1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here we go...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Scotty, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Scotty

Scotty New Member

http://twitter.com/chipbrownob

Chip Brown has become a household name in every house west of Mississippi in less than a week.

This is not just a rumor anymore, its happening.

2. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

Chip Brown also does radion here in Austin for 104.9 the Horn, the local ESPN affilitate, and in the past has covered the Dallas Cowboys and Longhorns for the Dallas Morning News. He is well connected in these parts.

That said, what's happening is Chip has a well connected source over in Belmont Hall on campus that is purposely feeding him this info. Texas wants all of this known ... probably to pressure Nebraska and Missouri. No coincidence all of this new Pac-10 stuff and the "deadline" on MU and NU is overlapping.

3. RedstickSooner

RedstickSooner New Member

So, when talk of the Big-10 expanding by sniping Nebbish and Misery began, I was a sad panda.

Then there was a report where someone from Nebbish came out and said it was the stupidest thing they'd ever heard, and nobody had talked to them at all, and that if there had ever been such a discussion may God turn them into a gay fish, and I was a happy panda.

Now I'm a sad panda again, and I think that Nebbish guy is a lying sack of shi-ites.

I'm still enormously disappointed that the Big-10 would take Misery over us. Playing in that conference would be a dream come true. It'd be like playing Tulsa each week of the year, only, the media actually gives you credit and acts like Tulsa's a real team.

Sigh.

4. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

I doubt thats his twitter, or that Dan Beebe has one either.

5. Leroy Lizard

Leroy Lizard SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Nice work. Love the style.

6. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This ^

Also, even if invites go out the Big 12 isnt breaking up just for the sake of breaking up. It will have to involve other circumstances

7. Herr Scholz

Herr Scholz SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yep. This is true. Texas is doing everything they can to keep the Big XII together by putting pressure on Nebraska, Mizzou and CU to commit to the conference now. The Baylor story is one that might spur CU to recommit to our conference before they (or Nebraska) know if they actually have an invite to another conference. Deloss Dodds has made it clear we want the Big XII to go forward. And he's adamant that Texas won't be the one to break it up.

8. 47straight

47straight New Member

It would suck if Chip Brown got it right and everyone forgets all the times he sold orangebloods subscribers a bill of goods.

9. Herr Scholz

Such as? He's a legit reporter. Don't know where that's coming from.

10. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Chip Brown is not a legit reporter

jk the sooner fan likes this.
  11. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I don't necessarily believe that Deloss Dodds is acting in anyone but his own best interest here. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could totally see Texas going independent and saying **** the world. Truth is, I wouldn't necessarily blame them. IMHO if they can go get paid, they should go get paid. OU would still play them every year so I wouldn't really care if they did it. OU would either go to the PAC or the SEC.

12. Herr Scholz

Umm, yeah he is. He was a beat reporter for the DMN (a top notch paper) for years and the orangebloods coverage is now the best source of UT info any place.

So he was on national tv on every sports channel all last week because he's a blogger trying to sell subscriptions? Sorry but no.

13. MeMyself&Me

MeMyself&Me New Member

Soooo, Texas did what it could to create an environment where conditions aren't favorable to its co-conference members. Now, Texas wants to force them to take it. That sounds about like Texas to me. And you wonder why so many other people hate the Longhorns so much...

14. Herr Scholz

The Big XII has been a good conference to UT. Of course he wants it to remain viable. He also wants to retire like now and doesn't want to be known as the guy who let the conference dissolve.

Going independent isn't feasible. Would never happen. Texas is a regional school unlike ND who has fans in every state.

15. Herr Scholz

I get so tired of ignorant statements like this. What are you referring to exactly? Because most of the things that Nebraska complains about going back to the formation of the conference (including revenue sharing and having a conference title game and increasing academic standards) were 11:1 votes against Nebraska. But somehow it's all UT's fault. Guess what, guy, your school voted with UT every time.

Let's hear some specifics and not just anti-UT blather.

16. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If Texas can get paid, they should get paid. Period. If they devise a way to make more money going independent in football only then I don't see why they wouldn't do it? Loyalty? Pppffftttt......don't kid yourself. They can remain loyal in the other 17 or so sports they compete in, but if they can start exponentially increasing the amount of cash they get by signing a lucrative TV contract then I have zero problem with it and I don't think it's as far fetched as you do.

17. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

Texas wants the Big-12 to remain intact ... it is in their self interest. They are the top program in the nation in revenue ... are a power in football and baseball and very competitive in basketball. They are the top dog in the Big-12 ... why trade certainty and power for uncertainty?

Now, has Texas hurt the conference overall ... possibly ... and that is in terms of a Big-12 network. That was pushed under Weiberg (sp?) but blocked (per rumor) by Texas as they wanted their own TV network and didn't want the competition as well as by Kansas and Nebraska who both had TV ideas of their own.

MeMyself&Me likes this.
  18. Scotty

Scotty New Member

I don't know why you would assume this isn't Chip Brown's twitter. It's saying the same stuff that is being said at orangebloods.

Dan Beebe's is obviously fake, however. It says "Fake Dan Beebe" under the name.

19. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

Listening to Chip at 1pm there were a few tidbits. The focus right now may shift back to South Bend and the Big-10 as they are in talks again. There is a rumor that the Big-10 may have some kind of deadling on the Irish like the Big-12 has on CU, NU, and MU ... probably because of that deadline. But, if the Irish were to cave and join the Big-10 the new 12 team league will probably stand pat and not offer anyone else. And, Nebraska may be alot higher in the pecking order for the Big-10 than Missouri now, So, if the Irish fall through Mizzou could still be sweating bullets.

Also, Texas and Texas A&M will, according to te radio show, stay together. Bill Byrne's SEC talk of the past few weeks was more to placate Gene Stallings (former Alabama and A&M head coach) who is very hard core for the SEC move. Byrne isn;t as opposed to going west as some of his recent comments make it. Rick Perry (Tx Governor and A&M alum) wants the two to remain together. And, there is some talk that the Big-12 south is fairly united on all of this and may be working as a block.

20. Herr Scholz

OU voted against the tv network idea as well as KU and Nebraska.