1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Consolidated Television Display/Electronics information thread!

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Frozen Sooner, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Heh. All three of those standards carry a purely digital signal from the source to the display. If the display has a better Digital-to-analog converter than the source, then you'll get a better picture letting the TV handle the conversion. If the source has a better D/A converter than the TV, you'll get a better picture over component. Either way, it'll be very very minimal.

2. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

i'm totally lost

i'll start with a call to verizon this afternoon and go from there

3. Frozen Sooner

Sorry, I wasn't trying to lose you. It sounds like your cable box probaby doesn't have a high-definition signal.

Does your TV have ports anywhere that say either VGA, HDMI, DVI, or Y Cr Cb? Does your cable box?

4. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

i'll have to look when i get home........please dont delete this thread! :)

5. Frozen Sooner

I'll try my best not to post any cheesecake pics in the meantime.

However, be advised that I'm flying to Arizona tonight, so I may not be around to help the next few days.

6. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

What kind of shelving do you folks use for the various components you might have (cable box, dvd player, tuner, etc)?

7. Penguin

Penguin SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm looking at getting a new receiver.

I currently have a 5.1 dolby digital receiver. I see now that there are 7.1 receivers available.

Where the hell do the 6th and 7th speakers go?

8. Beef

Beef SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Is there something wrong with your floor? Your **** to good to touch the ground?

9. Okieflyer

Okieflyer Well-Known Member

Good golly! I leave for just a couple of hours and you fill up a page.

This is a good idea Mike Rich!

I'm down to deciding between the Sony XBR2 or saving some bucks and getting the A2000.

10. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Milk crates don't grow on trees you hillbilly!

11. slickdawg

slickdawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So is this where I post the fact that Slickdaughter put Dora stickers on my
    Plasma screen today?

12. Okieflyer

Okieflyer Well-Known Member

Did she put one over your avatar too? ;)

13. Frozen Sooner

Directly to the right and left of you.

14. Penguin

Penguin SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Ah. Thanks.

I guess it's just a matter of time before we have a speaker directly above and directly below you.

15. slickdawg

slickdawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yep.

She is SOOOOOOO cute running up to me and saying "AW MAN! SWIPER NO SWIPING!!"

16. Frozen Sooner

Ive got a brushed steel and glass thing I got at Best Buy that I'm not really happy with. I'll post a picture of my setup one of these days. Damn thing takes up way too much space.

I wanted to build shelving under the TV to hold everything, but the weight and size of the receiver make that problematic without more bracing than I'm willing to build.

17. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I am in the market for a 40 or 42 inch HDTV. The wife wants a slim dislpay, which means lcd flat-panel or plasma.

I'm trying to decide if I should go for a 1080p set (lcd) or if 720p (lcd or plasma).

I understand that right now, the only 1080p you can really watch is from a gaming system or Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. I'm mainly going to be watching broadcast TV.

Will I benefit from buying a full 1080p? Does anybody see 1080p broadcasts in the not so distant future?

any input would be appreciated.

18. mrowl

mrowl SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think all of them are HD, but it has to be enabled... is it the motorola?

and it should have the HDMI port on it, if it (the fios box) is HD. Buy an HDMI cable and you are good to go.

19. mrowl

mrowl SoonerFans.com Elite Member

not from the broadcast networks. They have invested tens of millions into the trucks, cameras, studios, equipment, etc...

20. Frozen Sooner

I don't know that you'll see a great deal of difference either way. A 1080p TV will likely line-double a 1080i broadcast and look pretty nice. The visible difference between 1080i and 1080p is supposedly not very noticeable, though.

No, I don't anticipate 1080p broadcast anytime soon, mainly because it doubles the bandwidth needed.