1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DeSoto v. Jenks + Trinity v. Union

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by PLaw, Sep 9, 2012.

1. PLaw

PLaw Well-Known Member

Man, I'm suprised these matchups were not more highly publicized. Trinity hosted this first-time series at Bedford's old Pennington Field. Games of this magnitude should have been at Cowboys Stadium.

Desoto 46
    Jenks 27

Trinity 21
    Union 18

Next year, it will be Trinity / Jenks and Desoto / Union. And, as long as it doesn't interfere with the SOONERS, then I will darn sure be there.

Boomer

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. CowboyMRW

CowboyMRW Wrestling is OSU

I'm glad you posted the scores. I was asking some friends in Tulsa all weekend but no one could tell me

3. PLaw

PLaw Well-Known Member

4. NorthernIowaSooner

NorthernIowaSooner New Member

Union did get to do a walk through practice at Cowboy stadium. Pretty cool for those kids.

5. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

Because it's necessary to play teams out of state in order to win the state championship, I suppose.

6. pb4ou

pb4ou Moderator

Pennington Field is just right down the street where I live. Unfortunately, I didn't go to the game because it was on at the same time as the Sooners.

7. Fraggle145

Fraggle145 Drunky Town Limnologist

Someone should think about when the games are scheduled... Probably isnt that great for Union or Jenks to have them the week directly after their game against each other.

8. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

Or... how about not at all? Seriously... I don't see the point in out-of-state games at all unless you're actually playing for some kind of National Championship.

9. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Screw Jerry World.

Tulsa needs to build Tulsa University and the surrounding Metro Schools a place that holds 60-80,000 fans so they can attract more outdoor sporting events and Championships. If Shreveport can pull off a Bowl Game like they have for years....Tulsa should be able to build a nice outdoor neutral field rather than having to even think about Dallas or Kansas City. Same for OKC.

10. prrriiide

prrriiide New Member

11. OUTrumpet

OUTrumpet New Member

Sorry about your Jenks Trojans. :p

SoonerDood likes this.
  12. starclassic tama

starclassic tama New Member

because it's cool to see powerhouse programs against one another? i don't really see much of a downside to these games

13. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I think the out of state games are a bastardization of what high school sports are supposed to be about...but that horse left the barn a long time ago anyway.

14. PLaw

PLaw Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you. I saw Miami Northwest play Southlake Carroll at SMU several years ago. Great game, great atmosphere.

Boomer

15. OUTrumpet

OUTrumpet New Member

I can't tell you how excited the students are to play in a big game against a team that many would never have the opportunity to play against. They are excited to see how they stack up nationally. It's meant to give the students an experience (such as Jenks being able to do their walk-through in an NFL stadium) that they normally wouldn't have. Every out of state game I've been a part of has had a great atmosphere. The kids tend to step up their game a bit against someone they don't know either.

16. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I'm sure all of that is true, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend we're doing it for the kids. It can be portrayed as such, we're giving them an experience they otherwise wouldn't have had, etc... What we're beginning to see is we're turning our high schools into mini-colleges, and in the athtletic arenas into mini-sports machines. Unless I've missed something somewhere the opportunity to see how they "stack up nationally" is not what the high school sports experience is supposed to be about - that's more a media-driven concept. Oh well, like I said: the horse left the barn a long time ago anyway.

17. yankee

yankee New Member

Both Okie high schools losing to Texas high schools...just the way it should be.

18. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I agree but like you said....it is way to late to change it all unless the Oklahoma Teams start winning every year. Then the fexas teams are sure to get tired of it all and the Legislature there will probably pass a law making such events illegal unless they are guaranteed a Recruiting Championship Trophy or a Trophy that says we cheated.

19. Tulsa_Fireman

Tulsa_Fireman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

As much as I'd love to see it filled on a Saturday in Tulsa, who's gonna fill it?

TU would put 10K in it if they were lucky. Jenks/Union, 20K maybe? A big fat maybe? So essentially you'd build a 60-80K stadium for the bowl game you'd HOPE to get that'd be two mid majors from halfway across the country with questionably traveling fanbases.

Hate to be the poop in the punchbowl, but I'd rather see more Skelly renovations/upgrades than a giant empty barn approaching the size of Owen Field.

20. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm very much in favor of the concept. How many times do Oklahoma high schools get coverage in the Dallas Morning News? The message that I'm getting out of it and I hope the students do too is that Oklahoma kids can compete whether in academics or in sports. We can't afford to out-Texas Texas in building multi-million dollar high school sports stadiums and complexes and raising ad valorem taxes sky high so that our kids get the best of the best. In this case, the monster has indeed left the barn. I like the underdog in this story, though. Keep the series and competitive challenge. That's how we get better.