1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sooner womens basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Oct 11, 2012.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

We lost to WVU 82-63
    NEXT GAME: 7 p.m. Wednesday at Kansas State. TV is FS Southwest Plus/FCS Atlantic

BOOMER!

2. badger

Sorry I've been slacking lately but to be fair, ****ty Uverse decided that I didn't get the OU-KSU game. :mad:

Today:
    4 p.m. at Norman hosting Pokette.

TV:
    FSN
    COX 722 | AT&T U-Verse 1754 | DirecTV 679

FCS Central
    COX 271 | AT&T U-Verse 648 | DirecTV 608/623/626

Radio:
    KOKC 1520 AM in Oklahoma City

This game will likely determine which of our teams gets to stay in the top 25 and which one of us has to take a week's vacation

Boomer!

3. badger

Our mens team has become the cool bandwagon to jump on lately, but my first Sooner basketball love at OU was, and still is today, our scrappy short-benched ladies team.
    OU 80, Poke 61

Don't be fooled by the score. Pokette was leading us throughout much of the first half, and we had a thin three-pt lead at the half. This was our first Poke game of the year, which means we are still going to have to try to pull off another "830LAM" victory in Stilly. Before then, I hope a few things get cleared up:

Nicole Griffin: She had 21 points, but only 5 rebounds and 2 blocks. I feel like I'm nitpicking, but it seriously pains me to see her get out-rebounded by people my size (I'm the size of one of our replacement volleyball players. GO EDEN WILLIAMS!) and even get blocked by some of them. I know she is capable of doing better on blocks and rebounds and I hope she gets there. Still, hard to complain when you lead the team in scoring.

Sharane Campbell: She had 15 points and 12 rebounds. The pride from Sherri was very evident in the postgame presser (which you can view at SS.com here, btw). Sophomore slumps are put to shame with her accomplishments this season. Now... can she do even more? I say yes. And she will need to be one of the players who step up when another has a slump

Joanna "Three Foul" McFarland: "You know Jo's going to get 15. How awesome is that? To have a player on your team where you can go, 'I know she's going to get 15 boards.' What? I haven't felt like that since Courtney Paris was here. So that's a luxury. I'm not taking that for granted." -- Sherri Coale in postgame. As for me, I'd say that she needs to live up to that now. She needs to get the rebounds that others aren't, because that is the expectation now. Go Jo!

Ellen Burger: 17 points on 3 for 7 three shooting, 6 for 12 from the floor and 2 for 2 free throws. but five turnovers. I would challenger Aaryn to get more assists or more steals than turnovers without the silly fouls that usually come with her ball thief antics. I would also challenge her to be the one the team can rely on to hit that big moment three. She's usually good for that :)

Sherri?

Speaking of Sherri, I understand that there was a request on Lost Ogle for a bikini photo, so let me tell you a Sherri Coale bikini story. We were in Tempe, Ariz. for the NCAAs (Satanford would once again end our season, because they're pretentious ****wads, the lot of them) and they put the cheer, band and mascot in the same luxury awesome hotel that the team is staying in. So, we don't play games everyday, so we get to hang out at the pool a lot like the team, and Sherri (this being mid-March in Arizona) was tanning by the pool... and the guys in the pep band couldn't stop staring at her. I think she gets sick of this staring so she eventually just leaves. Or she has anti-Stanford gameplan to design. I don't know, but I suspect it was all of the staring.

I can't believe I just shared a Sherri Coale bikini story with you all. Would you like to know when the next game is instead?

Next game: 7 p.m. Thursday hosting those d@mn Cyclones. You know, the ones that beat us earlier this season in Ames. Jerks. TV is FSN.

Boomer!

4. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Do you have pictures? The girl's are doing great and really showing some mental toughness. I think it will be a good springboard for next year.

5. badger

No. And I would probably ban myself if I ever shared such photos on the Internet. I don't think anyone else was brave enough to take any (they were too busy staring).

I think that the adversity they're facing now will serve them well come NCAA and Big 12 tourney time. Some days I feel like we can beat Baylor. Other days I want to fetal position in a corner and bemoan our bad injury luck.

6. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Crack is a hell of a drug.

7. badger

Sicko, you may recall that we kept the game competitive in Waco during the first half before our shooting fell off and other factors. Don't think that we can't keep up with you if we shoot lights out, which we are capable of.

It's how our men beat your men in Waco.

8. badger

Well, this is the type of run that you had to be a uber fan or extremely naive to think that our injured, depleted roster could avoid, especially deep in the conference season. But at least we have these pink shirts and uniforms???
    [​IMG]
    We have not lost two in a row all season until now.
    72-68 and 81-71 are not our worst losses to date, but they are definitely among the most discouraging, as we played terri-bad in both games (the Iowa State loss at home on Thursday, the Kansas loss on the road Sunday). The one yesterday got so bad that I flipped to ESPN's broadcast of bowling... did you know that Jerome Bettis and Terrell Owens both own bowling teams?

I hope you all have that "baby if you give it to me, I'll give it to you" song echoing in your heads now. Bowling on ESPN, people. THAT is how bad that game was, and how bad the Thursday game was!!!!

Reasons for optimism:

Fouling McFarland is still rebounding well: I do not look forward to the day when I don't have Joanna's game foul stat to kick around anymore, since it's kind of been the joke since her freshman year that she'd get in foul trouble and then get yanked. But regardless, she has been a reliable rebounder, win or lose.

Nicole Griffin is starting to not just look like a tall toothpick out there: Scoring???? Some rebounds??? Is she actually not just our tall player after all but a solid contributor? Someone give her coach a raise and give her a big hug!!!!

Ellen Burger will score: I don't care to look up whether this statement is always true or not, but in general, she is usually one of our leading scorer, if not our leading scorer and I don't think has ever fallen out of double digits any games this season.

Sherri, how frustrating is it to lose at home while wearing pink?

For those of you that are worried that I'm abandoning the team in favor of our trendy men's team, please be assured that as a fan since our first Final Four appearance when we dominated the Big 12 (and tourney), had three first round draft picks and were beating our opponents by severe double digits, I am not a fairweather fan! I just fit the definition of one, heh.

Next game: Hosting KSU 7 p.m. Wednesday. TV is FS Oklahoma Plus/FCS Central, unless you are U-verse like me, in which case they will probably block the game out. ****ers.

Boom boom boomer

9. Soonerfan88

Soonerfan88 Well-Known Member

I thought this was a better ISU postgame quote by Sherri:
    Somehow I don't think Sherri, staff, or players suddenly forgot the rules of the game so I'm very curious why all those calls were made.

10. MsProudSooner

MsProudSooner New Member

If you look at the box score, we had better stats in every single category - except free throws. Iowa State lost to WVU at home yesterday. They shot 29 free throws, making 23. WVU shot, 20, making only 10. In Norman, Iowa State was 27 of 34. We were 12 of 14. They got a better home court advantage from the officials in Norman than they did at home.

11. badger

My theory: We were both wearing pink and the refs were confused which team was home and thus, didn't know who should get the calls... or they were blinded by the pink.

NO MORE PINK! BAN PINK.

12. badger

So apparently we have 700 program wins now! Sweeeet.
    72-57

One of the cool features of having an increased media emphasis on Sooner sports other than football is that you're seeing more postgame and highlights on SS.com via their little Sooner TV thingie. You can check out that stuff on the game recap via SS.com here.

As the refs of the mens game and the baby baj preoccupied me last night along with our crazy area weather (****ing hail! don't you DARE wake that sleeping baby!!!!) so I admit that I wasn't fully paying attention to our game last night. So, let's skip right to some key stats:

Joanna "Double Double" McFarland: All right Jo, so long as you continue to minimize your fouls (only 2) and maximize your double (11 rebounds) doubles (15 points), you get a new nickname. However, should the fouls either go up or double-doubles disappear, I'm reverting back to what I've (endearingly) called you since your froshie near-foul-out days.

Nicole "Is Taller Than Most Opponents" Griffin: She used her height to her advantage to get 14 pts. Now if only she'd use it to get a rebounding (3????) or blocking (1???) advantage.

Ellen Burger: Vegas continues to score more than everyone else (18) while getting the assists (5) over the turnovers (3). Life is good. Maybe someday, announcers will resolve to never mispronounce her name.

6 of 16, or 8 of 34: I am very pleased with this stat, because there have definitely been games when we've been the 34-three shooters instead of the 16-three shooters. If the shot isn't there, find ones that are. We did, kind of...

44.4 percent versus 52.5 percent: Which one of those is our free throw percentage and which one is our field goal percentage? Answer: It doesn't matter which one is the free throw percentage, because it should NEVER be that low!!!!! Then again, we only shot 9 total...

Sherri?
    I just thought her delivery on this one was funny because she was surrounded by several of her players. Here's a different one...
    And in honor of her new nickname, Joanna:
    Next game: 2 p.m. Saturday at Poke (I will be able to dump this avatar hopefully). TV is FS Oklahoma.

Boom- shakalaka -er!

13. badger

After watching Saturday's game (until I couldn't take it anymore), I have given up any and all optimism for Monday's home matchup with Baylor:
    [​IMG]

But, that doesn't mean I cannot try to be optimistic.

If you choose to vBet on vBookie in OU's favor and we actually pull out the upset of a lifetime, I will vPayout 500 to 1. If you are an asshat and choose the easy option, I will vPayout 1 to 500, which I think roughly translates to a 0.2 percent return.

So, badger is ready for her torture session.
    [youtube]FRFkCIQAjBU[/youtube]
    And if you are too, you can find more info on SS.com here. Then, tune in at...

6 p.m. tonight on ESPN2
    And don't get too cocky, Baylor lurkers. We totally pwn3d you in mens basketball this year and made Scott Drew hit your Waco floor:
    [​IMG]

Bawwwwwwwwwww... and there's football too.

PS: I fully intend to make your fanbase pay in advance of tonight's game. To the meltdown board!!!!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  14. MsProudSooner

MsProudSooner New Member

Considering the weather, there may not be anyone there but the announcers, the referees and the teams.

15. badger

Maybe they can call it a draw if the Baylor team can't make it into town? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

16. badger

I bet you all wanna hear some optimism. Well, this guy said it pretty well:

We lost by 22.
    Don't let me be misunderstood - we wanted to beat Baylor and we didn't. But, we actually got a highlight on Sportscenter this morning (under a Britney Griner tagline but of course) and we actually p!ssed them off a bit before Griner Griner Griner Griner Griner.

More reasons for optimism:

Postgame presser reporter: You get a pretty good stretch off here...
    Sherri: (singing) Hal-le-lu-jah.

We are off until Saturday when we face KU at home. This is a very winable game and hopefully, some time off will help us get another W. I'd sure hate to go on a KU men-like (tee hee) three-game losing streak.

Technically a freshman: Nicole Kornett is showing rebounding ability, grabbing 6 in 24 minutes yesterday off the bench.

Super sophomore Sharane: Also getting 6 rebounds, Sharane added 14 pts and 3 steals. Alas, five turnovers too.

Nicole "might have some rebounding in her after all" Griffin: Also amassing 6 rebounds (wtf...) with 12 pts too was stringbean toothpick 6-6 Nicole.

"Foul Foul" McFarland: She had an uncharacteristic night off from double-doubling (so bad to your old nickname, heh heh) but also added... wait for it... SIX ****ing REBOUNDS. I fully expect her to be back to double-doubling come Saturday.

Ellen Burger: Aaryn once again can be relied on to be our primary scorer, having 19 pts.

I am just going to skip past the fact that we had 19 turnovers and go straight to Sherri:

She's a stupid b!tch! If there ever was a b!tch she's a b!tch to all the boys and girls!

Seriously... just reading that postgame makes me imagine fingernails down a chalkboard... and she was Bieber hairing last night too so **** Baylor once again.

Next game: 7 p.m. Saturday hosting KU. TV is FS Oklahoma/FCS Pacific

Also: Kudos to Whitney Hand to being named to the...um... I'll just copy/paste: "Inaugural Allstate WBCA Division I Good Works Team, announced by the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Tuesday." Because I know there's mostly football fans here, previous Good Works selections include Jacob Gutierrez (2006), Nic Harris (2007), Gerald McCoy (2008) and Quinton Carter (2010). Yay! Go us.

I searched... none from Baylor. :p

Boomer Sooner anyways... :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  17. badger

I'll recap Saturday's game later, but I must say that this senior game was kind of bittersweet, because this whole "start a womens basketball thread so that we don't interfere with the mens team" idea started with one of our departing seniors. Which one? It's not Mrs. Landry, so I think you realize who it must be.

So, for four straight seasons on the Internet, since she didn't ever get a season-ending injury and medical redshirt unlike Whitney Hand and others, I have been Internet-taunting this poor girl, giving her nicknames like "Four Foul" or "Five Foul" or even being a borderline semi-bad fan by being less than impressed when she wasn't getting the double-doubles that she is now.

Sadly, that first blog season turned out to be our last little powerhouse run before a lot of players graduated, got injured or BaylorBaylorBaylor. But, through it all, the player formerly known as "Four Foul" has been there improving, getting more minutes, and turning into the team leader we needed this year when Whitney went down (again).

So, it was very sad to see a reminder that I won't have poor "Double-Double" to cheer on and Internet-kick around anymore. But, as our constant academic superstar, I am sure that she going on to much greater things than even Sooner basketball, which is pretty great to begin with.

Goodbye and good luck, Joanna McFarland. Please kick Baylor's arse on your way out this postseason :)

18. NMSooner'80

NMSooner'80 Member

[​IMG]

I thought this was a great shot of Whitney and Landry from about 24 hours ago, on the DOK site. Hope they don't mind my borrowing it.

19. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Obsession is duly noted and I'm not talking about your obsession with McFarland.

20. badger

I've got a brilliant idea -- why don't one of us start a BAYLOR womens basketball thread here and we see how well that goes over. Here's a hint: Everyone will love it if I take it on and everyone will hate if you do. :p