1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bowl Situation

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Soonerwake, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Soonerwake

Soonerwake New Member

With a win next Saturday, it is looking good for an at-large BCS berth. However, I just heard that there may be a spoiler by the name of Kent State lurking in the shadows. Any thoughts??

2. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Pokes Fans have it figured out today....

[​IMG]

3. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

Boise might be more of an issue

4. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm sure the sugar bowl committee would be thrilled if they were forced to take Kent State over OU. Stuff like that happens with the BCS rules though. I'll just be thrilled if we can beat TCU and finish 10-2 and see where the bowl thing takes us.

5. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

ok, i hadn't seen the BCS from today. we are boned without a loss by KState

no ranked teams in the Big East???

even if Kent State loses, looks like it's Boise or Northern Illinios

6. JiminyChristmas

JiminyChristmas New Member

All the more reason the Big East should be dropped as an AQ conference. It really is time.

7. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

We got hit hard for the K-State loss. We got zero love after that by losing to ND at Home and then when K-State lost to Baylor....we were lucky not to have fallen with them in the polls. Nobody thinks we are a 4th Quarter Team. Given the last two weeks...I think we have a few heads looking our way but you are absolutely right...we need K-State to get beat by the whorns and we need to beat TCU like a drum.

8. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

it has nothing to do with our ranking, it's the rules of the non-AQ conference champs. there are just so many slots, and Oregon will get one of them

9. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I'm just saying...to win the Big XII is our only hope of getting one of the slots and playing a one loss Team under my scenario.

Given the way our Defense is playing...I'm not sure we should play a tough one loss Team in a Major Bowl. However...the Defense did wake up in the 4th quarter last night. Maybe they are working things out a bit and if the Offense can keep up the pace of these awesome Total Offensive Stats...maybe the Defense has what it takes to bring us Home another nice Trophy.

10. oumom2many

oumom2many New Member

Truth. Too many 2 loss teams. :grumpy:

11. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Tamu, Lsu, loser of Bama-Georgia get left out of BCS because only two can go from a conference.

We don't deserve it anyways.

12. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If we don't get to go to the Rose Bowl, IDRGAS where we end up. Just so we beat whoever it is, and get a bunch more top quality recruits in Feb.

13. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Some are speculating we could play phlorida and have a re-match of 2008.

14. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Also Ohio State.

Your opinion that we don't deserve it is your opinion but I think we do. ND nor K-State blew us out. With a win this weekend on the road to TCU...I think we have as decent a shot as anyone else. The Big XII has shown it can compete and the Teams that though they would walk into this Conference and change things....they were wrong about that.

Our Players played their a$$es off last night. You really had to be there to see the look on their faces. They weren't going to let aggie walk out of there with a win. It was amazing. I'm thinking they played the same way in West Virginia too. TCU better be ready to play on Saturday as this bunch doesn't give up.

15. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I've heard/seen that one too. We could do worse, but we had better beat them somehow.

16. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So what's the exact rule? If a big-6 champion is not ranked, and a none-AQ is ranked in the top 16, that AQ gets an auto BCS bid?

17. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah, I highly doubt Kent State gets in the top 12 in the BCS before next week.

Top 12 is automatic for a mid major.

-The winner of Bama and Georgia plays Notre Dame in the bcs titl game. The loser is likely out of the BCS between uga and bama is likely out.

-The winner of the pac 12 ccg will be in rose vs. The big 10. The loswes of both ccgs are out of the bcs picture.

-Fiesta Bowl is likely Oregon vs. KSU or OU. KSU if they beat Texas. OU if Texas beats KSU.

-Orange Bowl will be the ACC and Big East champions. (Likely Florida State and Lousiville)

-Sugar Bowl will likely be Florida vs the #2 Big 12 team unless the #2 Big 12 team loses their final regular season game. Then this spot is like belonging to Clemson, the #2 Big 10, the #2 Big East, or even Kent State.

Kent State doesn't make a BCS bowl unless the Sugar is completely out of options.

18. sendbaht

sendbaht Well-Known Member

19. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Updated: November 20, 2012, 4:07 PM ET

The 11 Bowl Championship Series (BCS) conferences and four bowls today announced the teams that remain under consideration to participate in the five games that comprise the BCS.
    The teams were identified during a teleconference among the 11 Football Bowl Subdivision conference commissioners, the Notre Dame athletics director, and representatives from the Discover Orange Bowl, Allstate Sugar Bowl, Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and the Rose Bowl Game presented by VIZIO. The No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the final BCS Standings will meet in the Discover BCS National Championship Game January 7 in South Florida.
    The champions of the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern conferences automatically qualify for a BCS game. In addition, the highest-ranked conference champion from among Conference USA, the Mid-American, Mountain West, Sun Belt and Western Athletic Conferences earns automatic qualification to one of the BCS games if that champion is ranked No. 12 or better in the final BCS Standings, or No. 16 or better if it is ranked higher than any champion from the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 or Southeastern conferences. Notre Dame qualifies automatically if it is ranked No. 8 or better.
    At-large berths also will be available. The bowls will fill those berths from teams ranked in the top 14 of the final BCS Standings. No conference may place more than two teams in the BCS games, unless the conference has two teams in the National Championship Game, and neither team is its champion.
    The final BCS Standings will be compiled Sunday, December 2. The BCS bowl pairings will be announced at 8:30 p.m. Eastern time that day, on ESPN television.
    The champions from the six conferences which receive automatic spots in the BCS games have not been determined. The following is a list of teams still contending for their conferences' automatic berths:

• ACC: Florida State, Georgia Tech
    • Big East: Louisville, Rutgers
    • Big Ten: Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin
    • Big 12: Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas
    • Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, UCLA
    • SEC: Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M
    In addition to those teams, the pool of teams remaining under consideration also includes (in alphabetical order): Boise State, Clemson, Florida, Kent State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Oregon State and South Carolina.
    Following is the schedule of the BCS games. All games will be televised on ESPN.

• January 1 -- Rose Bowl Presented by VIZIO
    • January 1 -- Discover Orange Bowl
    • January 2 -- Allstate Sugar Bowl
    • January 3 -- Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
    • January 7 -- Discover BCS National Championship Game

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=8657097

20. MyT Oklahoma

MyT Oklahoma New Member

Ditto. After all it is what it is.