1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone explain to me why we now have less talent than we did in '99?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by hvhurricane, Jan 5, 2013.

1. hvhurricane

hvhurricane New Member

Someone is not doing their jobs to their fullest extent.

2. OkieThunderLion

OkieThunderLion New Member

We don't have less talent. We have more.

But we had a huge schematic advantage in the early Stoops years. That is completely gone.

Seamus likes this.
  3. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We are recruiting more poorly each passing year. These games where we look like a high school team have put a big hurt on recruiting, I'm afraid.

4. SOONER44EVER

SOONER44EVER SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We have more talent.................we just play like we have less talent.

5. OkieThunderLion

OkieThunderLion New Member

Correct.

We'll put significantly more guys in the NFL than what we did with the '99-'00 teams.

6. SOONER44EVER

SOONER44EVER SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We have less talent at the coaching positions.............head coach included.

7. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

On offense, sure we had a schematic advantage. Defense, however, was all effort and heart. Concentration and willingness to play through pain.

God love him, I was really disappointed with Jefferson when he gave up on that second touchdown. He had gotten dinged up in the Olay before and I guess just didn't think the effort was worth the pain. I can understand the reasoning, but it doesn't mean I like it.

8. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

Gave up? I would say that he couldn't make the play. That was ****ing obvious. His mistake was not going down after the previous play to stall the drive while we got someone healthy into his spot. Willingness to play through pain? Seriously? You have no idea what his pain was.

CatfishSooner likes this.
  9. OUmillenium

OUmillenium New Member

More athletic players doesnt mean better players. I think our coaches are missing on local talent who understand the game.

10. canes4ever

canes4ever New Member

The Big 12 is less attractive to HS recruits right now. I see high rated recruits across the country decommit every day. The SEC is popular. HS prospects are planning NFL careers and want all the tv, print a powerhouse can provide. Your QB is one dimensional in a two dimensional world ie Johnny Football, RGIII, etc. In your case alot of the problem is in the recruiting. OU will be back stronger.

Piware likes this.
  11. jkjsooner

jkjsooner New Member

Wake me up when those two dimensional QBs win a Super Bowl. Last I checked it's always a Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, or Roethlisberger.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have an RG3 but at the highest level the most successful are still traditional QBs.

12. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Landry compared to those guys? Lol

13. SoonerLaw09

SoonerLaw09 New Member

It was blindingly obvious that we gave up on D in the second half. By the time aggy scored their first TD in the 2nd half, the D had had it chasing after Manziel. They were mentally beat. So were the coaches. Sometimes, when the fight is lost, ya just throw in the towel.

I do wonder why we couldn't gameplan better when we had a whole season of film on them and a month to get ready. I dunno, maybe Manziel (I refuse to call him that other nickname) is just that good. We'll see next season if he's a flash in the pan or not. I'll say this much though. We have not been able to effectively handle a run-pass QB in many years. Since the 80s, maybe.

And don't forget, this isn't the first time we had no answer for a guy. I'm not even talking about RGIII or Tebow. I'm talking about Peter Gardere.

14. Flagstaffsooner

Flagstaffsooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Stoops has caught MBS.

Mack Brown Syndrome. It is incurable, I noticed him clapping last night.

Curly Bill likes this.
  15. agoo758

agoo758 New Member

Aaron Rogers is definitely not a one dimensional qb, and the best in the NFL is beginning to move from immoble pocket passers, to pocket passers who can run when need be (RG3, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, etc.)

16. Mac94

Mac94 New Member

Agree that there is more talent ... disagree on the scheme. Whats missing is a fire ... attitude ... chip on the sholders that those early Stoops teams played with.

17. MI Sooner

MI Sooner New Member

I was really disappointed our retarded coaches let the guy who had been spying the opposing QB stay in the game when he couldn't run.

18. Sabanball

Sabanball Well-Known Member

I also think a bit of the problem is recruiting. More and more schools are now going into Texas and poaching players. The talent pie is now being divided up into smaller and smaller pieces. Stoops needs to recruit more nationally than he is. JMO

19. CatfishSooner

CatfishSooner New Member

He already is...go back to you ****in bama board jack ***

20. SoonerMachine

SoonerMachine Member

Agreed, from the head coach to the 3rd string...