1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wayman Tisdale

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by Sooner04, May 15, 2009.

1. Sooner04

Sooner04 New Member

I can still hear it. It's funny the things you remember from your childhood. I can barely see Michael Irvin chugging down the west sideline. I can also see Keith Jackson, #88, going for 88 up the east sideline.

But I can hear Wayman.

In the womb, and as a toddler, I took a seat at the Lloyd Noble Center in what was then Section LE-3. My first games as a human being were played in the fall of 1982 when OU featured a devastating freshman named Wayman Tisdale.

He was there with me as I grew up. There's my parents, video recorder in hand, videotaping their baby boy. That's me. I've got goofy, black sunglasses on and a microphone in my hand. Who's your favorite player, Brandon? I'd answer just like the PA guy would after another Wayman turnaround jumper..........."WAYMAN TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISDALE!"

Lots of kids wore #23 in basketball for Michael Jordan. Not me. I wore it for Wayman. Lots of people throw batting averages and stats around. I always remembered a cool one: 2,661. That's the number of points Wayman scored in three years at OU.

Lots of people came to OU Basketball this year and became fans. For them, the foundation of their fandom begins with Blake Griffin. I'm happy for them, but I'm different. Mine begins with Wayman Tisdale, the greatest basketball player in the history of the University of Oklahoma.

Next time OU Basketball comes up, don't forget to mention Wayman Tisdale. Talk about the turnaround jumper that was pure buttermilk. Remind people of the smile that had more wattage than your local power grid. Most of all, remind them of the person. I met him once, in 1997, and he was very, very kind. As far as I know, he was that way to everybody.

My favorite Sooner of all-time is gone, but I won't let him be forgotten. The record speaks for itself.

Points - 2,661 (25.6 PPG)
    Rebounds - 1,048 (10.1 RPG)

61 points against UT-San Antonio in 1984
    55 points against SW Texas in 1985
    51 points against Abilene Christian in 1983
    46 points against Iowa State in 1983
    44 points against Hawaii in 1983

Wayman played 104 games in Crimson and Cream. He went for more than 30 in 32 of them.

Goodbye, Wayman. You were the best, and I'll miss you.

2. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hear, hear. I never followed basketball when I was younger, so when I asked "Who's Wayman Tisdale?" to an OSU fan (at the time, he's converted now). He gave me the biggest WTF I've ever seen. His status in basketball truly is legendary.

3. bri

bri America's Sweetheart

R.I.P., Wayman. :(

4. MrJimBeam

MrJimBeam New Member

Wayman is the only reason I follow Sooner basketball today. It's like part of your childhood passing too.

OU_Sooners75 likes this.
  5. SoonerJustice

SoonerJustice New Member

Wayman, you were the best! I cried when you left OU and I cried this morning. You will always be remembered and loved!

Sooner04 likes this.
  6. Xstnlsooner

Xstnlsooner New Member

I ran into Wayman several times in Tulsa over the last ten years,
    just out eating with his family. He was always most gracious
    and kind. What a shock! Grace to his family...

7. OUmillenium

OUmillenium New Member

My heart is breaking I just opened this thread without knowing the news. Unbelievable how hard to accept some losses. I was 12 in 1984 and much like the starter of this thread, it was Wayman who made me fall in love with OU basketball => go to bask camps at OU => meet my future brother-in-law => etc. Thanks Wayman for all the ways you have touched this world in a positive light.

8. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This.

9. SoonerShark

SoonerShark New Member

We knew he was ill, but he spent his last moments making us feel better so we were hopeful he was getting better. Now that he has passed, there is nobody to take up his spot in our life. My condolences go out to his family along with our thanks for sharing his life's moments with us.

10. Thousands Strong

Thousands Strong New Member

Thanks for being a great example on and off the court, Wayman.

Prayers to his family and friends.

11. Ardmore_Sooner

Ardmore_Sooner New Member

I can't lie, I shed a few tears when I heard the news. But I just try to remember the fact that Wayman wouldn't want any of us to sit here and mourn his passing. He'd have the big grin on his face letting all of us know that it was all part of God's plan.

We'll miss you Wayman.

AlbqSooner likes this.
  12. OUmillenium

OUmillenium New Member

Amen Ardmore

13. GoState

GoState New Member

He was one of the best and most consistent players I've seen come through Gallagher-Iba. He was classy then and remained a great ambassador for Oklahoma. He will be missed.

14. Sooner04

Sooner04 New Member

In 1997, as a recruiting ploy, Kelvin decided to retire Wayman's number in hopes of luring another Booker T. Washington product to Norman, a kid by the name of Ryan Humphrey.

I was in the Boy Scouts for six years, and I eventually earned the rank of Eagle. My dad was one of the assistant scoutmasters, so I rarely, if ever, missed one of the monthly campouts. When word came out that they'd be retiring Wayman's number, it just so happened to be on the same day as one of our campouts.

I went to Dad and asked if I could miss this one and go see Wayman. Normally my requests for missing were met with a swift answer of no. But Dad knew how much I loved Wayman, and it didn't take him long at all to say yes.

So I went to Norman that day and saw us stomp O-State pretty good. But the highlight of that day was meeting Wayman Tisdale and getting to shake his hand for the first, and ultimately only, time. If you thought that smile was radiant on TV, you have no idea how bright it was when you stood right next to him.

15. Sooner24

Sooner24 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Having seen most all the games he played I guess the three moments that stand out most to me were two games in the Big 8 tournament and the last game he ever played in that he won as a Sooner.

First memory was the 1984 Big 8 tournament championship game against Kansas. Tim McAlister let fly a shot from the top of the key, at the buzzer, that would have won the game. It didn't find its mark and I will never forget Wayman on the floor beating the court with his fist.

Memory number two was the next year also at the Big 8 tournament championship game. We were playing ISU and had the game wrapped up. The OU fans there were badly out numbered by the Cyclone fans but the chant started up "one more year" "one more year" for Wayman to come back for his senior season. As we were chanting the Iowa State fans started chanting too and as we got quite to hear what they were chanting it was "GO PRO!" "GO PRO!". He listened to them.

Last Wayman memory was the La Tech game in Dallas at the NCAA Regional. I am sure many have seen the shot WWT took that bounced around the rim forever but when it went in our whole section erupted.

Going to my sons graduation tonight at OU will be just a little bitter-sweet.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  16. OhU1

OhU1 New Member

Wayman and I are the same age and both entered OU as Freshmen in 1982. Wayman is my all time favorite OU athlete. He was as dominant in his day as any athlete that has played at OU in any sport. He was always gracious, upbeat, and seemed to have humility. I can't believe he's gone.

17. NMSooner'80

NMSooner'80 Member

I have the games he played against Syracuse ('84), Georgia Tech ('85) and Louisiana Tech ('85 NCAA Sweet 16 game) on tape. I'll have to take a look again, but I just hope I don't break down at those memories.

I only met him once, but I know he was of such good character that I'm still feeling it a bit.

18. Cappy

Cappy New Member

Thanks 04, summed it up nicely. What an amazing player he was, but an even better person. That gets said too often in most cases, but won't be said enough about Wayman. Gonna miss his smile. What a sad day, but Heaven got a good one today.

19. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Sad day.

He was a great guy.

I'll miss him.

God Bless the Family during this time of loss.

20. OUAlumni1990

OUAlumni1990 New Member

Heartbreaking. RIP...