1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**** just got real!

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Eielson, Feb 3, 2015.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

We'll agree to disagree. My position is that teams can win throwing the ball. The game has changed, and having a great running game no longer guarantees success (at least at the level we want to see). We had about as good a ground game as we've had since Murray left, and it netted us an 8-5 record. Rushing the ball is still an important part of having a successful offense, but it's no longer the only way to win.

I can't really argue much about the defense as it's not been anywhere close to what we need. I'm holding off on my opinion of the new defensive coaches, until they've had a chance to show they can or can't get the job done. I'm happy with the hires, but that means very little.

We'll see soon which of us is right.

2. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Which means nothing in discussions of Cody Thomas because he was an outfielder: http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArt...B_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209395287&Q_SEASON=2013

And, an outfielder who pitched zero innings for OU in 2014: http://www.soonersports.com//pdf9/2727924.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=31000

The reason Thomas should play football instead of baseball is he hit .083...and, he's not a pitcher. So, any talk of him flirting with a Major League career, anyway, was simply fantasy.

And, as we've seen from his time at QB, any talk of him having an NFL career is also nothing but fantasy. He'd be a great player at a Sam Houston State or Eastern Washington; somewhere with slower defenses that don't take as much reading.

3. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

TDTW is a bitter, bitter, MFer!

rock on sooner likes this.
  4. #8soon

#8soon Member

TDTW, the New York Yankees don't draft "fantasy" and the fact that you throw out a bat avg based on 12 ab's proves you don't know squat about baseball. I already know you don't know squat about football.

5. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He complained about Walker not getting any tackles his redshirt season. He's a lost cause.

6. Tear Down This Wall

Call me when he suits up for the Yankees. I'm sure the Majors are just brimming with guys who can't hit college pitching.

7. Eielson

I think it's a safe bet he won't ever play for the Yankees, seeing as he just gave up the sport that the Yankees generally play.

8. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

If it matters, I'm pretty sure Baker Mayfield won the SF.com poll. I think Trevor was second

9. Tear Down This Wall

Don't tell me. I already know he'll never play major league ball or in the NFL. As of now, he's wasting good scholarship space in either sport. It's #8soon who begs to differ regarding his baseball talents, not me.

10. Tear Down This Wall

Horrifying that we've become Texas Tech clones, right down to former players and coaches. Hard to believe that Bob Stoops has become this stupid. Next step is crappy new uniforms for every other game.

Oh, well...two more years at most. The Texas money allowed Mack to slowly run the Longhorns into the ground. Cue, "We've Only Just Begun" and wait for the same fate.

11. Eielson

While on the topic of making ridiculous wagers, I'm going to bet that Archie Bradley never plays in the NFL.

12. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Look on the bright side. You'll have two years of crowing about the accuracy of your Nostradamus-esque quatrains as the program sinks into the abyss. And if by some minute chance (probably by divine intervention) things don't go as you predicted, you'll just as eagerly return to eat a bit of crow - no?

13. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Switzer was pretty well washed up in the early 80's

Turned out he wasn't quite as stupid as the 'fans' who were calling for his head

14. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Huh? Don't you think you're borrowing a lot of trouble. How do you know if this offense will or will not be viable?

15. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

good points I hadn't considered.

16. Tear Down This Wall

Leach's track record of no championships, and that of his coaching tree. It's the biggest fleecing in college football.

I can also look at the roster and see the collection of stiffs at quarterback, the stable of strong running backs, and realize that Stoops doesn't understand where the talent is on his own roster.

We'll be treated to a football team with average QBs and receivers running a high school offense, putting our already inept defense back on the field time after time, until we wake up with two more 3-5 loss seasons.

It's done. And, the comparisons to Switzer are wholly laughable. Not even going to address. Some pretend Bob worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Bud and Barry, but it's nothing but fluff. Longer seasons gave him the opportunity to win more; but his winning percentage will never equal Bud or Barry. Nor will he ever win three national title. He'll ever win a second.

When his tenure is done, the story will be of Bob catching lightning in a bottle in 2000, and pissing away many other chances with terribly unprepared teams in other championships, beginning with the K-State thrashing in the 2003 Big 12 title game.

We used to laugh at the Longhorns for not knowing how out of the loop Mack Brown had become. We are now in the same position with Bob. He's lost what made him - an attacking defense that dictated to the offense. It is now the complete opposite - read and react defenses on their heels, corners eight to 10 yards off. It's putrid. Bob2000 is long gone.

We won that national title game 13-2, not 63-2. It's defense. It's always been defense. Bob has surrendered his offense to Leach robots on one side of the ball, and read and react on the other side. In short, he has become Texas Tech North. It's no wonder we only beat them half the time we play them now - we are them.

Awful.

17. BoulderSooner79

TDTW, you never cease to crack me up.

18. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

TDTW is a little over the top for me, but I don't think he's terribly off course in at least some of what he's saying. The next coupla years are gonna be telling for Bob and the direction of OU football (largely whether Bob is gonna continue being a part of it).

19. BoulderSooner79

Oh, I agree with many of TDTW's points. It's his gloom and doom writing style and stating predictions as fact that cracks me up. Reminds me of a Monty Python skit "The end of the Earth" which was actually a redo of an earlier British skit that included Dudley Moore.

"Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the earth?" (TDTW would say yes)

20. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Well....those winds blowing across the Oklahoma plains towards Norman are gaining strength! ;)