1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defensive Tackle Recruits (updated: 2/2/13)

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by 8timechamps, Oct 25, 2012.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Re: Defensive Tackle Recruits

Added Keith Bryant to the list.

2. 8timechamps

Charles Walker is a Sooner.

3. lexsooner

lexsooner Well-Known Member

Good news. Did he suddenly pick up a star too with the recruiting service? If so, it reminds me of our discussion about recruiting services a few weeks ago.

4. 8timechamps

LOL, could be.

My personal favorite was Cody Thomas. Back in the early spring, when ESPN released their "Top 300" list, he was nowhere to be found. The day after he got an OU offer, he made his debut at 181. So, basically overnight, he went from unknown to the 181st best player in the country. OUTSTANDING!

5. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Our recent 4-star recruits haven't exactly distinguised themselves, maybe a lower ranked guy will.

6. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Curly why do u follow OU football when you are so disgruntled or disgusted by it?

7. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Because I've been a lifetime fan doesn't mean I can't be less than thrilled by the current situation. Was this a real question, because if so it wasn't well thought out, or were you just trying to stir stuff up?

8. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

ok you being a former lineman..right?

I'm with Curly a little on this one...tell me why I should/shouldn't get excited about OU recruiting guys against schools like New Mexico, Houston, etc? Baylor is just now showing INTEREST not even an offer for this kid. Not saying he sucks or not worth the offer, I know all the 2/3 star success stories we've had. BUT with our recent busts in the big bowls (sorry uconn, iowa even stanford without luck don't count) this has to show OU is not getting the top talent and hasn't for awhile.

I just can't get excited about a kid that wasn't recruited by other big boys than OU....not til he starts playing. * I don't too excited about recruiting anyways.

yes coaching is big, but sometimes natural talent just is the "it" factor...ya can't make chicken salad out of chicken $hit.

Curly Bill likes this.
  9. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

It's hard to understand how we have come to the point where we are recruiting against mid-major programs for talent. I understand that Rivals' ratings are no guarantee of success but when you get down to recruiting 2 star guys you are most likely going to have many, many fails for every Jason Pierre-Paul. Our recruiting has a feel of desperation about it.

10. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It wasn't really all that long ago that there wasn't a star system for recruiting. This system is so vastly overrated it's ridiculous, and the fact that some people even swear by it is even more ridiculous. The fact that it allowed coaches to get lazy and just recruit based on it is even sillier. Basically technology has turned an obsession by some who are interested in scouting into a multimillion dollar business and have had a great deal of hits and misses in the process of it. People say that they need a Kelly Gregg type at OU. Hell, I'd wager that Kelly would have been a 3 star recruit at best by today's standards. Plenty of players have been "ranked" low and turned out to be far better than advertised. The percentages favor the players with "more stars" simply because there are fewer of them in the overall pool of players.

It wasn't that long ago that many were mocking the recruiting services and their star ratings by making jokes that schools A, B, and C (in this case USC, ND, and Miami) were interested in a kid, so the kid magically went from being 2 stars to being 4 stars.

11. 8timechamps

While I do think the Sooners missed out on some bigger name DTs this year, competing for talent against lower level programs is absolutely nothing new. Think about how many high school kids play football in America. Unless you are one of around 300 players that are known before their junior season, then you (typically a coach or parent) have to get the attention of big programs.

Take Charles Walker as an example, I am not bothered at all that OU was the biggest program to offer, because Walker has camped at OU while in high school. The staff knows this kid, he wasn't a shot in the dark. He may not have been the #1 target on their board, but he was up there somewhere. It doesn't matter that OU was the biggest school to offer, you could make a long list of really good players that were in the same position. The bottom line is that there are far more players than there are schools with a need at their position from year to year.

12. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

8time,
    yeah I agree...and obviously my opinion means absolutely jack lol. Obviously Shipp liked him and thought he could help. He has the size, is he someone you think will help next yr?

I do appreciate your non-smarta$$ responses, unlike some folks here.
    THanks

13. lexsooner

lexsooner Well-Known Member

I second that about 8Time. It is so refreshing to have a board moderator who is knowledgeable and respectful to all posters. I'm glad at least one moderator on SF is a secure individual.

8timechamps likes this.
  14. OkieThunderLion

OkieThunderLion New Member

Q Russell had eligibility issues. But still supposed to be here by summer.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  15. 8timechamps

Re: Defensive Tackle Recruits (updated: 1/16/13)

The Sooners offered Matthew Romar (6' 3", 265 lbs). Seems thin, so I'm guessing he'll redshirt. Who knows.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  16. Widescreen

Widescreen SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Thin? At 2265 lbs? You're being ironic, right?

;)

17. 8timechamps

Awesome!

18. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I can see it now,OU unveils their 1-5-5 defensive scheme.At 2265 our d- line should be impregnable up the middle.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    8timechamps likes this.
  19. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hell, in American Samoa, they'd call him 'Slim'.

20. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The problem is if you go back and look through our commitment lists we have a much higher success rate with low rated guys than we do higher rated guys. There is an abundance of great college talent out there but you have to dig for it. Up until 2 years ago, Boise State has only had never had higher than a 3 star recruit in their history.