1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hunger Games movie

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by ouwasp, Mar 23, 2012.

1. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Lincoln quit wearing Hoodies after that.

2. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Well, they are the symbol of his people.

3. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Heh.

4. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Why didn't they just use paintball guns?

5. SicEmBaylor

I've given some thought to what participating in the Hunger Games would actually be like. Not that I want to hack teenagers to death, but a part of me really wants to know how I'd measure up in that arena.

I'd probably adopt a defensive game plan. Grab whatever I could on the periphery of the cornucopia and then head to the woods....find a position that's easily defended and then booby trap all of the approaches and just wait it out. I think if I did that then I might actually last a few days, but I can't see myself ever coming close to winning. I'd just flat out die. Not even sure what weapons would be best for me, but I'm leaning toward some sort of shortsword, hatchet, tomahawk, etc. etc.

6. SoonerAtKU

SoonerAtKU New Member

I think the wife is going to buy these on her kindle and I'll probably read them when she's done. She's still finishing off the Girl Who series, though. It may be a while.

7. Viking Kitten

Viking Kitten SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If I were you, I'd just plan on telling them some of your girl/car/Zima stories and watch them die laughing. :D

8timechamps likes this.
  8. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I know the genesis of the title and main character, though I would term this movie a send up rather than a remake . . .

9. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

If you haven't ever won at paintball, I wouldn't start. Volunteering as tribute in the Hunger Games. Although you looking like you are 17 does maybe give you some advantage. The thing for me is I wouldn't surround myself with traps and hem myself in some Alamo situation. I would create a few gauntlets that allowed me easy escape but would slow down the Hunters. I might use a dead body with my clothes on as bait in an Alamo setting maybe. Always be able to move to water and food.

Also go watch the hunted with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro before offering yourself as tribute.

[​IMG]

10. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm not so sure I'd want to form an alliance with other tributes, and then take a nap.

Afraid I'd wake up dead.

11. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

That was one of those moments when I scratched my head. If it's a fight to the death, I'm not trusting anyone.

12. Jacie

Ever watch Survivor? Contestants make alliances throughout the competition, all the while knowing that at some point they will have to stab the other person in the back . . . preferably before they do it to you. It is part of the strategy of the game. To not do so invites early elimination in a game of last man standing.

13. Jacie

Who's to say his Alamo strategy wouldn't work in the Hunger Game where it is every man/woman for themselves? The only reason the real Alamo fell is because Santa Anna did not mind using his 20-to-1 advantage of infantrymen as cannon fodder. And the only reason he could get away with doing so is because his men were motivated to run towards 185 guns rather than face the lances of their own cavalry.

14. SicEmBaylor

We'll call that 'Plan B.' :D

I more than hold my own in paintball, but that's not all that applicable since the only ranged weapon in the Hunger Games is the bow and arrow. I think the little girl had a slingshot, but it was never mentioned as actually being used. Here's a video of me getting caught behind the allied lines at D-Day a few years ago. The action starts around the 4:00ish mark. :D
    [video=youtube;DG7F7GX9h6E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG7F7GX9h6E[/video]

Well, having a good avenue of retreat is probably a good idea. At first I thought a good strategy would be to hold up against the wall of a cliff or something of that nature which would give me one less direction to worry about, but the tradeoff there of course is that my back is literally against the wall.
    Heh, exactly. The trick would be to stick with the alliance as long as possible and then turning on them at a weak moment...such as when they're asleep. My guess though is that there are always two people 'on watch' to mitigate that possibility.
    At some point, toward the end, I'd probably have to sally forth from my protected area. It'd be almost impossible for me to win a 1-1 melee battle so I'd have to rely on a ranged weapon (which I've almost never used) or an 'ambush' strategy. I think I'd go with the 'ambush strategy' which has actually served me fairly well on countless occasions in paintball. The trick would be to blend in well, stay still, and wait for the moment to strike.

Successfully employing those strategies is the only way I'd have even a remote chance of winning.

15. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

SicEm tube steak anyone?

16. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Ummm...they set up an Alamo with all the supplies as a trap and Katniss blew them to smithereens.

17. SicEmBaylor

That only worked because they remade the landmines, and they were "inviting" an attack. I would neither have landmines nor would I be "inviting" attack by making my holdup obvious. I'd rather them "stumble" into my area than invite them to attack it directly.

18. ouwasp

ouwasp New Member

I think the powers-that-be in The Hunger Games universe would probably use the flame feature to force Sic Em out of his hidey-hole to a gloriously broadcast death... a savage one that would leave all viewers wincing in awe...

19. SicEmBaylor

Heh, I almost forgot about that. I think I'd be fine so long as other people are dying. They only broke that **** out when things started slowing down for a long period of time.

20. Jacie

We were talking about what SicEm would do, though he later relented and decided he would have to abandon a protected position. It was a sound idea till as shown in the paintball video, he was overcome by superior numbers.