1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bell outshines qb competitors in Sooner scrimmage

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Mazeppa, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Mazeppa

Mazeppa Well-Known Member

2. Mazeppa

Mazeppa Well-Known Member

3. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The Yahoo story gives Thompson 151 yards passing, and Knight 86. The StorminInNorman story gives the reverse. I'm pretty sure Knight had the 151 and Thompson 86.

4. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The one reason Knight isn't the frontrunner is that he isn't consistent. He played fabulously, but fumbled the snap on the goal line.

Give him the summer, and this may be a fiercer battle for the starter job.

5. cleller

Surprised more folks aren't climbing all over this stuff. First and last look at the team for quite awhile, we might as well take advantage of it.

All three looked pretty good by the end, no great worries, anyway. Bell looks ready to get started, which was expected. Knight looks good, but needs polishing. Still, thought Knight looked like he had lots of potential as a guy that can keep a play alive, a decent arm, and some touch on the ball.

Initially, I was disappointed in Thompson. His first throws were slow and floated, a couple off target. After being reminded how long it has been since he's actually played (2009!)--added with how much better he looked at the end, I think Josh can get him squared away with time. An interesting thought might be to develop him as a hybrid guy you can bring in and hand off to, throw to, and option pass with. Could create some problems for the other D.

6. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

Bell just looks more natural. He is the man in my opinion. Thompson is the #2 and will push Bell but will not take the job IMO

7. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I posted much the same idea in another thread...Thompson has wide receiver option
    pass written all over him...reverses, double reverses...etc..

8. cleller

Will be interesting to see. If he's got talent, he needs to get on the field. These multipurpose guys have torn it up lately, and we've been victimized as much as anyone.

9. SoonerMom2

SoonerMom2 New Member

I had the same take on Blake Bell - he was much more comfortable and relaxed - seemed to have a better grasp of what was needed. I thought Thompson was too quick to scramble. I thought Trevor was hopped, excited and nervous. When he settled down he looked much better and has quite the arm. My prediction - two years for Bell; then Trevor. Wouldn't be shocked to see Thompson and Bell on the field at the same time though. You cannot beat the size ob Bell to look over the opposing defense IMHO.

Also noticed that you saw Bell and Knight together all the time with Thompson most of the time at the other end of the line until he joined them when it was time to go into play. Bell congratulated both quarterbacks but noticed most of the time it was Trevor congratulating Bell with Thompson down the line. When the final drive started Bell was sent back in out of rotation.

10. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Bell looked off the safety several times which was good to see. Had a couple of big plays off of it.

11. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

We really cannot forget just how well Bell can run too. Is he as fast and elusive as KT and Knight? Absolutely not but he is big and physical and still has some good speed for his size. The play I most liked was the redzone scramble td pass bell threw to Neal I believe. It will be nice to see a QB move from the pocket and not have to cover my eyes in shear anxiety. I will throw this comparison out there...I think Bell is like a Ben Roethlisberger. Big and physical and has the ability to really prolong a play. A big ben minus the desire to rape young women.

12. thecrimsoncrusader

thecrimsoncrusader New Member

Bell may not be elusive as Thompson or Knight, but he's as elusive as one can be at 6'6" and 250lbs. from the QB position and he has a running quality that Thompson and Knight will never have and that is power. And it will be even easier for him to run this upcoming season since teams won't know when he is going to run and when he is going to pass on the vast majority of occasions. It was relatively safe to say he was always going to run out of the Belldozer formation and the opposition knew that. That won't be the case this season with that just being one formation of many with Blake Bell as the QB.

13. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

It was Belldozer's job to lose in the first place, so it shouldn't shock or disappoint the other guys that Blake remains the frontrunner.

But, it was fun to see the other guys in action

14. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Interesting. The little group I sat with were of the opinon that Thompson was the most impressive and that it would end up Bell, then Thompson in the fall and that that was maybe unfair to Thompson.

15. badger

I dig me some QBs with the last name Thompson (I met daddy Thompson a few Red/White games ago and he autographed a ball for a friend, and I had a class with Paul Thompson my senior year), but the goalline thing... oh the goalline thing. I don't remember if he was the QB when we were about to score or the QB when we gave up the safety, but both of those made Trevor and Kendall that clear No. 2 (or 3) behind Bell.

16. KantoSooner

I think both of those were Knight (who I also liked, but who didn't seem, to me, to be as good as Thompson or Bell).

17. badger

I was on the opposite side in section 10, so I might be mistaken. I also left mid-fourth quarter to get to the bookstore before the crowd :p

18. PrideMom

PrideMom New Member

Offense is not OU's worry. Defense has been the problem for quite a while. We will not know about that until we play a true opponent. Still need punters.

19. KantoSooner

You're right there. the punting was exceptionally bad save the first one that was 50+ yards.

20. FirstandGoal

FirstandGoal New Member

LOL! Don't forget that that one was with the wind.

I think I lost count of how many times I groaned out loud and winced whenever another punt went awry...

We are really going to miss Tress Way this year.