network. Basically with that income disparity, they will swing an even larger johnson at the rest of the BigXII. That's why I'm hoping for a Pac 10 deal; so that there will be conference schools other than OU that have the sack to tell * where to stick it and how deep to put it.

They'll be spooging in their jock straps because there won't be anything like a silly old conference agreement standing in the way of *TV becoming the only (cash) cow more revered than bevo on the 40 acres.

11. Herr Scholz

Herr Scholz SoonerFans.com Elite Member

When has OU done that in Big XII discussions? You guys have voted the same with us on every major issue. What are you talking about?

12. HBick

HBick New Member

I think OU has explored the possibility of a television network. Unfortunately I think it would be a bad idea. I see an OU/OSU merger under the Fox Sports Oklahoma to carry the other non money maker sports which would then get bumped for Thunder, Mavs, Rangers, and Astros games. Not exactly a winning situation for athletes, but if they get money from it, it'd be worthwhile right?

13. Dio

Dio SoonerFans.com Elite Member

At first I thought we should take KU instead of little brother, but you know what?

SCREW KANSAS

mebbe they can maintain KC home court advantage in the MWC tourney

14. rainiersooner

rainiersooner New Member

Part of this reminds me of the lead up to the First World War!

15. AlbqSooner

AlbqSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

"OU voted against the tv network idea as well as KU and Nebraska."

"You guys have voted the same with us on every major issue. What are you talking about?"

Consistency in posting is a whorn tradition.:D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  16. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

All 15 of them.......they don't have Bullock (Lt. Gov.) or Richards (Gov.) this time. The gov. is an Aggie and the Lt. Gov. is an Arizona Wildcat.

I would bet that the SEC is quietly making phone calls as well, I doubt they would want to be left out if the Big 10/11 expands and with the Pac 10 officially calling on the Big 12. If the latest Big 10/11 rumor is correct then I could see them becoming active but not necessarily as public as the others.

17. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Nice

18. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i wish this conference stuff would die. by the way i gave all these threads 1 star. i hate this so much for some reason, obama lebron type hate.

19. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yea im sick of it to, its like the usc crap. Until something happens its all speculation