1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sooners in ASU Tourney

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by 8timechamps, Feb 24, 2014.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Here's the schedule for our boys:

Thursday, February 27: Manhattan 5:00 pm
    Friday, February 28: Santa Clara 5:00 pm
    Saturday, March 1: Arizona State 5:00 pm
    Sunday, March 2: Gonzaga 12:00 pm

Should be a decent showing for the Sooners, but ASU and Santa Clara will be a test. On a side note, (QB and OF) Cody Thomas has seen a little bit of action this season (in blow outs). He's 0-3 (2 SO and a GO) at the plate, but I'm sure he'll get more looks and improve. Always fun to watch a dual sport guy.

2. Sooner95

Sooner95 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the schedule.

So far, not off to a great start. Seems we got a lot of new faces? Anyhow, 3 outta 4 out in AZ would be nice.

3. 8timechamps

Thought I'd post this one since you did the UCF one :)

3 out of 4 would definitely be a successful trip.

4. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

yeah...long season, heck even softball is stumbling early...but it's how they close out.

5. Sooner95

Yea noticed that with softball.. but like you said, it is early. Sometimes take bit to round everything in shape. Pitching is key as always. We either have it or we don't.

Manhattan I suspect we should handle. AZST should be a good measuring stick, they are usually pretty good? The other 2 games, I don;t know much about them.

6. Sooner95

Cheers for that.

7. Sooner95

I did a quick lookup, none of these teams are great, at least according to record.

Manhattan - 1-3
    Santa clara 5-4
    AZST 3-4 (1-2 vs Baylor)
    Gonzaga - 2-6

So if we are any good, 3-4 would be needed.

8. 8timechamps

I hadn't even looked at how those teams were doing this year, just basing it on how those programs are traditionally. Looks like the Sooners could really do some damage this weekend.

It starts tonight!

9. Soonerjeepman

9/0 OU top of 9th, looks like 1-0 so far.

10. Sooner95

FINAL: OU 9, MAN 0. Jones gets the K to put this one in the books. Copping (2-0) strikes out four and gets the win.

11. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'll be in Phoenix all wknd, may try to go see them.

12. Sooner95

Another win out in the desert!

FINAL: OU 8, SC 4. Choplick (2-1) gets the win in a 6.2-inning, 6-strikeout effort.

13. Soonerjeepman

nice...be awesome to get the sweep for the weekend.

14. Sooner95

Yea, I am guessing our toughest game out there is today vs AZST.

15. Sooner95

Update. Currently a rain delay for tonight game against AZST.

16. Sooner95

CANCELLED: Sooners and Sun Devils get washed out in Surprise. OU faces Gonzaga in finale tomorrow at 12:00 pm

17. 8timechamps

Thanks for the score updates Sooner95, I had been relying on my phone.

I agree, the toughest match-up for us in this tourney was going to be ASU, and looks like that won't happen. Should be able to take care of Gonzaga, and leave 3-0.

There's a definite different feel to this years team, no Gray, no Oberste, but I'm starting to think we have a scrappy group of players that will give everything they can to the game. If that is the case, we could be pretty damn good again this year, and make another run at the CWS. I know, I know, still too early.

18. Sooner95

No problem. Had to rely on twitter today. One thing I ash was College baseball had better updates.

Anyhow, I agree with you, we seem to have a lot of new faces but that could be a good thing. So far our ability to score runs seems to be there, I just do not know about our pitching. As you stated, it's early.

19. Sooner95

Lost today to Gonzaga 6-4.

20. hvhurricane

hvhurricane New Member

CT should be in the lineup everyday. The kid was a big time prospect coming out of HS. However, I don't think they get those reports up there in Virginia. We have good players on this team. There is no reason at all we should be losing these games. It is pathetic. Everyone thinks JC makes good hires because of the BS hire, but his lower tier hires have been pathetic. How in the hell he thought it would be a good idea to hire a yankee to coach baseball here, and then let him hire the most pathetic coach in Big 12 history is amazing. Then the two of them band together to get Geise, the best pitching couch we have had in a long time, out of the picture. Are you kidding me? This staff is horrible. Anderson was mowing lawns for a HS baseball team the last couple of years and that is where he should have stayed. The head coach had like two winning seasons in his whole career before coming to OU. They hosted a regional and got their *** kicked by everyone. Sounds like a good idea to pick him up on the cheap side, doesn't Joe? How bad of a hire do I think this is? I would rather have Ray Hayward back as the "Head Coach" before I would have hired this yankee. And as we all know, Ray was a great player at OU, but he was the worst pitching coach to ever hold the spot for OU.