1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEEDED: TV Guru help with DLP TV question!

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by SoonerBBall, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Mike - thanks for the explaination.
    85 - appreciate all of the info.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  2. Newbomb Turk

you are an overpaid government worker :p - just spend your money you tightwad.

Okieflyer likes this.
  3. Okieflyer

Okieflyer Well-Known Member

85Sooner,

you recommend the Sony KDS-**A2000? What about viewing angle. Is it good?

I never buy the warranty. Why should I?

Newbomb Turk likes this.
  4. Taxman71

Taxman71 New Member

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/137540.html

I bought the Sony A10 (LCD rear projection) last year (due to lots of research and 85's advice). No regrets whatsoever. I saw the same TV at Sam's the other day and it stills blows the other pictures away IMO (for a grand cheaper than last year).

However, I did get a 4 year warranty to please the wife.

Okieflyer likes this.
  5. 85Sooner

85Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Veiwing angle is good. No warr. needed.

6. 85Sooner

Believe it or not with our sales price we are selling the 60A2000 for 2397.00
    and the 60XBR for 2997.00. Keep in mind that the XBR comes with an additionaly lamp so that is worth some of the cost difference.

The XBR is brighter and sharper than the 2000

7. Okieflyer

What's the difference between the BR1 and BR2?

Hey I would also like to thank you guys for answering people's questions on this board. I know it takes time and sometimes you never see any benefit for it.

8. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

Why do you say that? I have heard that there is not much difference in picture quality between HDMI cable and component cables, but could a HDMI cable hurt your tv?

9. Taxman71

Taxman71 New Member

BR1 vs. BR2

10. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

It depends on the quality of the D/A converter built into your TV. Most TVs have better D/A converters than the ones built into the source, so HDMI to the TV gives a sharper picture than component. In other cases, the source has a better D/A converter and can give you a better picture over component. Both component and HDMI can carry resolution up to 1080p, so there's no real huge picture difference in the cabling, though there are artificial restrictions placed on resolutions by DVDs and possibly soon on HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray.

HDMI can also support better sound than optical if you can plug it into your receiver.

HDMI has some problems with some TVs. HDMI allows communication between the TV and the source, so there can sometimes be issues where the TV gives a command to the source that the source doesn't understand. For example, I had a DVD player that decided to shut itself off when I'd switch between sources, which could be annoying if all I was doing was checking a score. Theoretically, HDMI could also be used by a cable company to collect information on your TV usage.

edit: D/A=Digital to Analog

Boomer..... likes this.
  11. Frozen Sooner

My benefit to answering questions is that more people get into high definition. The more people who get into high definition, the more high definition contect becomes available. I want one HD optical disk system to win so that I can start expanding my library!

12. OUstud

OUstud New Member

Two words: Sony Wega.

13. Newbomb Turk

you are welcome. ;)

14. Newbomb Turk

oh, sure. Mike throws HDTV acronyms around like they are going out of style. He finally uses one I know, and he defines it! :mad:

;)

Harry Beanbag likes this.
  15. 85Sooner

HDMI w HDCP is the industries way of creating a standard connection that will allow providers to monitor all your veiwing habits and prevent recording and duplication of video

16. Frozen Sooner

Well, duplication anyhow. The DVR people are never going to allow recording of TV shows to die out.

17. Okieflyer

Not you! Your the one guy on here that knows less than I do! :p

18. Newbomb Turk

Okieflyer and I went to Circuit City after work yesterday, and looked at the KDS60A2000. It was beside two DLP sets (one Mitsubishi, can't remember the other). The A2000 looked much better than the other two.
    Okie is so gonna get one of these.

We also checked out a 1080p Sony flat-panel LCD that was being fed by a Blu-Ray player. Absolutely unbelievable how crisp the picture was. Couldn't believe the difference between 720p and 1080p.

19. mrowl

mrowl SoonerFans.com Elite Member

your right. the assemblies cost around $800, I priced it. But the color wheel by itself is all you need to replace. $150.

85Sooner likes this.
  20. mrowl

mrowl SoonerFans.com Elite Member