1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OU womens basketball chatter

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Looks like the gals were watching how Lon's troops defended ISU in Norman. The Lady 'Clones bombed us silly today from 3 land.

2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I got to see part of both games and that was about the downfall, wasn't it?

Sherri's hug and smile at the end of the game was very telling. We would have still won the game had Iowa State clanked a few more of those final minute free throws, because we were scoring on each of our final possessions, then fouling. All we needed was for Iowa State to open the door for us. We had the timeouts saved up to setup scoring plays and just needed Iowa State to clank some free throws... and they didn't.

Sherri's nemesis finally beats us again. They deserved it.

3. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Big game tomorrow with A&M. My family's planning to be there and be very loud.

Ummm, is it proper to chant Big XII, Big XII?

Does it matter much if OU is 2nd or 3rd seed in the Big XII tourney since both still have to play each other if they win their first tourney game? But, I'd still very much like to see OU beat A&M tomorrow and again in Kansas City, a fitting Big XII send off for the defending national champions.

Does anyone project where we will be seated in the NCAA tourney? I guess that we are hoping for a 7 or 8 seed with the first 2 rounds being in Norman. We got our tix on Saturday.

4. badger

There are so many ways to make fun of Texas A&M. But, quite frankly, who gives a crap.

The all-male, all-stereotyped school that everyone looks at as backwards and silly is going to the conference that everyone else looks at as backwards and silly. I mean, seriously, only one conference's fanbase chants its conference name more than its own school. Tout your AAU status, your increase in revenue and you escaping Texas' shadow. It won't stop people from laughing at you saluting a "five star general" collie, obeying the commands of white-clad hospital orderlies and reading old man debates on whether or not to have female dance team members on a football sideline in front of a block of play-army self squeezing towel wavers reminding everyone what the first letter of the alphabet is.

But... Sherri respects the A&M womens basketball program, so please, have fun in the SEC, aggie.

SS.com game preview is here.

TV: Oklahoma City: KAUT Ch. 43 (COX 16, 714 HD)
    Tulsa: COX 3, 703 HD

Radio: Oklahoma City: KOKC 1520 AM | KREF 1400 AM
    Tulsa: KTBZ 1430 AM

Tipoff: 7 p.m. tonite

Get this: Jelina and Kay Kay as projected starters over Jo/Jaw and Stringbean Nicole. Hmmm...

If you are outta state and need some help following along, tune in tonight along with me here... but if stuff gets bad, my Android app posts are probably going to get a bit incoherent or silly.

Boomer!

5. badger

I decided to lurk at TexAgs to see if there was any typical aggie angst following a loss, and happy to report that their womens basketball fans are a lot less delusional and whiny than their football ones.

They were complimentary of the crowd, our broadcast (see? we're not all Longhorn Network losers in the remnants of the Big 12! sure you don't wanna stay???) and actually didn't complain too much about the refs. They must be used to getting tons of calls against them. Part of the "aggressive play" that Aggie is known for, I guess.

64-55

Like I was saying yesterday during my ranty play-by-play via Android app (a very fun and free download if you have the phone!), you almost feel sorry for Texas A&M, because you see the errors of their basketball ways almost every game via our Sooner mens and women's team. A second half scoring drought to start off with to build enough of a deficit that it's too much to overcome... abysmal shooting that you just can't shake...

But THEN, you remember that this is Texas A&M we are talking about. You know, the team that just won the national title last season? The team that is ranked (either 13 or 14 depending on which poll you like)? The team that we are competing to be second behind almighty Baylor in the Big 12 with? The team that is outta the conference shortly and is S-E-C! S-E-C! bound?

No pity. You suck at shooting, we get lots of ref calls and we get the win at home to tie you for second in the conference behind the top team in the country? Too bad for you, awesomeness for us :D

Top scorer: Aaryn "Vegas" Ellenberg with 23. What a night to find your shot again! Whew.

Honorable mention: Morgan "Le Tre" Hook returns to her own shooting ways with 19, including two threes.

Her foulness, the queen of fouling: Kaylon "Kay Kay" Williams has the same fouling issues that I saw in Joanna McFarland her freshman year, which prompted me to call her "Four Foul McFarland." So, Kay Kay, until you shake your nasty habit of trying to make quick things happen after personal and team mistakes, whether it be over the backing on a missed shot, or hugging a player that just stole an errant pass, you are hereby dubbed "Her Foulness." Now please, no more picking up quick silly fouls. We needed you playing more minutes last night. We could have beaten them by 20 if you did. :(

Assist assistance: Morgan had 5. We would have had more if we weren't so excited at some moments that the passes became errant. Ah well.

The lead changed 10 times, we had to really fight for this one... didn't we, Sherri?

As long as she mentioned it, we toppled the zone by our middle players going berserko in moving around constantly. No wonder she has to sub out Kay Kay, Jo-Jaw, Stringbean Nicole and Jelina (no nickname sorry... I suppose I could call her "Serbia" hehe) so much. Alas, one of these moments resulted in Nicole getting a nasty elbow to the face that could be seen the rest of the game in the form of a big bruise. OUCH.

Also, Whitney scored her 1,000th career point a few minutes into the first half, so that was cool too. :)

Next game: 5 p.m. Saturday @ Austin.

Boomer!

6. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Is it wrong that a little grin pops up on my face just about every time I read this?

Seeing as how she gets called for an illegal one just about every game, I'm leaning toward the Screen Settin' Serb.

7. badger

I am sure she has a better nickname within the team or coaching staff, but just calling her "Jaw" or "Jaw-anna" sounded a bit too... I dunno... weird. Not that "Jo-Jaw" doesn't, but... I dunno. This entire season is weird.

All of our post players get called for weird stuff. :(

So anyways... we might have had a game this weekend :mad:

25 turnovers and 25-point loss

If you really wanna know more, check the SS.com recap here.

Now usually when we embarrass ourselves to this point, SS.com tries to pretend like there was no postgame (de)press(ion) conference... but a bad loss for us is a good win for someone else, which means that all you have to do is find the opponent's big RAH-RAH fest on their athletic site for the Sherri quotes:

Oh look! Another Sherri quote!

I think we have the 3-seed in the Big 12 tourney now, which really doesn't matter, because in the end, unless Baylor's starting five and Skeletor all get punchy and technical their way out of playing for the Big 12 title and perhaps the tourney... ugggggh.

Next game: 7 p.m. Wednesday @ Tech.

Oh boy :mad:

8. PalmBeachSooner

PalmBeachSooner New Member

I've been saying for awhile now that turnovers are OU's main problem. Twenty-five turnovers in a single game is really, really bad. What concerns me heading into the post-season is that they aren't getting any better at limiting turnovers. They will be lucky to make it out of the first round of the conference and national tournaments.

At least Sherri didn't wear white pants like she did at the TAMU game. Doesn't she know it is a fashion fauxpa to where white before April no matter how good they look on her? :adoration:

9. NMSooner'80

NMSooner'80 Member

In other WBB news, I got the impression from the AP story in the local paper that Skeletor and her classy bunch inspired the TexAgs' crowd to be rather "vocal."

(borrowed from ESPN.com)
    The crowd of more than 10,000 heckled Baylor, and especially Mulkey, throughout the game, and some fans were still yelling at players as they left the court after the win. Mulkey pumped her fist and smiled as she exited and Griner put her hand to her ear and flashed a thumbs-up on her way out.

The thumbs-up is A&M's "Gig Em" hand signal, but Mulkey denied that Griner meant to mock A&M with her gesture. Griner said winning what could be the last game against A&M didn't mean any more than any other victory.

10. badger

Yeah, I saw a sizable Corps block in the student section and not a lot of empty seats on the lower level. I think the Aggies fully intended to troll the Lady Bears (if I haven't mentioned it already, I am glad that our team is just the "Sooners!") at College Station last night.

I am lurking TexAgs right now... apparently Skeletor felt a ref up last night, hehe:
    [​IMG]

I would have liked Baylor to lose, just because Skeletor is the most unlikable person in the history of womens basketball, but it is what it is. The higher they rise, the farther they'll fall... and I'll go out on a limb and say that once again, they will fall when they least desire to: The postseason.

11. badger

Man, if it wasn't Lent, there'd be NO WAY I'd be self-denying myself the watching of basketball temporarily tonite :mad:

There are TWO games that you non-Catholic based Christians need to watch tonight, and for the rest of you like me, tape them and hurry home after confessing how often you've gone to the office vending machine since Ash Wednesday :(

On the women's side!

7 p.m. tonight at Texas Tech
    TV: Sooner Sports Network via Texas Tech
    Oklahoma City: KAUT-TV 43 | Tulsa: COX 3 / 703 HD
    Radio: Oklahoma City: KREF 1400 AM

Baj's preview: When we beat them the first time, it was their first loss of the season and they were a top ten team. Now Bracketology has them outta the tournament due to tons of Big 12 losses racked up, a trend WE started, so expect the Lady Raiders to try to get revenge on us... or at least to get a statement out there that they still belong in the tourney talks.

On OU's side, we just need to minimize turnovers and continue making shots. Turnovers are so key on the road, and Texas Tech has a traditionally large, vocal fanbase (that Sherri absolutely loves and once blew a kiss to because the male students were telling her how hot she was or something... I don't remember the specifics of the story) so it will not be an easy task.

You can see the official preview at SS.com here.

On the men's side!
    8 p.m. tonight at whorn
    TV: ESPN2
    Radio: KOKC 1520 AM in Oklahoma City
    KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa
    Sirius 91
    XM 91

Web: watchespn.com

Baj's preview: Playing the spoiler is not where you want your program to be, but it's where we are on the men's side right now, and we're good at it. If KSU is relegated to the NIT, it will be because of two key losses... to us. And if Texas is relegated to the NIT also, it will be because we embarrassed them on national television tonight at their home court in (Keep) Austin (Weird). Texas absolutely needs a win here... and we really don't, but it would be nice.

The official preview at SS.com is here.

So once again, women play in Lubbock at 7 p.m. and men play in Austin at 8 p.m. BOTH TONIGHT! Enjoy the games. I'll tune in for my usual round of Internet cursing afterward when we are down 20 because we can't stop turning the ball over or make shots or play defense... which team am I referring to? Both :mad:

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. PalmBeachSooner

You gave up watching basketball for Lent?

13. badger

No, I gave up getting fast food while at work for Lent... a lot more difficult than it sounds. I decided that I was relying on the convenience of downtown unhealthy options far too much and have resolved to make a more concerted effort to bring in lunch... fruit and soup bowls and such.

But... I happen to have a church activity that coincides with the start of tonight's game, so I'll tune in for the (likely much better) second half... I mean seriously, our first halves on the women's side have SUCKED lately.

It's the opposite for the men... in that case, if you haven't tuned in by the first half, don't bother holding out hope for the second half... even if we win, we'll blow 18-point leads and rely on Poke Choke to hold on, hehe. :mad:

14. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

[​IMG]

15. badger

Sometimes I wonder why SicEm has to plague an OU womens basketball chatter with baylor sh!t... and then I'm reminded what the baylorfans.com forum looks like...

So anyways, a big hearty boo-hoo to baylor fans. Sure, you're running the table in the Big 12 now, but we all know that disappointment is just around the corner. You are Baylor, after all.

So anyways... the Sooners won last night. Need I make the score all big and bold and colored and stuff?

71-62

That moment in Jerry Maguire where Sugar mouths and signs "I. LOVE. YOU." for abandoning his top pick long enough for Sugar to sign him before the draft? Yeah, I could do that to Texas Tech.

I love you part 1: Shooting 19 for 64 (29 percent) from the floor. Seriously, LOVE YOU.

I love you part 2: Shooting 4 for 21 from three (19 percent). LOVE. YOU.

I love you part 3: Missing nine free throws (20 for 29, 69 percent). LOVE!

There was much to loathe about OU's effort last night, from the 17 turnovers to the big gooseegg on the steals stat line, to not getting to the free throw line till they were trying to stop the clock... but nothing but LOVE for Texas Tech for basically handing us victory last night on the road.

Tech hates us so much they put this up on their main page:

[​IMG]

They couldn't bear to have a shot from the game last night, so they just pretended that we were Texas, I guess. Losses tend to blend together after awhile when they're consecutive, huh? :p

SHERRI! What say you?

What say YOU, Tech coach?

Don't sugarcoat it, dear. The crowd stank last night. There were so many bright red empty seats. You would have no idea that this was a top 10, undefeated team a few months ago. We ruined your dream season. I'm sorry.

No I'm not.

Grand finale: 2 p.m. Sunday hosting Kansas. Then, onto the Big 12 tourney in Kansas City.

Boomer!

16. badger

So... we finish out the regular season hosting Kansas at 2 p.m. Sunday.

SS.com preview

Kansas had a more promising start to their season that almost made it look for awhile that the women's program might finally complement their dominant men's program. However, since KU lost its leading scorer, they have won only a single game in the last five methinks. They even lost at home to the Poke women. Doh ho ho they are screwed.

How screwed? Well, the losses at least have been close, which is why I set the line at 8.5 in our favor over at vBookie. We should win and send our seniors (or rather, "senior." Jelina Cerina, a juco transfer classified as a senior, is our only class-related departure this year. Everyone else is injured or redshirt this or that in the class that we'd normally be sending off this year. So, we get another season of Whitney Hand and Jasmine Hartman).

TV: Oklahoma City: KAUT Ch. 43 (COX 16, 714 HD)
    Tulsa: COX 3, 703 HD

Radio: Oklahoma City: KOKC 1520 AM

Boomer!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  17. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I just vomited.

18. Lott's Bandana

Lott's Bandana SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So hard

to

watch.

19. badger

It was the perfect afternoon to:

1- Eat outdoors because all of the pansy restaurant goers abowters hogged the indoor seating and it was d@mn nice outside.

2- Help NP assemble furniture. Everything arrives in a big box with mostly assembled pieces... and these little cheap screwdriver-like things so that you don't have to use a real screwdriver.

3- Ignore the game, because it was far too sad to see the ending.

I think Whitney Hand was the only one that was moving fast enough to play offense and defense that game... doesn't she look like she's about to Hulk up here or something?

[​IMG]

The weakness of the 2-3 or 3-2 zone... and you guys that have watched the men's team have already seen this many times over, especially in the second halves of games... is the corners of the court. This is where KU seemed to be hitting a majority of their open threes that we were juuuuuuuuust a little bit too slow to defend. Those d@mn corner shots were always open when we were in zone, and it happened frequently to the men's team. :(

The good thing is that it is one of the most difficult shots to make... the bad thing is when a team actually hits them. Let's fret over the stats, shall we?

8 of 18, 2 of 10: Guess which one is KU's three-point shooting stat and which one ours is.

21 of 25, 21 of 30: Guess which one is KU's free throw shooting stat and which one ours is.

Our saving grace could have been the fact that KU was in abysmal foul trouble late in the second half, which brought us to the line a lot and also stopped the clock a lot. Alas, they made their free throws and we didn't, they made their shots and we didn't, they sealed the deal and we let them hit threes. Hey look! Nascar's on! :mad:

Sherri?

In other words, Sherri will channel her inner Darth Vader in practice and say "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them."

However, just like the evil empire can just build another Death Star lah dee dah, we didn't have to earn the second seed after all:

Winning is soooo overrated. :p

Next game: I dunno. I'll post it later.

Boomer :mad:

20. PalmBeachSooner

At least they found a way to lose besides turnovers. 21-30 from the free throw line is suckage. 70% free throw shooting for a women's BB team is like batting .200 in MLB. It's below the Mendoza line.

Oh, and letting the other team shoot almost 50% (8-18) from 3-point range ain't good, but this wasn't the first time the girls have allowed that.

They play the winner of the OSU-Mizzurah game Thursday at 5PM and if they don't get their proverbial poop together they will be on their way home by 10 PM. I hope that doesn't happen.