1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I get the feeling that Texas has no idea who they really want at HC.

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by 8timechamps, Dec 21, 2013.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I'm not really a fan, but Tim Cowlishaw summed up my thinking pretty well in this article. He basically said that Texas' interest in current (successful) NFL coaches is a waste of time. No proven NFL coach is going to leave for a chance to be the next head coach at Texas. I can't help but think the coaching search is already a 3 ring circus, and that it's heading downhill quick. For all the time spent (by Texas fans/alumni) wanting Brown gone (and pretty much realizing that it was going to happen), it just seems like they really aren't off to a very good start. I think they should be targeting the Charlie Strong's of the world, but something tells me their list is full of the John Harbaugh's of the NFL.

We'll see, but I don't see Texas making a home run hire this time around. History tell's us that the next guy is probably going to be a short term, mediocre coach.

2. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

I think your right Bro. There's too many Chiefs in that tribe and Not enough Indians .

3. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

"Search committees" tend to be bastions of mediocrity, you are much better off tasking one person with the search and have something more like an approval committee of one or two.

4. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

racism, bedowngrading, are you saying their women can't be significant, you're not even tribe-specific. Are you picking on ALL minorities?

5. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i've been saying this all along. getting rid of Mack was a very risky move, and i don't understand OU fans wanting him to stay there.

is Muschamp still available?

6. Flagstaffsooner

Flagstaffsooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I hear Fred Akers is looking for work.

7. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Heh, Just the kinda sombitch I am .

8. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

UT needs to return to their craDLE OF GREATEST CLORY AND HIRE A COACH WITH ou ROOTS.i'M SURE gIBBS OR bLAKE COULD DO GREAT THINGS SORRY,TOO TIRED TO EDIT.

9. fadada1

fadada1 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Texas needs to get over the fact that there are other programs that have money, facilities, recruiting bases, tradition, etc... Horn fans will tell you they're the only school that has it all, and they'll get upset if you tell them otherwise. And, they're offended that anyone wouldn't want to take the job. - see Nick Saban.

They don't have to settle, but they need to be realistic.

10. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

Texas thinks its coaching spot is the best in the country, and nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, recruiting is easier in Texas than it is in other places, but you still have to recruit or else Sumlin or Stoops is gonna take your guy away from you. Mack, for all his faults as a gameday coach, is an excellent recruiter. In any case, recruiting is half the battle. You also have to be able to coach and schmooze all the boosters. Plus, at Texas, you now have the obligations that come with the LHN. I can't see a lot of people wanting to do that.

Money can buy you a lot of things, and in the end it will probably buy them a serviceable coach, but they are the most deluded fanbase in the country. They're like Jerry Jones times 1000.

11. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Yep. A couple of months ago, there was a thread on here on this exact thing. I went back and looked at some programs that were once good, then fired their HC after one or two below average years. In almost every case (maybe EVERY case), the programs went through a string of mediocre to bad coaches before finally finding a good one.

The problem is, it appears the search committee is hell bent on trying to get a big name guy, and I just don't think that's going to happen (at least not a successful NFL coach).

12. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

it's likely going to be publicly embarrassing as people turn them down. hopefully there is a George O'Leary/Mike Price story involved somewhere in the process to make it even more interesting.

13. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Peter Caroll.

14. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

He would get them a National Championship, and discharged from the NCAA at the same time.

15. ashley

ashley Well-Known Member

When you fire someone that has won as many games a Mack Brown you better have a damn good one committed beforehand. If they are searching, they may be in trouble.

16. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Lance Armstrong's sack.

17. They could wind up with the next Blake or Smellsofbourbon. I like the possibilities.

18. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

Radio has been their most successful player in recent years. he should defiinitely be hired as next Head Coach.

19. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

they should go after some young genius turk assistant head coach who has a burning desire to be a head coach. Hope they don't.

20. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

texas is a great great job...having said that, it is not near the job that many think it is