1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I formally Apologize to Blake Bell He DOES have IT

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by olevetonahill, Sep 14, 2013.

1. SoonerKnight

SoonerKnight Well-Known Member

Stoops rotated the second string. So, yeah!!!

2. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I didn't know how Bell would do today, though there was little question he'd do better than TK has done. And, it is concerning that this coaching staff saw something that made them think otherwise going into the season.

3. SoonerKnight

SoonerKnight Well-Known Member

I watched Bell's pressed and he admitted he is better in games then practice! He admitted he would rather play the game than practice. So, it is not surprising at all really! Obviously Bell thought he had it in the bag and the young guy gave him a run for his money!

4. Curly Bill

It is surprising. Last I checked they keep score in the games and that's what our record is based on, not on our practices. Unless BB was just dogging it in practice, it is a problem that we were starting a guy that was woefully not ready for the bright lights.

OUmillenium likes this.
  5. Temujin

Temujin New Member

Which makes just about everyone wonder what the coaches saw during practice. I'm glad Bell is starting and he looks to have great energy and great command of the offense...more than anyone expected.

One guess? Sam Bradford vs. Landry Jones, Heupel vs. Hybl, and now Bell vs. Knight. Landry had every bit as much talent as Sam from a physical perspective, but the problem was that he made frequent bad decisions, especially when under pressure. Hybl was, by all rights, MORE talented than Heupel physically, but Heupel was a better decision maker and leader. Of course, Hybl probably wouldn't have played had White been healthy...but just making a comparison. Anyway, maybe Bell is just a better player come game-time than Knight.

Another guess? Some of the throws that TK made were brilliant (when he wasn't overthrowing the short routes). But he just seemed nervous and indecisive. I think that plays into what we saw between Bell and Knight. My hope is that Knight's deficiencies now are just a product of his inexperience. Even though Bell hasn't done a lot of passing, he's been on the field and has had 2 full years of learning the offense. That could be the difference.

Either way, I think we're in good hands for the next 2 years, barring injury.

Curly Bill likes this.
  6. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

In other news Wake Forest lost to ULM today 19-21

7. OU_Sooners75

You sure you were a coach?

8. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm sure Knight was making all those easy throws in practice or I can't imagine why he would be named starter. It has to be that he gets too wound up in the game and doesn't do what he has done in practice. I'm sure he would have had more rushing yards than Bell in this game had he played and maybe the coaches put more weight on that.

9. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

let's not get crazy. What I was most happy about today is that he didn't make any stupid mistakes. My grandmother could shred Tulsa and he was pretty much hitting his first read all night. However, when he did have to go through his progressions, he did so and didn't make dumb moves. It is impossible to complain about his performance tonight, which is a great thing in itself, but I'll be sold if he plays that way against Texas and Poke State... and ND

10. Curly Bill

Yeah, and I actually got paid for it! ;)

Practice is important, but if given a choice I'd rather win an actual game than winning practice. But then some people care more about the process than the end result. I think Stoops somewhat leans that way.

11. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Your grandmother could have shreded ULM and WVU too. TK just isn't ready yet. BTW, why isn't your grandmother on the depth chart? Run out of eligibility?

12. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

At any rate, Bell seems to be competent, talented, a leader, a strong arm, and NOT a liability.

On with the season!

13. OU_Sooners75

So what you're saying is you would just start whom you thought that have u the best chance to win? Right?

What if u had one player out performing in practice before the season?

And I didnt know they paid pop Warner coaches! Lol

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  14. Curly Bill

Like I've said when you come on here acting like Mr. Football because you played at some Podunk JC, and you get to volunteer coach at some JH or something - I'd wager my resume on that account substantially dwarfs yours. But that being said, and most assuredly being the case, I know you have to start somewhere and if you don't have game results from either particular player than obviously you have to go on what you've seen in practice. But yeah, ultimately I've always cared a whole lot more about the results of the games, you know where they actually keep score & stuff, then I have about practice results, but hey...maybe that's just me?

15. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

lol. She's been out of eligibility since she croaked a few years back. And besides that, she was a Poke. But my point was I wasn't so impressed with what Blake did today as I was with what he didn't do (dumb throws). He does deserve kudos for throwing accurately, though, and I do think the kid has starting QB swag, which is what we need. He might end up playing like a first year starting QB, but how the team responds to his presence is more important. They respond to him.

16. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hoping for the same...but, he does look PRETTY good, and he does seem to be a leader. I'll award him a personal Heisman or Cert. of Achievement or something if he can beat the domer in 2 weeks.

17. achiro

achiro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I asked this few weeks ago but still wonder the answer. Who would have gotten more snaps last year? Bell running backup and belldozer packages or Knight running scout team? stuff?

18. One4OU

One4OU New Member

Worst mistake a coach can make:

Not using real game time play to make an evaluation. Some

19. One4OU

One4OU New Member

Worst mistake a coach can make:

Not using real game time play to make an evaluation. Some players are gamers.
    They just know how to make it happen. There is another player that needs
    more evaluation during games than practices.

20. CatfishSooner

CatfishSooner New Member

bell played a helluva game!