1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bob Stoops on paying stipends: Players get plenty already

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by badger, Apr 10, 2013.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

From Sporting News:

Lots of good quotes throughout. here's one:

Definitely worth a mouse click of your time.

2. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I agree with everything he said.

3. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

As a college grad who worked two jobs and had the GI Bill (late 60's
    and early 70's), I had no student loans to pay back...no money, either.
    My daughter just finished up her BSN in nursing, after getting a Spanish
    language degree is looking at $63K plus in student loans for about seven
    years of study at two colleges, both in state. I shudder to think what would
    have been had she gone out of state.

As a big college sports fan, I thought that maybe the athletes should get a
    stipend. After reading what Stoops had to say, I'm not so sure....$200k
    college education...debt free...is a helluva deal...with only self starting efforts
    to expend to get a degree from a great university.

4. badger

If the student-athletes choose the... what we can call "Auburn route..."

or "THE Ohio State route..."

then definitely they're not getting paid, because they're not getting an education.

5. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

Unfortunately OU has this issue too. I know of 3 first hand accounts of this very same thing while i was at OU.

6. Sooner in Tampa

Sooner in Tampa SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Then that is on them...only 1% of them are going to make it in the NFL

7. I Am Right

I Am Right New Member

Good Post

8. nighttrain12

nighttrain12 Well-Known Member

What about food and water? Shouldn't they get paid for that? It's not like they have time to go work a job, their sport is their job.

9. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Trust me, a student athlete doesn't go hungry. They may be broke with very little to no cash on hand, but they do not go hungry.

10. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Agree with Bob... kids just don't see the money being spent on them though.

11. ouflak

ouflak Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

Why shouldn't the student athletes be able to market their own likenesses though? And do paid interviews, advertising and that sort of thing? I wonder what Stoops' opinion on that is?

12. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The football guys bring in LOTS AND LOTS of money to the university. I would like to see them at least get a small paycheck for their discretionary use. They work a heavy number of hours while in school, between the academic and football requirements. Bob Stoops is right, but a small paycheck would help a lot, I believe.

13. Sooner74

Sooner74 New Member

Screw athletes getting a stipend. What about workers at fortune 100 companies? Should they be paid more because the company is raking in profits? What about professors? Should they be paid more for putting certain universities on the map? Simple answer is Hell No! These students gets benefits beyond what any other university student gets. If they were so poor and broke we wouldn't see them on the news with a crack pipe in their right hand and a bong in their left. They make plenty and get creature comforts many are not afforded at college.

I for one applaud Bob for standing up for this ludicrous notion of paying players. They get paid.

14. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Glad to hear Stoops hold the line on this. We've begun a society that thinks everyone needs to get paid for anything they do, whether its slipping on a sidewalk, or being invited to take a chance at landing won of the world's highest paying jobs.

15. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

I have personally been involved with feeding OU football players. Housing them too. Trust me, they eat VERY well. They also receive the very best health/medical care, get all kinds of freebies (shirts/shoes/hats/sweats/ipods/etc.). The notion of paying them above this is ludicrous.

Also, the whole "marketing their likeness" would ruin any kind of team atmosphere/espirit de corps. You'd have some prima donna (we've already got that problem) getting all the attention while the guys who play their guts out ain't getting dick. You throw big bucks into that mix and you'd open up a can of worms that would never be controlled.

It ain't broke, don't try and fix it. Good on Bob for having the cajones to speak up about it.

16. badger

Day 2: Stoops is taking a hammering in the media. (yahoo sports link)

The issue that some seem to have is not what was said, it was who said it. Someone decided to divide his annual salary by 365 and determine how much Stoops made that day (it was a little over $12K). I didn't watch Mike&Mike, but apparently Greenie went off on Stoops cuz he's so highly paid or something, I don't know.

17. XingTheRubicon

XingTheRubicon SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Don't like the deal an FBS scholarship offers? Go work at Wendy's.

I'm getting pretty sick of hearing people who haven't accomplished ****, bitching about the few that make the money. Guess what? Bob Stoops was a broke *ss college kid too...then he worked for it.

18. XingTheRubicon

XingTheRubicon SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Here's one of the quotes from comments section...

Where do they grow people like this?

19. Bourbon St Sooner

Bourbon St Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I hate when people say that Universities are getting rich off sports. No they aren't. Only a handful of college athletic departments are self funding. Truthfully, the only people getting rich are the coaches, which is why it's easy for the media to open up on Stoops. But what's Stoops going to do? They asked a question and he gave an answer. And he's right. So suck it Greenie!

20. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

"Greenie" is the last person i care to hear from when it comes to football or any sport for that matter. Skip Bayless barely beats him. There are some on this board who are far more knowledgeable on football than greenie