1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN fears the Stanford band

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by BoulderSooner79, Jan 1, 2016.

1. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So Boulder, you invite a co-worker and his family over for dinner. When they arrive the co-worker's 15 year old son proceeds to make derogatory jokes about your family and home. Now these jokes would probably get belly laughs from the 15 year old son's friends but somehow I don't think you feel the kid is as cool and humorous as his friends do. Acting like a bunch of morons around friends and family is one thing. Acting like that around strangers who've invited you into their home(University) is just begging for an *** kicking.

The Stanford band doesn't own the name of their band. I am sure they don't pay their way to the games. You would think there are some grownups who would step in and rein these juveniles in. Rude, crude, untalented and socially unacceptable. But I guess that's their schtick, isn't it. Imagine if everybody acted like these spoiled little pricks did around strangers.

2. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm not seeing the analogy. This is sports, not someones home, and there is always banter and taunting between opposing fans. I see no problem unless it is mean spirited. And you are spot on that they are students of Stanford and if the school wants to stop it they could - but they don't. As an alum, I have no issues unless as I said, it becomes mean spirited. Stanford is a great school and if I thought this was a problem, I would speak up. I've known the President of Stanford for 30 years and if this upset me, I'd say something to him (not that it would carry any weight, but I'd try). As it stands, I look forward to what they have cooked up.

3. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

Did they hit too close to home or something? Do they have too much fun with their improvised instruments or something?

What specifically is so offensive?

4. FaninAma

You're one of the crowd that stayed silent in the story of the Emperor Has No Clothes. You probably think Kim Kardashian is cool and hot, too.

Sorry to be harsh but saying anything positive about that joke of a band and waste of money(not to mention the poor representation they give your alma mater) is silly.

5. FaninAma

I don't dislike them because they are offensive. I dislike them because they're not funny. They're just sophomoric and stupid and they try way too hard to be cutting edge and in-your-face. If they want to be disrespectful why don't they ridicule their own school's traditions and administration starting with their President/Board of Regents? Or they could start with that stupid tree mascot by setting it on fire. Ridiculing the traditions of the opposing team is cowardly. Do something that tweaks the nose of your own university and be prepared to take the heat.

6. FaninAma

7. bmjlr

bmjlr Active Member

8. BoulderSooner79

I'm just saying as an alum, I have interest in what kind of skit they put together for football halftimes. That's it - if they went away tomorrow it wouldn't bother me just as their goofiness doesn't bother me now. Stanford doesn't require a traditional band to uphold their image. If the wealthy donors and/or administration want to shut it down, they could do it instantly since it is a private school. I'm sure it has caused them some heartburn, but they choose to allow the freedom of expression (for now).

I don't understand why you are so judgmental of the Stanford band unless you have some sort of connection you are not revealing. This seems like a Stanford fanbase/school issue. If you are just commenting as a disapproving (potential) opposing fan, then from the band's point of view - mission accomplished. BTW, the OU band taunts opposing fans too, but they do it from a different angle. I see other fans boards complaining they can't get that goddam "Boomer Sooner" tune out of their heads for 2 weeks after a game against us. More of a water torture approach than direct parody.

9. TAFBSooner

TAFBSooner Well-Known Member

I think that's about the worst thing I've ever heard.

How marvelous.

10. BoulderSooner79

? I'm sure the OU band would take that as a compliment.

11. TAFBSooner

TAFBSooner Well-Known Member

Meant as such.

BoulderSooner79 likes this.
  12. Saw them at the Sun Bowl a few years back.. Kind of funny at first, but the novelty of it wore off quick.. Didn't make me mad, it was like your drunk uncle telling you the same joke 5 times.

BoulderSooner79 likes this.
  13. TheHumanAlphabet

TheHumanAlphabet SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Its what they do... I guess they are the lefty progressive band. Like the Rice band...

14. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

My only personal encounter with them was in basketball. Pep band had to be repeatedly told by officials to sit down during the game. They did a stupid dance whenever we played Boomer Sooner. Freshmen brought nachos over to us; said it was a Stanford tradition. Most of us were too worried they were tainted to eat them... tubas didn't care, though ;)

The OU band director did a fairly long post on dealing with them before the Sun Bowl on facebook. I don't think he'd mind if I shared an excerpt here:

15. 12

12 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Thanks to this thread, I have a reason to be alert to the Stanford band. Ain't it a good time to be alive?

16. 12

12 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I just did some research, and BOY AM I ANGRY!!! College kids playing music and being silly for laughs... where will it end?? Next thing you know, they'll be buying alcohol and having sex!

17. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

As long as they don't play St. Elmo's Fire, I'm okay

18. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

Or I've Been Working on the Railroad