1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Left laners beware

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Sooner_Bob, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Sooner_Bob

Sooner_Bob SoonerFans.com Elite Member

2. Sooner24

Sooner24 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I had my scanner on here at the office. No drug bust that I heard just lots of tickets.

3. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

Questions:

1. They state that the left lane is for passing and "people turning left." This implies this law applies to non-limited access roads as well. I disagree totally with that. In non-limited access roads with lots of intersections the left lane is NOT strictly a passing lane. In these cases there are many reasons a person may need to be in that lane.

2. What about left exits? I shouldn't have to speed up to 80 if I'm taking a left exit ramp. How long do I have? Is it okay to drive 1/2 mile in the left lane before the left exit? The last thing you want is slower drivers waiting until the last minute to get to the left for a left exit.

3. What about left entrances? Years ago I had a left entrance onto the capital beltway. I immediately sped up to 70 and put on my turn signal indicating I wanted to get to the right. Unfortunatly traffic was heavy and there was no room to get over. A jerk came up behind me and started flashing me. (This was within 1/2 mile of the left entrance.) I'm not going to drive 85 just to make the guy happy. As it was, I slowed down to 55 just to tick the guy off....

If they want to do this then they need to stop building left entrances and exits on the limited access roads.....

4. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

Ever notice how a large percentage of people when merging just following the white line over and think it's your job to get out of their way? Yes, it is common courtesy to give them room to merge or get over so that they can do so. But that is only a courtesy. When you're merging you are the one who is yielding.

Things brings up one other situation. Let's say I'm driving 60 in a 55mph zone. I'm in the rightmost of two lanes. Traffic is heavy but not backed up. A car is about to merge so I get over in the left lane to allow them to enter the highway. I speed up to 65 so as not to inconvenience those in the left lane and signal my intention to get over to the right. However, I cannot do so immediately due to heavy traffic. I'm not willing to go 70 because I don't want to risk getting a ticket for going 15 mph over the speed limit. Will I get a ticket for being in the left lane? If so, to hell with letting mergers in. I'll stay where I'm at.

5. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

Agree 100%. The left lane is for passing but there is no God given right to go 95 in the left lane and to not have to temporarily slow down from time to time. Sometimes mere mortals going 75 need to pass as well.

6. sas

sas New Member

It really is the job of all you slow pokes to teach us speeders a lesson.;)

SleestakSooner likes this.
  7. SleestakSooner

SleestakSooner New Member

fixed :D

8. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm wondering how many of those complaining about left hand drivers are interstate commuters near OKC and how many are interstate drivers outside urban areas.

Over the Christmas break, my whole family went to an OU womens basketball game and I followed my bro in the second car. We went 80-90 mph the whole way from Ardmore to Norman. The courtesy and passing issue didn't really apply until near Norman and the traffic got worse.

The weird thing for me is that 80-90 seemed fast and in Thailand we typically go 150-160kph, which seems normal. I often go 120kph on my bike in the intercity.

Thailand already does this. I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for speeding. I've had to pay fines several times for driving in the right lane (your left lane). Basically, it's so the rich and the connected can drive faster and we don't impede their travel.

I want to say this whole idea is wrong. The no speed limit and keeping the passing lane clear will lead to more traffic problems and accidents, not less.

Flashing the lights already work.

9. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I know I can be ****ed as hell at the dumbass driver in front of me and then notice an OU insignia....they are immediatly forgiven:D

10. OUNC06

OUNC06 New Member

I design roads and they are designed to handle traffic at a higher speed than the posted limit. It is not dangerous to speed up and break the speed limit to pass someone. You have to look at the spirit of a law and not the letter. Laws can not apply to every situation, and you have to use common sense. People staying in the left lane passing someone going 75 when the person in the right lane is going 74 is ignorant and dangerous. Speed up to 80 get around the person and get back in the right lane. Even if the law says the speed limit is 75; passing at 80 is safer and more courteous.

Turd_Ferguson likes this.
  11. sas

sas New Member

I design boogers and they are intended to flick at slower vehicles when you pass them.

12. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

If you will guarantee that the cop will look at it the same way then I'll do it. I don't trust any cop to "look at the spirit of the law" or even believe me when I explain why I was doing 80. In Virginia I would be more likely to do what you say but back when I lived in Oklahoma I was stopped several times going less than 10 mph over the speed limit.

As for the ways roads are built, I understand that the Interstates are built with real specific safety margins but you can't assume that in normal highways. I've been on plenty of mountain roads where the speed limit on a turn is 35 and you darn well better slow down to 40 or under unless you want to end up falling down a cliff.

That's brings up another pet peeve of mine. People who feel that as long as they feel they're going a safe speed for the road they can completely ignore speed limits. Have they ever considered that the speed limit might be due to a blind intersection around the corner? I don't care if you can safely navigate the turn at twice the speed limit. Just don't get ticked when the guy pulls out in front of you because he couldn't see you going 70 through a 35 area.....

But that is a little off-topic....

13. sas

sas New Member

About 15 years ago I had a trip through Arky and amused myself by doing twice the suggested speed on all the curvy signs.

Suck on that.

14. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

Depends on where you are. In most they provide a large safety margin. I've seen a few, though, where there was very little margin.

So when you were going twice the speed limit around the curves, were you sure there wasn't an intersection or private drive right around the bend?

15. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

I'll say this and this only... OUr company has 200 units out on the road and we averaged 25-30 reported accidents a year prior to 2005. We put governors on OUr trucks, and OUr drivers, who "have **** to do" and "get paid by the trip, not by the hour" cannot go over 75 in any of OUr trucks. These numbers are just the Tulsa fleet, the outside fleets will soon have transmission speed governors.

2005, we went from 28 accidents in '04 to four... that's right FOUR accidents in 2005.

2006, we had eight accidents.

2007's report is coming soon, but I believe it was three or four if I recall all the incidents correctly.

Same drivers, not as much speed as they once had, less trouble. And I love every damn minute of their whining about it.

Reported accidents are citations and such, not little "he scratched my car" "accidents."

16. mdklatt

mdklatt SoonerFans.com Elite Member

What about the people using them? I don't trust most people's driving ability at 35 MPH, let alone 75 MPH.

17. Sooner_Bob

Sooner_Bob SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You had a bad experience during Driver's Ed didn't you. :D

18. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I used to floor the old driving similators through the neighborhood on that film. :D

That ticker tape sure was printing a lot then...

19. SwitzerFan

SwitzerFan Member

I agree. I don't know what each cop is thinking or how forgiving they will be. I do know what the limit is. I also do know that if I don't go above the limit I will be ok. So if the limit is 65 is 70 ok or is it 67 or is it 81. I mean there is a boundary of 65 so if it is not 65 then what is it. This same principle carries over into other aspects of life as well. There all always boundaries and rules and people try to push them. I choose not to gamble due to respect of the law.