1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gophers targeting Heupel for OC job

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by sooner13f, Jan 10, 2009.

1. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Re: Josh to Minn - OC Job

No biggie...you just gave him a huge compliment IMO. :D

BigRedJed likes this.
  2. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Re: Josh to Minn - OC Job

I think all those are valid points...but I'd like to see Josh as OC and then HC at Oklahoma and then bring a few NC's into the Switzer Center...I think Josh should consider Minn his retirement job when he's 50 or 60. :D

3. Oldnslo

Oldnslo Radioman

If he were my kid, I'd tell him to go learn everything he could learn, succeed, and then come back.

He'll be a Sooner all his life, no matter where he's getting a paycheck.

4. BigRedJed

BigRedJed Mmm... ...ribs.

The REAL question is not whether he is qualified to be OC for the Gophers, it is would he be ready to jump to an OC position at Oklahoma? Maybe not right now. As much as OU fans love him, a lot of people would probably question elevating him should KW leave in the next couple of years.

Which is perhaps a good reason for him to go help build another program; so that he is ready to come back here with some coordinator-level success under his belt. Just like coaching for Mike at Arizona legitimized his return to OU a couple of years ago. Also, a young coach can always benefit from being exposed to the style of multiple head coaches. Witness Stoops tutelage under Hayden Frye, Bill Snyder and Steve Spurrier. He took important facets of his style from each.

I'm not suggesting that he should go, and selfishly don't want him to. I'm just guessing at what might be running through his mind. I will say this: if he takes it, I would still suspect we have not seen the last of Josh Heupel on the Oklahoma sidelines.

5. Rhino

Rhino Awesoministrator

He turned it down.

6. BigRedJed

BigRedJed Mmm... ...ribs.

Sweet! Good news for OU.

7. boomermagic

boomermagic New Member

I can't believe it.. WOW, That is great news...

8. sooner13f

sooner13f New Member

YES! Best news I have heard all day!

9. OklahomaTuba

OklahomaTuba SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Wow.

I am thinking this may bode well for Sam staying.

10. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm glad he's staying, but I think Jed was spot on with the benefits of experience.

11. oubose

oubose New Member

I'm very happy that he's staying in Norman, I watched him play in South Dakota as a kid and what a player he was WOW!

I bet he called up here and found out it was -10 right now with blizzard conditions and said to hell with that.

12. adoniijahsooner

adoniijahsooner New Member

If Heupel would have left, even if Sam stayed I be a little nervous. I think if Sam stays Heupel will have that guy calling audibles from the line.

13. OU-HSV

OU-HSV SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Cool, I'll take your word for it. I looked back on soonerscoop.com and didn't see anything new yet. But that's awesome if he's staying