1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dom Alexander is declaring to the NFL

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by pappy, Jan 2, 2016.

1. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

Per soonerscoop.com Dom Alexander is joining Sanchez in declaring early.

2. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hmmmm Think he really received a high draft grade?

3. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

He's probably 5th or later round pick because he is undersized for a MLB in the NFL.

4. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm doubting it. Kinda feels like the Sanchez situation

I'm starting to get a little more concerned about finding replacements. Having two top-10 teams in our first three games does leave us much time to break in the replacements.

5. BoulderSooner79

Sanchez I understand - I don't see another year increasing his odds of making the NFL. He has been a play maker from day 1 and his size is what it is. Dom seems raw and could use another year to work on technique. The positive thing I see for Dom is that he is the perfect size to play special teams. He has enough speed to get down field and enough size to have some impact when he gets there. And he won't have to fight off O-lineman on the way. =:-O

6. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Sure didn't see this coming...I thought Stoops was up front with
    his players about the No Fun League. Dom doesn't look ready to
    me, but what do I know anyway?

7. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He's been starting almost since Day 1, and we have almost an identical coaching staff, so I'd imagine all the flaws he has now will still be with him next year. There could be some improvement, but I doubt it would be enough to offset the fact that he'd have another year of wear and tear under his belt. To some extent, I also feel that team success factors in, and given our ridiculous schedule, it's going to be tough to finish in the top 5 or 6 again (even if we are legitimately that good). Lastly, I'm sure he hasn't forgotten Nelson's injury (which opened the door for him).

8. BoulderSooner79

All true. Dom has never been a consistent impact player, but some guys do break out late in their senior year. Hope it works out for him, but it never entered my mind he would declare early. But outside of Sanchez, I didn't see any of OUr guys going early.

9. SoonernAR

SoonernAR New Member

I'm not feeling good about our defense next year, which probably will translate into at least 4 losses.

10. Okie35

Okie35 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Sanchez will go 2-4 Dom will go 3-5 they'll be okay.. And if we are supposed to be the Oklahoma we think we are, then next man up... I think 7 returning starters will still suffice for us. I'm more concerned about the maturity of the offensive line.

11. SoonerForLife92

SoonerForLife92 New Member

Came here to say something like this. Good post.

Eielson had some good points as well.

12. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This year's juniors need to take hold RIGHT NOW! Remember after the
    Texas game and keep that strut, thought, anger, determination. Yup, can
    be done...lookin' hard for #8 in 2016...BOOMER!

13. Received a 3rd round grade..Problem is this is a linebacker heavy class, so that translates to probably the 5th or later.

14. SoonerStormchaser

SoonerStormchaser Emma's Daddy!

Haven't seen a single OU player that's left early since Sam that I thought was actually making a good move in leaving early...and this year is no exception.

15. BoulderSooner79

I think it worked out well for Kenny Stills. It has worked out for Tony Jefferson too, even though he went undrafted. He happened to land with the right team for his skills and it's going to net him a good 2nd contract. But that was as much luck as being a good decision.

16. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

With NFL players only averaging about 3-year-careers, the only ones who should be advised not to go are the ones who will make it to a second, larger NFL contract after their rookie deal expires --- starting quarterbacks, franchise players (i.e. the Gerald McCoys and Adrian Petersons). Otherwise, leaving early hinders your future earning potential.

If you don't have a future earning potential, however, by all means get the money while you can... but will you get the money even to begin with? If there's a possibility you won't get drafted, don't go pro. If your position in the draft is stacked and you're going to be a late rounder, don't go pro.

17. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Granted, Gerald and Adrian both left early and it worked out for them. :)

However, others that were at potential franchise positions from other schools (Blaine Gabbert, ex Mizzou quarterback comes to mind) won't get a big, second QB contract after his rookie deal expires because he wasn't ready.