1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playoff teams

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Soonerjeepman, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

so, what's everyone's take.

Bama
    Big 10 osu/um/psu?
    Clemson
    Wash?

I keep hearing usc...really? they have 3 losses...WTH?

I'm torn about OU getting there...I just feel our D just isn't there. (I'm honestly "tired" of OU going and hearing the "doesn't deserve it" after OU loses.

Win a Jan bowl or go to playoff?

2. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Win a Jan bowl. I would love to see the Sooners reach higher but like you said, our defense just isn't there. After Jordan Evans went out, we got soft in the middle and then Romar went down.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not complaining/whining. Our team is very, very good... but playoff potential? Not yet... but the defense is much better and we've got some incredible talent out there now. Love the way the kids are playing.

Soonerjeepman likes this.
  3. Soonerjeepman

Totally agree...I am on the edge as to whether our offense could hang in a playoff game...prob..but I'm old school...D wins championships.

Crazy losing Jordan really showed. Course wv gave us some gifts in the TO dept...but that is part of it.

4. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

What's funny is how the sports media keeps dissing OU, saying the Sooners don't deserve to be in the CFP this year, downplaying what Oklahoma has done since 1-2.

Meanwhile, the CFP Committee loves OU, mainly because OUr QB, a potential Heisman finalist, is a marquee, standout type with name recognition and an exciting style of play.

Anything that shakes up the conventional wisdom dispensed by the talking heads is good for the game, keeps people interested and that is what gets Oklahoma into the CFP discussion.

5. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We must watch to different sports media - the ones I watch have been touting OU as a dark horse since mid-season. "Don't go to sleep on OU" has been a common tagline since we took care of the horns in Dallas.

I don't believe OU belongs in the CFP because after 11 games, the defense has convinced me that it cannot play at a minimally effective level this season. But if OU gets in, I'll be cheering my head off just like last year when OU didn't belong. And I won't b*tch about the results.

6. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

While I agree with the sentiment that our defense will probably embarrass us if we were to get into the playoffs, I also feel last year's presence helped us to garner a very good 2017 recruiting class. Recruits seem to like their chances with a team that's able to "get there."

7. BoulderSooner79

My feeling that this OU team doesn't belong in the CFP is not due to fear OUr guys would get dominated - I'd just rather see better teams get the slots. Last year is was obvious before the CFP began that OU and MSU were not at a level to challenge Clemson or Bama. That proved to be fact when the semi's were real yawners. Both tOSU and Stanford would have been much better competition, albeit still underdogs. But life's not fair and I certainly am not complaining about any recruiting benefits we may have gotten.

But having said all that, this year looks to be different. Every team outside of Bama has walked a thin line against weak teams or been down right whipped. So it could well be that no other team is up to normal "elite" standards and OU would be as good as any for one of those 3 other slots. (I hope I'm wrong and that Bama does at least get challenged.)

8. Soonerjeepman

it'll be a tough one...tired of 'bama winning it...lol

9. BoulderSooner79

Between Bama and the Patriots, I'm almost losing interest in football knowing the same teams are almost guaranteed to be there.

10. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

I'd rather OU go to the playoffs than to just go to a random bowl game. I'd rather have a chance albeit a slim chance of winning the title than no chance at all. OU would be matched up against Bama who yes is the best team in the country overall, but that doesn't mean they can't have an off night and get upset. OU is full of future NFL players on offense just like Bama is on defense and a few years ago I didn't think OU had a chance at all in the Sugar Bowl and OU pulled off the upset then. This year's OU team is better than that year's OU team and so is Bama's. ... All that said with 2 weeks of games left and the things that need to happen for OU to get into the playoff I'd say OU has a better chance of beating Alabama than actually making it to the playoff. ... I figure Bama is in no matter what at this point. Ohio St will beat Michigan (missing starting qb) which will eliminate Michigan, however will mean either Wisconsin or Penn St will join Ohio ST in the playoff. The Big 10 has been the best conf in the country this year and one of them will be the champion of that conf...that leaves 1 spot available for either Washington (only team I think has a real shot out of pac 12), Clemson and winner of bedlam. ... Of course it becomes an even more interesting if Penn St finds a way to lose to Mich St which then Ohio St goes on to play the big 10 title game where they could beat Wisconsin and then there will only be 1 team from the big 10 to get in. ... College football is crazy and needs to go to a 8 team playoff sooner rather than later. ... the 5 power 5 conf champions and 3 at large.

11. Jacie

Going into the final weekend, it appears OUr path to the CFP has come to an end.

I don't see OU being ranked over either of the Washington/Colorado winner and the Wisconsin/Penn State winner, all of which are ranked higher than the Sooners today. It doesn't matter if Clemson wins or loses their game with V-Tech. A Clemson win means one of those four will make it, a Clemson loss, two of them will be in the CFP, while Oklahoma's highest possible ranking would still be first out.

12. BoulderSooner79

I figured CU would leap frog OU since OU didn't play while CU added a quality win and a division title. I probably would have voted that way myself if I were on the committee and left my crimson shades at home.

Interesting thing about OU is they get down graded due to a weak defense (which is true). But in the 2 games they lost, the offense sputtering was just as big a factor as the defense.

13. swardboy

Of course, given the fact that OU owns Alabama on the scoreboard over the last decade....

14. BoulderSooner79

You really think that would have any bearing on such a match-up this year? I could see it motivating Saban to pour it on to make a statement, but that's about it.

15. Soonerjeepman

yup looks like a B12 -2 championship is on the line and a trip to the sugar bowl.

our D scares me with osu's O. I do think our O is better than their D...so I guess it'll be whoever gets the ball last!

So, what is the highest rank OU can get after it's all said and done....if OU goes 2-0?

NC #1 (bets are bama ugh~) beats osu
    #2 osu (loses to bama)
    #3 clemson (loses to osu)
    #4 wash (loses to bama) (wash beats cu)
    #5 psu or wisc (whovever wins big 10)
    #6 um
    #7 OU

course this is all predicated on them taking osu over the big 10 champion which is total bs, and wash beating cu in pac12 CCG and all the teams ahead win their bowl if not in playoff.

IF CU wins then I think they'll take 2 big 10 teams, osu and psu/wisc winner.

16. BoulderSooner79

I rather it scare the other team, but at least it scares someone ! :p

mainline13 likes this.
  17. Soonerjeepman

lol true. I looked at the one article who has the edge (think Tulsa paper)..of course it's OU's Off and osu's Off...coaching is OU Special teams a push...so NO ONE thinks either D is worth a $hit~

18. SoCalBigRed

SoCalBigRed Well-Known Member

Except, now we're playing an opponent who's going to be pissed, hungry, and something to prove, against a team protecting draft picks.

No... We've never seen this before.

19. Jacie

In a football paradox, the game that eliminated OU from the CFP (or at least 1 of them) lifted tOSU into it. Without that signature win, the buckeyes, which did not play for their conference championship, would be just another team needing someone else to lose to get in.

Bottom line: Oklahoma matters cause it still means a lot to beat the Sooners.

20. swardboy

Yep, t/OSU owes us a win at the horseshoe next season, lol. Baker's committed to coming back in 2017. Now we just need DD, Joe, Samaje to return and we have a chance...not gonna happen I fear.