1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 Recruit - Ricky DeBerry

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by VA Sooner, Feb 3, 2014.

1. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I was at the park with the kids and ran in to a big guy (6'4", 300+ pounds and looked like a tree) wearing an OU hat... unusual here in Richmond. I just happened to be wearing my Sugar Bowl Champions shirt and struck up a conversation. His kid is Ricky DeBerry who is rated as the #6 outside linebacker in the country and is looking hard at OU. Montgomery and Stoops have met with him and the family and are thinking as a hybrid linebacker/DE like Eric Striker when they first met him in June of 2013.

And after the Sugar Bowl... he sounds like he's got OU at the top of the list (50+ offers). Any body else know something about him or heard of him? Would be kind of cool to see him on TV being a local kid and all.

2. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

A 6-4 300+ dude and Eric Striker don't fit in the same sentence. 6-4 300+ makes you a DT - not a hybrid OLB/DE.

edit...I see you where talking about the kid's dad being that big! My bad!!! Carry on.......

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  3. Curly Bill

Rivals has him listed at 6-2 237

edit....The kid that is, not the dad!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  4. soonerfan28

soonerfan28 New Member

5. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I haven't really spent much time on the 2015 offers (but I will later in the week), but DeBerry was an early OU target. Scout ranks him as the #2 OLB in the country, and Va Tech is doing everything they can to land him (he attended their junior day last weekend).

I'm guessing (since I haven't really looked at things closely) that we're looking to take at least 2 OLBs in the 2015 class. Justin Hilliard (#5 OLB according to Scout), from Ohio, was on campus last weekend for OU's junior day. Sure would be nice to land both of those guys!

6. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He'd be 250+ by the time he got on campus. Most likely you'd be looking at a hand on the ground DE at 300 lbs.

7. Tulsa_Fireman

Tulsa_Fireman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Big, long kid on the edges. Reminds me of a Dan Cody or Aaron Kampman. You gotta like that from the OLB in the 3-4 if he can leverage that length.

8. Curly Bill

FWIW: Scout list him at 6-2 240, and already has him listed as a 5-star recruit for next year.