1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013-14 OU womens basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I KNOW Coale refers to her team like this...yes, I'm nit picking...but they are not GUYS, Way to Go SOONERS, Ladies, women, PLAYERS, females...whatever...but this cross gender thing is old. For the record when the real GUYS play, I don't call them "men, guys, boys.." I just call them Sooners.

Okay..sorry for the preaching..but this cross gender philosophy push in general is really getting old and I noticed you capitalized it, making your point.

So, WAY TO GO SOONERS! I HOPE they can salvage the rest of the season but not sure the NCAA is within reach short of winning the Big 12 tourney. After going to OU/ku game I noticed there is not a lot of depth, 10 players total? with 3 not playing at all in that game. ku had like 15 suited up, so it seemed.

2. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I hope boosters and other prominent folks are putting Sherry Coale's feet to the fire!

I am not on the boat of her being replaced. But I am in the boat of she needs to gut her staff and start over with fresh faces.

It is working for Stoops, surely it can work for Coale.

It is time Coale cuts ties with her friends in Norman and get some real coaches!

The talent level continues to drop, and it is showing!

3. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

I agree.

I still have high hopes for Maddie Manning when she returns next season.

5-0

4. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

These so called friends were there when she took 3 teams to the Final 4. I think she is making adjustments and will make inroads with recruiting. We have an outstanding point guard coming in next year which, IMO, will make a big difference.

5. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

My (much more knowledgeable and passionate about this team) colleagues at ouhoops have heard rumors about this, but it's the Internet, take it for what it's worth. I tend to veer towards the "give Sherri a season to right the ship" right now, but that's likely due to us winning a few good games recently.

Me too, but I said the same thing last season when she also got ousted early due to injury. I'm not sure I can be hopeful more than three seasons, so here's hoping that year 3 (which is actually year 1 according to NCAA eligibility) is finally THE year!

I know you're also an ouhoops lurker so you've also heard both sides on this argument. Our recruiting is up, our recruiting is questionable, we'll be stellar with next year's player's, why aren't our returning Sweet 16 started doing anything this year, etc etc.

In short, the final month(ish) of OU womens basketball really will tip the scale. If we win out (or at least close... we still have another Baylor game or two, after all), we can go into the offseason optimistic and ready for our next generation of awesome. If we continue disappointing at home and on the road and lose close games or games that we were never competitive in at all... gah.

OU 64, KU 61
    Thank goodness we pulled off this nailbiter. We had KU in bonus (and then double bonus) very early in the second half, with about 4 players in foul trouble. However, Morgan had a senior clutch free throw moment in our final possession to bring us up by 6, then KU dinked around too long, hitting a 3 as the buzzer sounded. Congrats, Ladyjays! You lose by 3 instead of by 6 :p

Of note:
    Aaryn didn't play again
    : Concussed for another game, but SS.com notes that we are 3-0 without her so far this season. Look for her to return to the lineup tonight, according to SS.com's projected starters.

Morgan scores 15: My husband made fun of me for saying that she has really stepped up her senior leadership late this season, because it seemed like the few moments he looked up at the TV she was turning the ball over, missing a three, or doing something else odd. So, granted, she's not perfect (0 for 3 from three, 5 turnovers, 3 rebounds, 5 for 10 overall from field), but she did hit those late free throws to seal the game.

Tall Nicole out-talls everyone: She continues to move a bit awkwardly in the post for points and rebounds, but you simply cannot overlook (nyuck nyuck) how much of a difference her height makes. 13 pts, 14 rebounds.

22 and 9 for Sharane: Almost a double-double for our junior starter.

0 for 11 for three: I swear I saw Sharane make a three in the second half, but then b1tch ref shot two fingers toward the scorer's table. Must have toed the line. Gah. At least KU shot horribly too (6 for 14 for three, 19 of 44 overall

Sherri?

Next game: 6 p.m. tonight at... Baylor. :( TV is FOX Sports 1 if you are eternally optimistic.

Boomer...

6. badger

Also, don't be this guy:

Revisionist history sometimes doesn't take very long. Suddenly, the "Miracle on Ice" game was for the gold medal, Texas A&M has three national championships and the OU women's basketball program was....well, let's just go through this step by step:

Sherri Coale.

The Big 8 dissolved in 1996. The OU women's basketball program was temporarily dropped in March 1990.

Once again, 1990 versus 1996 (the year they hired Sherri). There is no doubt that critics viewed the hiring of a high school coach from Norman High as a step backward, but not necessarily as a step to end women's basketball at OU.

I don't mean to call attention to this poor mistaken fellow, but I've heard this story told wrong many times over, so once again, March 1990 was when the program was temporarily ended, 1996 was when Sherri was hired on the recommendation of former OU associate athletic director and senior women's administrator Marita Hynes.

Joe Castiglione has certainly been behind multiple Sherri pay raises and other support during his tenure, but he was not behind her hiring. He became OU's athletic director in 1998 and was at Missouri before that. Joe C's signature hire will likely always be Bob Stoops (although Lon Kruger is certainly a hire to brag about).

I fear that revisionist history may also cast an unfair light on this season, so before it does, Sherri's worst OU season will (likely) always be her first two: 5-22 in '96-'97; 8-19 in '97-'98. Yes, she had led OU to the WNIT posteason before (1999) and she has had dismal Big 12 records turn into NCAA berths (8-8 in 2004-05, 9-7 in both 2003-04 and 2002-03)

7. badger

I remember when we'd dominate teams like Baylor's dominating us tonight. It was fun while it lasted. Now, I'm thankful I got to witness that one shining moment when we brought their 20+ lead down to 14. :(

8. badger

Well, at least we made 'em a little bit testy near the end.
    Baylor 96, OU 89
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully that image (thanks, SS.com) will lighten the mood a bit, for downtrodden Sooners and lurkers who want to laugh alike. But, because I'm supposed to be talking about the game, here's a photo from last night's game:
    [​IMG]
    Baylor games, blowout or close, win or lose, are always more fun to watch with Skeletor on the sidelines. Anyways, now that I've gotten token photos out of the way, here's some stats:

Down 32, then down 6: I gutted out watching the entire game last night, but I did it by reading toddler baj books. If you plan to watch any Sooner women's games the rest of this season, I recommend having a distraction or a damper close by. Several years ago a game with that big of a swing would have resulted in broken things, a lot of yelling and probably no sleep the night after. Anyway, we somehow turned a 32-point deficit with 15 minutes left into a 6-point deficit near the end.

Making mommy proud: Skeltor's evil apprentice... that's mean. What I meant to say was Kim Mulkey's dear daughter Makenzie Robertson got a technical. I sadly missed how it happened. Seriously, I'm very sad about this. Could someone please tell me why?

Aaryn scores 29: If we're comparing star stats, Odyssey Sims had 38. However, since Vegas was returning from concussion I think her 29 is worth more :) She also had 3 steals, 6 rebounds and 5 assists.

Foul play: Morgan, Kay Kay and T'ona Edwards all fouled out, while Sharane and Other Nicole had 4 each. It was basically to match Baylor's physicality, methinks. Sims especially seemed to have loose elbows

7 of 25 for three: Other Nicole (better nickname next year I promise) Kornet went 4 for 8, while Vegas was probably still in concussion mode, shooting 3 for 13.

Free throws: I shouldn't just point this out when we suck. We have drastically improved on this stat, going 20 for 24 last night, compared with Baylor's 23 of 35.

Sherri?
    If you are still teetering on the edge of "stick with it" or "make drastic changes," this game will not push you in either direction. We lost to the likely Big 12 champs on the road, but we also didn't lose by a lot.

Next game: 7 p.m. Saturday at TCU. TV is FS Southwest Plus. This will be our final Big 12 road game, then we have one at home Monday against pathe-Tech (not being clever, they really are bad) to close out the regular season. Big 12 tourney separates from its big brother this year and will be in OKC on the weekend of March 7-9.

Boomer

9. Soonerjeepman

saw the score and was mildly impress by the closeness...this is a $hit year for women's BBall..no doubt. Basketball isn't rocket science...one hoop, one ball, 5 players...hopefully she'll get it going next year.

10. badger

The majority of the game was not close. We started ice cold shooting, we were down 20+ at halftime and 30+ at one point in the second half. However, the endgame was the close part, as it should be (unless you're Baylor and blew a 30+ lead).

An ouhoopster that sometimes posts here enlightened me on the Robertson foul. Sadly, it was just touching the ball as we were inbounding it or some BS like that. Talk about giant letdown :(

11. Soonerjeepman

ugh...that ruined it for me. LOL, I actually thought we played well...

12. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

I approve.

13. Soonerjeepman

lol..take solace your girls are decent cause the guys suck~

14. badger

:D I like it when their men lose. Creates very fun banter to repost from BF.com. Baylor women win or lose, nobody really cares except a few. Certainly nothing to striptease the refs about

15. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Well, we got used to that situation a very long time ago. :D

16. Soonerjeepman

lol...nice come back.

17. badger

I call them pathe-Tech for a reason, not just trying to be clever.
    OU 87, Tech 32
    This is the program that Sheryl Swoopes played for. This is the program that won the national title back in the 90s. This is the program that used to regularly outdraw their men's program.

This is the new Texas Tech, 0-18 in conference and 6-23 overall, and we got to have our Senior Night (afternoon?) against them. Thank you, basketball gods.

Oh, I should have probably mentioned at some point that we also had a game at TCU on Saturday, but I'll let Sherri break the bad news to you all:

GAHHHHHHHHHHHH...beating tech stats time before i have a nervous breakdown

Senior starters... plus Other Nicole: As per tradition, senior start on senior night/afternoon, so so Portia Durrett logged 20 minutes with 7 points and 6 rebounds. Because we only have four seniors, Other Nicole got the fifth spot, adding 15 pts and 6 rebounds in 26 minutes.

Give it a rest: Nobody played more than 28 minutes, and 12 players got to log minutes.

Let it go: We also only committed 8 turnovers.

This season is over: The regular season is finally finished; The Big 12 tournament starts in OKC (not to be confused with KC, the host of the mens tourney) on Friday. The schedule is here.

Siiiiiiigh...Sherri?

Next game: Big 12 tourney, opponent not set yet I don't think. I promise not to abandon this thread on the side of the road just yet.

Boomer

18. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

I think Tech is worst team in Big 12 in the 21st century. I also think they quit on Candi yesterday too. She was the 1st one off the court too. May be in over her head.

19. BudsBoy

BudsBoy New Member

Oklahoma women's BB is and will no longer be a power in this conference unless Sherri changes the type of players she brings in. We have two players that play the modern game of basketball, Campbell and Vegas. The rest of them are all roll players who just can't play the modern game. Sherri is mostly after girls who are HER, small school try harder girls who might just turn out to be players in 4 years if they work real hard. Some do, most don't, ie. all those girls who have left the program because they couldn't compete in the big 12. If you are going to keep getting those they girls you damn sure better have assistant coaches that can teach them to play. But we say last night what those coaches mean to the girls, "Mom, you make us laugh, and thanks for being there when I need to talk". That is what each sr. said last night, not thanks for teaching me some basketball. Some body do something, please.

b

20. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Wow! I'm sorry you're soooooo unhappy!