1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final push for the 2014 class

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by 8timechamps, Jan 8, 2014.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

With the commit from Joseph Paul tonight (and if my numbers are accurate, which I believe they are), the Sooners have 7 remaining available scholarships. There are at least 7 guys out there that haven't committed (with serious OU interest), but here are the guys I think may close out the class (in no particular order)

DB/WR Michiah Quick
    DB Steven Parker ​- COMMITTED TO OU
    DE Deondre Clark
    CB Tee Shepard - Off the board/ Non-qualifier, will go JUCO another year.
    DT Courtney Garnett ​- COMMITTED TO OU
    OT Kenyon Frison
    OLB Jonathan Thomas - Off the board/OU No longer recruiting.

I doubt I'll guess them all correctly (contrary to Boulder79's confidence), and it's possible that Stoops & Co. may not use all 7 remaining scholarships, but I think it'll be close.

2. SoonerofAlabama

SoonerofAlabama Actual Poor Student

Did Kenyon Frison ever decommit from Utah?

3. 8timechamps

I don't think he has, but I'm sure the Utah coaches are very aware it's a "soft verbal". Kinda like Garnett's verbal to Texas and Deondre Clark's verbal to LSU.

4. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You don't have much hope for Adoree' Jackson?

5. SoonerofAlabama

SoonerofAlabama Actual Poor Student

What ever happened to Patrick Au?

6. IronHorseSooner

IronHorseSooner New Member

Here is what I am tracking, but I may be wrong:

QB: 5 (Knight, Bell, K. Thompson, Thomas, Hansen)
    RB: 7 (Ford, Ross, Smith, Mixon, Perine, Ripkowski, Flowers)
    TE: 4 (McNamara, Grant, Ilajana, Meier)
    OL: 16 (T. Thompson, Williams, Shead, Evans, Kasitati, Darlington, St. John, Savage, Farniok, Feo, Curtis, Paul, Daimler, Marrs, Alvarez, Todd)
    WR: 11 (Shepard, Neal, Woods, Franks, Smallwood, Young, Bennett, Mead, Andrews, Todd, Cavil)

Offense: 43

DT: 6 (Phillips, Wade, Russell, Peterson, Walker, Romar)
    DE: 7 (Ndulue, Dimon, Tapper, Grissom, Orso, Glenn, Favors)
    DE/LB (Spinner): 3 (Lindley, Onuoha, Ward)
    LB: 9 (Striker, Alexander, Shannon, Okorokwo, Bond, Reed, Franklin, Tay Evans, Bolton)
    DB: 13 (Sanchez, Wilson, Hayes, Johnson, Byrd, Thomas, Moore, Taylor, Brooks, Austin, Green, Windham, McQuinnie)
    K/P: 2 (Hunnicutt, Barnett)

Defense & STs: 40

Total: 83

Am I not counting right?

7. 8timechamps

I know we're in his top 6, but with so many DBs on the list, I'm not sure he will factor into the class. Of course, if he wants in, I'm sure they will take him.

8. 8timechamps

At the top of this board (recruiting), there is a 'sticky' post that has the scholarship breakdown. Take a look at that.

9. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I don't see Caleb Gastulem (LB) on either list.

10. landrun

landrun Well-Known Member

What have you heard about Nathan Starks?
    247sports says he still loves OU and is predicting he'll go to OU over UCLA by an 83% to 6% margin on their 'Crystal Ball' predictor thingy. :)

11. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

Nathan Starks has committed to UCLA already. He did so following the commitment of Mixon to OU.

12. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

Jonathan Thomas and OU have gone separate ways. I don't know who fills that vacancy but it won't be him.

13. landrun

landrun Well-Known Member

Thanks. I remember that now that you mention it. :dispirited:

14. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I;m just glad to see ONLY 2 kickers on scholarship...unlike the one year we had 5 :excitement:

15. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah but remember that time we ran all five out for a punt?
    Diabolical.

16. 8timechamps

Okay, I double checked with a couple of people to get the scoop, and you're correct.

I haven't talked to the kid, so I am only going off what I was told, but apparently grades are a huge concern for anyone/everyone recruiting Thomas, and there's a better-than-likely chance he will go the JUCO route.

Too bad, after missing on Williams, I was hoping for two more LBs. Looks like Clark is the lone remaining (serious) target at LB now. I suspect the focus will be put on DBs after that.

17. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

18. 8timechamps

I've seen Porchivina's name, but don't think the Sooners looked at him too hard.

From what I've learned, Garnett should be fine. There are a couple of academic issues, but he is on track to have everything sorted out by the fall. I think a lot of horns fan's went sour on him the minute he decommitted. They were in love with Joseph Paul too, until OU landed him...then he was just an "overweight" waste.

19. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There is just something funny with california linebackers. They tend to blossom in college. This kid has been practically begging the cal guys to recruit him. I'm just curious if he fits the bobby wagner mold

20. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Did Pasha Jackson blossom? I felt bad for him because we went pretty much with the nickel and he was basically sidelined.