1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extension for Mike Stoops

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by FlatheadSooner, Jun 22, 2006.

1. FlatheadSooner

FlatheadSooner New Member

By Olin Buchanan, Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer

Although he has won just six games in two seasons, the University of Arizona is asking its regents to approve a two-year contract extension for football coach Mike Stoops.

"The regents have been really good throughout the years of doing things that make sense, and this makes sense," Arizona Athletic Director Jim Livengood told the Tucson Citizen.

Despite consecutive 3-8 seasons, the Wildcats have become more competitive under Stoops, who makes an estimated $890,000 annually. Last season they upset No. 7 UCLA and averaged 53,613 fans per home game.

2. TheGodfather889

TheGodfather889 New Member

I want Mike Stoops back!

3. BASSooner

BASSooner New Member

we all do:(

4. lufkinaggie07

lufkinaggie07 New Member

He's a good coach and will turn Arizona into a power in the Pac-10, I almost wish A&M had offered him the head coaching job before we got Fran.

5. slickdawg

slickdawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Mike is a great coach and will do well, he just needs another year or two
    to right the ship.

6. soonerndn

soonerndn New Member

I think he'll have a decent QB this year (Tuitama), so I expect more wins for 'Zona (a bowl bid would be nice).

7. BlondeSoonerGirl

BlondeSoonerGirl Hillbilly Queen

8. #1-Erin-Higgins-Fan

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan New Member

That's great! I hope his team does really well.

9. TheGodfather889

TheGodfather889 New Member

The most Mike Stoops can do is get Arizona to bowl games. I don't think he'll ever have a shot to win the Pac 10 unless USC is terrible and I don't think that's ever happening anytime soon. It's just too hard to recruit at Arizona.

10. BoomerJack

BoomerJack New Member

FWIW: Athlon's has 'em picked to win four with "swing" games against BYU, Ore. St. and Ariz. St. and also finish sixth in the PAC-10.

11. BASSooner

BASSooner New Member

Actually, he can grab kids from both california and texas. He did very well this year for the 2006 recruiting class.

12. Soonerwolf

Soonerwolf New Member

Mixed emotions - the best of luck to Mike Stoops at Arizona, howeeeeever, I want him back . . .

Hook 'em

13. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

I loved my ex wife . does that mean I want her back ? Nope, I wish her well . I think Mike has a shot at an MNC at Zona .
    Hes recruted well and is building a team .
    Its hard to believe that Zona fell so far :eek: Ring a bell ?
    I also have a hard time believing that hes only won 6 games in 2 yrs :eek:
    So many games could have gone either way .
    Mike will build a dynasty in the desert JMHO:)

14. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

If he has another losing season he'll be the Pac-10 Fran. I don't want the guy to do bad... I just miss the firey players he brought to OUr program...

15. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Didnt say that I didnt miss the fire my ex had in HMMMM:D
    He will do fine there Look for a bowl game this year and and some Hugh upsets ;)

16. stonecoldsoonerfan

stonecoldsoonerfan New Member

fran had alot more talent at aTm to work with than what mike had to work with when he got to zona.

17. snp

snp New Member

You unselfish bastards.

You should be rooting against Mike so he gets fired and can come back here. ;)

18. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Huh? Are you out of your mind?

Fran? Let's see, when did Mike Stoops get hired to coach a religious school in Texas, then go to a perennial powerhouse, woo the fans into the fold, then **** them right square in their collective rebel asses, then go to a cultish commune and take some pretty decent talent and waste it?

Sorry, but Mike Stoops would have to do a whole lot of stupid/crappy/pitiful stuff to = Franochio.

19. Herr Scholz

Herr Scholz SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He's still recruiting the state of Texas pretty hard. I always see Arizona listed on the Texas recruits' lists.

20. stonecoldsoonerfan

stonecoldsoonerfan New Member

and he'll get some of those recruits too. he's just now getting his recruits in place. he'll do well at zona.